Film Recommendation Thread

May 10, 2020
We have a thread about our 5 favorite film, so why don’t we make one for films we’d recommend others should see. It can be any films, international or not, even ones you think most people might have watched.

I’ll start out with some Mass Mikkelsen goodies which more international audiences need to see.

The Salvation, a modern Danish directed western film, which is certainly unique alone but overall the film doesn’t over step the boundaries set by its classic Ennio Morricone composed contemporaries. If you like Mass Mikkelsen, however, you’ll find he is plenty good in this film along with Eva Green.

The film should be streaming internationally on Amazon Prime, I believe. Don’t quote me on that though as what the streaming services has to offer varies from country to country etc.

Primer is such an excellent high concept time travel film without all of the special effects of its Hollywood contemporaries like The Time Machine or Donnie Darko or whatever. Because it is a budget film, it had to rely on the natural, grounded dialogue of the actors and the creators immense study of theoretical physics to sell its premise and it really does this in the way that you’d probably need a pen to write down some of the several plot points being established. I imagine quite a lot of people might have seen Primer at this point, but those who haven’t do yourself a favor and go do it.

Last I checked Primer streamed on Netflix but it might have since been removed.

Last edited:
Reactions: RiffRaff
May 10, 2020
I just saw The Colour Out of Space last night!

It was a highly enjoyable film. I think it stumbles a little when it tries to do conventional action/horror sequences, but thankfully those are fewer and far between. For the most part, you get a moody and atmospheric film -- one that's more focused on its cast and their own issues -- with a few nice bits of body horror thrown in for good measure.

Couple that with a gorgeous colour palette that reminds me of the best parts of Annihilation, and it's definitely a film that's worth your time if you're into horror.

Also, it's got some good Nicolas Cage freak outs.

View attachment 229
Sounds interesting, is it streaming anywhere?

May 10, 2020
It's currently available to rent on iTunes and Google Play, I think.

I kinda just picked it up on the former. Wanted to see it, regardless.
Ah nuts, I don’t have either, might pick it up on Blu-Ray if it gets physical release.

This reminds me, I really hope Criterion’s streaming services becomes available internationally in the future.

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
I just saw The Colour Out of Space last night!

It was a highly enjoyable film. I think it stumbles a little when it tries to do conventional action/horror sequences, but thankfully those are fewer and far between. For the most part, you get a moody and atmospheric film -- one that's more focused on its cast and their own issues -- with a few nice bits of body horror thrown in for good measure.

Couple that with a gorgeous colour palette that reminds me of the best parts of Annihilation, and it's definitely a film that's worth your time if you're into horror.

Also, it's got some good Nicolas Cage freak outs.

View attachment 229
Soon as I can find the blu-ray I'm all over this. And holy hell I love that poster!!!

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy

Primer is such an excellent high concept time travel film without all of the special effects of its Hollywood contemporaries like The Time Machine or Donnie Darko or whatever. Because it is a budget film, it had to rely on the natural, grounded dialogue of the actors and the creators immense study of theoretical physics to sell its premise and it really does this in the way that you’d probably need a pen to write down some of the several plot points being established. I imagine quite a lot of people might have seen Primer at this point, but those who haven’t do yourself a favor and go do it.

Last I checked Primer streamed on Netflix but it might have since been removed.

Primer is so damn great! +1 for that!

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
Posted this over in my favorite films thread, but might as well drop it here too. I found the official censored version of Troma's Terror Firmer on Youtube and it's fucking hilarious. Lloyd Kaufman comes on camera describes what's happening in the naughty scenes and it got my sides splitting. The uncut version is well worth hunting down too.

May 10, 2020
Yeah...

I still buy a lot of anime Blu-Rays, since it's usually the only way to "own" a copy of a series. But for movies, I often go for digital ones now. It's just a habit from when I was living in my bedroom and was feeling space constraints hit hard -- especially given how much physical anime I own, haha!
Same, I just bought the Garden of Sinners film box set, it finally got a European box set, thinking about getting Haikyuu or Baccano on Blu-ray.