[Poll] Would a summer game jam interest people?

Would you be interested in participating in a game jam? (Select the option that applies most)

• Yes, over a short time frame (A weekend)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, over a medium time frame (A week)

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Yes, over a long time frame (By the end of the summer)

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • No, but I would like to play/judge creations

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • No, I am not interested

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheBlondeBass

No longer virtual
Robot
May 10, 2020
Québec
While everyone's stuck at home, I figured it could be fun to make a Destructoid game jam! Just putting a poll in here to see who'd be interested in participating in one.

What is a game jam?

It's a contest where teams challenge themselves to make the best video game they can in a limited amount of time. To ensure people don't start working on their project in advance, a theme is revealed on day 1 of the jam. Your game has to fit that theme.

The most well-known, Ludum Dare, takes place over a weekend. We could customize our jam's length to fit the schedule of people on here.

Here are some games I worked on during game jams, as an example!

games.jpg

Could I be useful in one?

People who can code are obviously a plus, but a lot of different elements come together to make a game. You could write custom music, draw sprites or sculpt models, write some dialogue, design some elements of the game, etc!

Reactions: Kevin Mersereau

Xeo

May 10, 2020
I particularly love the horror game jam games. I love to see someone's idea set around a them manifest into what they consider horror. Sometimes we get some really inventive and sometimes even unsettling creations. I can't participate myself, as I don't know shit about developing games, even without a strict time constraint. But I love the idea of playing others!

TheBlondeBass

No longer virtual
Robot
May 10, 2020
Québec
It's easier than you think contributing without any precious experience! Ludum Dare was my first game-making experience -- it helps to have someone in your team who's gone through the song and dance before, though.

RolanberryPrins

Aggressive Crybaby
May 10, 2020
I'd be down, tho I think if most people (like me) are new or inexperienced with dev tools the jam should be longer to add some "getting used to the system" time.

Reactions: TheBlondeBass

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
I have zero talent in anything regrading game creation, but would happy to be a play tester and tell you what things are fun and what's not :)

Roager

Rogue Ogre
May 11, 2020
I think it's a rad idea, but I'm unfamiliar with actual creation tools and it makes me feel like I'd be dead weight.

TheBlondeBass

No longer virtual
Robot
May 10, 2020
Québec
While that sounds absurdly cool, I'm not sure how we could submit a board game on itch.io, which I was thinking of using to regroup all entries :(

Maybe we could keep a spreadsheet on the side for non-video games?

Anthony Marzano

Excel Sheet Strategy Game Enthusiast
Staff member
Robot
Apr 16, 2020
Man you must have missed the time I paid 5 dollars for a game from a jam on itch.io that was a three paragraph PDF about a game you can play on the road and the bridges you pass under it. I was less than pleased.

• Wow
Reactions: Roager