[Staff AMA - July 21] Menashe Kestenbaum/RavMenace

Nekro

Totally Wholesome Magical Girl
Staff member
Robot
Feb 14, 2020
Soulbow is Canadian. Enthusiast Gaming is Canadian. Soulbow is Qtoid's most avid Gfuel obsessive, and EG/Destructoid recently got sponsored by Gfuel.

Is it all a big coincidence, or is Soulbow secretly pulling the strings? Maybe you were Soulbow this whole time! How do you feel about the nu metal band, Disturbed?

Reactions: vxxy

Zalno

Dude who shouts "NYEH!"
Jun 8, 2020

RavMenace

Destructoid Staff
Staff member
Robot
Apr 26, 2020
1. What type of games do you like to play?

I'm pretty eclectic. I took an interesting route in my gaming tastes. I started off loving Nintendo from NES through GCN as a kid, and basically bought every game Nintendo made along with adventure games on PC, like Grim Fandango, Monkey Island, King's Quest, etc. During the Wii era I developed a massive hard-on for indie games. That supplemented my love of Nintendo with a healthy dose of indie PC games throughout the Wii and Wii U era. More recently, though, I've started to expand my tastes to a lot of FPS and competitive or coop games that I had never discovered before. Like Borderlands series, Warframe, and even... Fortnite (shame shame)

2. What is your favorite console?

SNES. Switch though is totally crushing it

3. Do you have any recommendations from The Hive's menu?

Just the alcohol. I come for the people and the alcohol, not the food

4. Is there any gaming moment that changed your life?

Many. Super Mario World made me fall in love with platformers. Earthbound made me fall in love with RPGs. Ocarina of Time made me fall in love with action-adventure games. And Metroid Prime expanded my horizons to the first person perspective.

5. How do you pronounce Menashe? Because of my Spanish speaking side, I just noticed I have been doing it wrong

Mih - naash (emphasis on the naash)

6. Shigeru Miyamoto decides to visit EG. What is the first thing you would show?

I would faint. Or trip over myself

7. Sometimes, do you wish you had more time to play videogames?

Always. Running a public company and having a family is incredibly annoying. I long to be a kid again. (just kidding wife, I love you, if you're reading this)

8. What is your favorite site from the network? Why is it Destructoid?

Don't make me pick a favorite kid.

9. Were you expecting more professional questions in this ama?

This was great

10. Did I ask too many questions?

Nope. Keep on going!

Reactions: EricWeichhart

RavMenace

Destructoid Staff
Staff member
Robot
Apr 26, 2020
What's the one achievement that you've been most proud of in your time as Enthusiast's CEO?
Feeding 280 mouths. Creating jobs for people who really like what they're doing and want a career in the video game industry.

RavMenace

Destructoid Staff
Staff member
Robot
Apr 26, 2020
Next year Destructoid will celebrate its 15th anniversary. What do you see this site being when it celebrates its 20th?
The site that people have started to say, 'This place is way better than IGN! It's more authentic and in touch with their community. They're creating a place that feels like a family and is genuine' And then let it become as big as IGN in terms of community but still retain all its quirks and 'unprofessionalism' that keeps us from being stuck up 'suits'

RavMenace

Destructoid Staff
Staff member
Robot
Apr 26, 2020
Favorite game?
Games you’d like to see appear on the twitch stream?
Some of my favorite games of all time:

Super Mario World
Earthbound
Ocarina of Time
Final Fantasy 7 (the original)
Chrono Trigger
Metroid Prime
Super Metroid
Grim Fandango
Planescape Torment
Dark Souls
Breath of the Wild

Reactions: Torchman

RavMenace

Destructoid Staff
Staff member
Robot
Apr 26, 2020
Soulbow is Canadian. Enthusiast Gaming is Canadian. Soulbow is Qtoid's most avid Gfuel obsessive, and EG/Destructoid recently got sponsored by Gfuel.

Is it all a big coincidence, or is Soulbow secretly pulling the strings? Maybe you were Soulbow this whole time! How do you feel about the nu metal band, Disturbed?
I cannot confirm or deny such allegations about Soulbow.

Disturbed is one of my favorites!

Nekro

Staff member
Robot
Feb 14, 2020
Do you have one movie, TV show, anime, or other piece of media that you always find yourself going back to time and time again? Something that really sticks in the back of your mind, or that resonated with you in a significant manner?

EricWeichhart

Kidnapped my Mr. Destructoid. Send cooks!
Staff member
Robot
Apr 15, 2020
10. Did I ask too many questions?

Nope. Keep on going!
In that case, here are more!

11. Did a game made you cry? (In my case, only FFX and Earthbound)
12. Warframe, Rav, when is Warframe?
13. What was your favorite Dreezy's stream?
14. What was your favorite troll to Dreezy?
15. Why is your avatar so cute?
16. Why is my avatar so creepy?
17. Pikmin 3 or Xenoblade X, what should be ported first to Switch?
18. If Mr. Destructoid had a kid, what would you call it? (not officially, of course)
19. Root beer is not available where I live. Once I'm able to buy one, which brand is the best?
20. Are you gonna give me up, gonna let me down, run around and desert me? Make me cry, say good bye, tell me a lie and hurt me?

Reactions: Torchman

Torchman

Mecha Lord of Dtoid
Staff member
Robot
Apr 15, 2020
Some of my favorite games of all time:

Super Mario World
Earthbound
Ocarina of Time
Final Fantasy 7 (the original)
Chrono Trigger
Metroid Prime
Super Metroid
Grim Fandango
Planescape Torment
Dark Souls
Breath of the Wild
Ooohhh good picks.

Favorite game soundtrack?

Game you feel you'd be able to face the community in and win?

Reactions: Nekro

RavMenace

Destructoid Staff
Staff member
Robot
Apr 26, 2020
Do you have one movie, TV show, anime, or other piece of media that you always find yourself going back to time and time again? Something that really sticks in the back of your mind, or that resonated with you in a significant manner?
When I was younger, yes. But as I got older I've found that movies, shows, and anime that I loved when I was a kid or teen don't always hold up. So I can't think of anything right now.

That said, I just finished HunterxHunter and I loved it. And currently marathoning crazy amounts of One Piece

RavMenace

Destructoid Staff
Staff member
Robot
Apr 26, 2020
Ooohhh good picks.

Favorite game soundtrack?

Game you feel you'd be able to face the community in and win?
Favorite soundtrack is really hard. I loved so many. I'd say my favorite composers are Koji Kondo and Nobuo Uematsu. So all the soundtracks they made!

RavMenace

Destructoid Staff
Staff member
Robot
Apr 26, 2020
In that case, here are more!

11. Did a game made you cry? (In my case, only FFX and Earthbound)
12. Warframe, Rav, when is Warframe?
13. What was your favorite Dreezy's stream?
14. What was your favorite troll to Dreezy?
15. Why is your avatar so cute?
16. Why is my avatar so creepy?
17. Pikmin 3 or Xenoblade X, what should be ported first to Switch?
18. If Mr. Destructoid had a kid, what would you call it? (not officially, of course)
19. Root beer is not available where I live. Once I'm able to buy one, which brand is the best?
20. Are you gonna give me up, gonna let me down, run around and desert me? Make me cry, say good bye, tell me a lie and hurt me?
11. FFX and Earthbound both made me cry as well. And Chrono Trigger
12. Always
13. When he cried in one of his earliest streams because people were donating and he realized he may actually have a career in streaming.
14. I liked how Warframe turned into a channel meme, so anytime we troll him with Warframe in any way possible
15. Cuz its my adorable son
16. Because it's your bastard son
17. Xenoblade X
18. He already officially announced that he cannot procreate. He may adopt though
19. I hate root beer. But I love beer
20. I'm never gonna give you up

Nekro

Staff member
Robot
Feb 14, 2020
When I was younger, yes. But as I got older I've found that movies, shows, and anime that I loved when I was a kid or teen don't always hold up. So I can't think of anything right now.

That said, I just finished HunterxHunter and I loved it. And currently marathoning crazy amounts of One Piece
Not a question, but I’m on Hunter X Hunter right now and holy fuck it’s so good! The chimera ant arc, so far, is just damn solid.

Nekro

Staff member
Robot
Feb 14, 2020
Favourite Final Fantasy game, go!

DtoidJordan

Administrator
Staff member
Robot
Apr 15, 2020
Is there a particular game or series you're dying to "introduce" to your kids?