[Game Jam] Announcing the Flaming Hot Jam!

TheBlondeBass

No longer virtual
Robot
May 10, 2020
Québec
Progress report time! I'm messing around with character states and different ways to render the game, so I've got some rudimentary fog of war going on. A square might not be the best way to represent it, but I'm pretty happy with the results so far!

pico8training.gif

Reactions: Kevin Mersereau

✨ Matt ✨

Garbage Pail Kid
May 10, 2020
Haven't been able to work on this for like five days, but I got back to it today and completed two more directional walk cycles! This time in the north and west directions. That leaves only two more directions to go before both standing and movement animations are done! I also re-implemented the wall visibility system I had in the previous build so it's much nicer now.

✨ Matt ✨

Garbage Pail Kid
May 10, 2020
Day eight of learning to code! Didn't work on my project a lot today. Just got Audacity running, recorded some audio for my game, and learned to animate skeletons and 2D meshes. Used what I learned to add trees that shake when you walk through them. Was a pain, but turned out well!

lewness

May 28, 2020
I just signed up! I've been programming for 10+ years (in embedded and web development) and I've been meaning to learn game programming for a long while and I even got some materials for it (trainings and such) but never really got around to even starting it. Are people going solo or doing teams?

Last edited:

TheBlondeBass

No longer virtual
Robot
May 10, 2020
Québec
I'm going solo since I know the theme (to be revealed Sunday!) in advance. I know some people were looking for teams, maybe Limo/Prins would be interested? Worth asking around :)

RolanberryPrins

Aggressive Crybaby
May 10, 2020
NGL i totally thought it started today for some reason. The 18th just stuck in my head i dunno why. So I woke up and checked the qposts and was like "aw, Bass hasnt posted the theme yet" and then I realized I was off by a few days. whoops.

TheBlondeBass

No longer virtual
Robot
May 10, 2020
Québec
It has finally begun! The Flaming Hot Jam's theme is.... WHAT WAS LOST.

The game should be themed around loss in one shape or another. The phrasing was chosen to allow you to tackle it in a few different ways, for example using the act of losing as a mechanic, or focusing on the thing itself that was lost. (and also to avoid receiving a bunch of meme games about a certain webcomic)

Hopefully this inspires you as you come up with your game ideas!

Outside from that, here's a reminder of the other rules of the competition. There will be none added beyond this.
- All entries to the Flaming Hot Jam must be entirely free (that means no in-game purchases)
- Entries may not include copyrighted content. Copyrighted music, assets and characters are a no-go.
- Games must at least be playable on Windows or in a web browser. You may also target other platforms on top.
- Be nice. Entries may be disqualified for discriminatory or mean-spirited content.

I hope you have fun over the next two months and create something you can feel proud of!

✨ Matt ✨

Garbage Pail Kid
May 10, 2020
While I'm keeping my idea for the game jam secret for the moment, I wanted to post an update on my progress on learning to code! Finally finished the walking animations and learned how to add decorations via layered tilesets!

Roager

Rogue Ogre
May 11, 2020
I'm basically nowhere. Been trying to talk my fiance into helping with the art assets, but she's low on time and it's been stalled.

Thankfully, my plan is fairly minimalist anyway, so it should still be possible to finish it.

Reactions: TheBlondeBass

AtomicBanana

Technically the best. Literally the worst.
May 11, 2020
Oof I am so new at Unity and programming I'm basically just blasting through the tutorials on their main site.

It's really cool to learn, even if I have literally nothing to show off.

Huzzah for learning about switches today!

Reactions: TheBlondeBass