[Staff AMA - July 29] Chris Carter

Nekro

Totally Wholesome Magical Girl
Staff member
Robot
Feb 14, 2020
Here's the AMA thread for Chris Carter!

"Honestly, I’m not sure Chris even needs an introduction. He’s been our co-editor-in-chief for many years now, and his sheer dedication to the job is nothing short of impressive. Without him, we wouldn’t have half as many quality game reviews on our site as we do now.

While many of you have asked him if a game he’s reviewed is as good as A Link Between Worlds at least once or twice, I’m sure there’s other questions that you’ve got for him. So join us for that!"

Feel free to ask him anything when we unlock this thread at 10AM on July 29.

Chris Carter

Destructoid Staff
Staff member
Robot
Apr 23, 2020
How much do you roll you eyes at us when we compare one of your reviews to Link Between Worlds
I actually like it! It reminds me that people read my stuff even if they disagree. Jim had to deal with Vanquish review callouts for years and I think he enjoyed it as well to some degree that people cared enough to mention it.

The few (I stress, only a few) death threats *during* the actual review weren't so fun. But all of the memes afterward are great. I usually upvote or feature those comments, haha.

May 10, 2020
I often get compared to you as a "player of way too many damn games" - I have anywhere from about 5-10 games going at the same time and I bop in and out of them as my moods shift. I keep an excel sheet of what I play and it's just under 400 titles in the last 3.5 years.

I know what works for me, but how do you get all those games going to write nearly every review for the site? How many do you have running at the same time? Do you schedule this out? Is it more of a: I play what I want whenever? Does it feel like work (it is, but do you still have fun with it?).

Nekro

Staff member
Robot
Feb 14, 2020
Are there any movies, TV series’ or anime that you keep coming back to time and time again whenever you just need to sit down and unwind with the entertainment equivalent of comfort food? And if so, what are they?

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
Heya Chris! First off, thanks for all you do for the site! Really enjoy your reviews and articles :)
What's your favorite breakfast cereal?
Favorite Soulsborne weapon?
Got a good summertime vegetarian recipe?
What culture would you like see represented in an Assassin's Creed game? (or any other history based game/series)

Reactions: ChrisMoyse

Chris Carter

Destructoid Staff
Staff member
Robot
Apr 23, 2020
I often get compared to you as a "player of way too many damn games" - I have anywhere from about 5-10 games going at the same time and I bop in and out of them as my moods shift. I keep an excel sheet of what I play and it's just under 400 titles in the last 3.5 years.

I know what works for me, but how do you get all those games going to write nearly every review for the site? How many do you have running at the same time? Do you schedule this out? Is it more of a: I play what I want whenever? Does it feel like work (it is, but do you still have fun with it?).
Oh man, I used to do spreadsheets for stuff I watched/played but as I moved into games writing full-time it became too unwieldy. For TV-watching (I average 10-15 shows a week or so) I use an app now, but that's mostly to keep track of when shows are airing and the database it builds of my watch-history is just a bonus.

It can be tough sometimes. I started the "Reviews in Progress" system mere months into my tenure as Reviews Director for this reason. Work/life balance is really hard and most of the time, life is more important. So in those cases where I'd have to "crunch," I opted for an in-progress review instead and reviewed it at my leisure. I extend this program to every one of my writers for the same reason and frequently extend deadlines.

Luckily I get some game assignments 1-2 weeks in advance, and in the modern era, it's not uncommon for games to be 5-10 hours in length. Back in the day when I had to cut my teeth reviewing JRPGs, it could get tougher. I also have to give a huge shout-out to my wife, who helps me with multiplayer games!

I actually wrote a guide a long time ago around the time when I became full-time staff on how to play more games, and I hope it helped some people:

https://www.destructoid.com/stories/a-handy-guide-to-finding-time-to-play-videogames-253530.phtml

Fendibull

May 24, 2020
Hey Chris, thanks for doing this. I'm a big Masters of the Universe fan, me and Occams have a mutual interest in the franchise.

1. Few years ago, Sony made a announcement that Master of the Universe will hit big screen at least in 2022, since this is still pre production, what would you suggest the route for the direction of the movie? Game of Thrones? Walking Dead? Thor? or anything that can make people love big muscular & Sword and Sorcery again?

2. What do you think of MOTU: Revelation? As it tagged as: from Castlevania Netflix Animator, Game of Throne like, Kevin Smith presents, and Filmation Sequel. did you saw the lineup for the Netflix TV series? it was crazy right?

3. I have this big dream thing that I wanna ask you, Would you want to be in Powercon? I'm saying this because I want to spread gospel of Masters of the Universe so people would recognize the franchise isn't gone yet.

Chris Carter

Destructoid Staff
Staff member
Robot
Apr 23, 2020
I'm perpetually amazed by your sheer gaming throughput. On average, how many hours a day do you think you spend gaming? And what's the breakdown between gaming for Destructoid vs. gaming for yourself?
Whoa that's a tough question because it varies from day to day.

On a work day where I get in and do my morning news run, then immediately go to a review assignment: probably eight hours. When I don't have anything pressing to review, a little less than that.

I try to experience most new releases on any given week so I can talk about them and try new things/stay sharp - that's kind of a mix between gaming for Destructoid and gaming for myself. I play pretty much everything, even "poison" genres a lot of general interest writers might not touch, like MMOs, MOBAs, free-to-play stuff and sports games.

As far as gaming for myself goes, I have a small list of things I've played nearly every week (Magic: Arena, Heroes of the Storm), and those usually consist of "bite-sized" matches that I can get in and get out of. Magic I can play while watching TV. Heroes I play with my wife, who likes it even more than I do.

My main secret is that I never get tired or bored of playing games (as far as the big picture goes): a good quality to have when I have to handle most of the reviews for a big site!

ChrisMoyse

Be Kind to People
Staff member
Robot
Apr 15, 2020
Here are some questions I've almost certainly asked you before:

What are your three favourite TV shows of the modern era (say from 2005)?

What one game was the "hardest" to review? (In regards to either staying succinct, or how deeply layered it was, or how torn you were between the good/bad aspects etc?)

What three video game characters would you like amiibo of, no limitations?

What's your favourite film series of four films or more?

What's the most prized item in your entire collection?

If you met a younger iteration of yourself, What advice or words would you have for them?

Chris Carter

Destructoid Staff
Staff member
Robot
Apr 23, 2020
Are there any movies, TV series’ or anime that you keep coming back to time and time again whenever you just need to sit down and unwind with the entertainment equivalent of comfort food? And if so, what are they?
I love the loaded question of including anime here: Trigun is my favorite anime, so that's one!

Tarantino movies I can generally watch over and over because I'll discover some new weird Tarantino-esque factoid each time.

In general though, I like experiencing new things more often than not. But I never forget the things I've watched, and will frequently go back and re-visit them. One summer, when I was a kid, I watched Goofy Movie every night until school started back up again. Years later I got to watch it with my wife for the first time; and one day, I'll watch it with my kid. Experiencing something for the first time with someone also helps with that sense of newness!

Nekro

Staff member
Robot
Feb 14, 2020
Trigun, huh? Have you seen Kekkai Sensen yet?

I mean, I guess that’s a question, but it’s mostly a recommendation! Go watch Kekkai Sensen if you haven’t already.

Reactions: Chris Carter

Chris Carter

Destructoid Staff
Staff member
Robot
Apr 23, 2020
Heya Chris! First off, thanks for all you do for the site! Really enjoy your reviews and articles :)
What's your favorite breakfast cereal?
Favorite Soulsborne weapon?
Got a good summertime vegetarian recipe?
What culture would you like see represented in an Assassin's Creed game? (or any other history based game/series)
Thanks a lot for the shout-out, it means a lot.

1) I changed my eating habits a lot in the past five years or so since I went vegetarian, and eventually vegan (for a variety of reasons, but dairy gives me 3-day migraines, so go figure). If I eat cereal, which is rare, I usually eat boring Cheerios since I can't have marshmallows anymore (gelatin).

That said, I would mess up a box of Spider-Man cereal back in the day. The marshmallows were pretty standard, but the wheat in the actual cereal ripped. It's a shame it was discontinued.

2) This isn't a weapon per se, but sword + board is my favorite loadout in general. I'd say most of my many runs for each game include it just because it feels so thematic and it perfectly suits my playstyle. I was dismayed when Bloodborne's shield was basically reduced to a joke item, haha.

To answer the actual question: The Drake Sword.

3) Yes! This Mac and Cheese recipe is actually really good, and I've had many people comment on it when I make it for cookouts. It basically substitutes vegetables as the "cheese sauce" and it's fun to make.

https://vegnews.com/2018/7/vegnews-best-ever-vegan-macaroni-and-cheese

I've been experimenting with my own cashew cheese sauce a lot this summer actually. Kevin Smith said this recently, but vegans have really nailed cheese!

I used to be a huge cheese-head. I'd hold fancy cheese parties at my old office (before Dtoid) and challenge co-workers to bring in a cheese no one had ever heard of, then supply the crackers to eat throughout the day and bring in my own cheese challenge. But the stuff that's being made now is pretty insane and almost identical (and in many cases, sharper than most "mainstream" cheeses). It was the toughest thing to give up at first; but in the end, the easiest. /end cheese rant

4) Japan. But Ghost of Tsushima did it so well they might cancel those plans for a while.

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
That recipe looks hella good! My wife will love that as will I!!!
A big part why I could never go vegan is I could never give up cheese (and seafood. I'm pescatarian), especially living in Italy where there are so many good ones and it's so deeply ingrained in the culture. I do buy some cashew based ones from time to time and their quality has definitely gotten better tenfold over the years. Haven't tried making my own yet; I should definitely try :)

The Drake Sword is awesome! If not for that sword I don't think I would have ever gotten into the Souls games like I did. It was like an 'easy' mode to get me used to this new type of game. As time went on I became a big fan of great swords and ultra great swords (Holy Moonlight sword ftw!)

Reactions: Chris Carter

Chris Carter

Destructoid Staff
Staff member
Robot
Apr 23, 2020
Hey Chris, thanks for doing this. I'm a big Masters of the Universe fan, me and Occams have a mutual interest in the franchise.

1. Few years ago, Sony made a announcement that Master of the Universe will hit big screen at least in 2022, since this is still pre production, what would you suggest the route for the direction of the movie? Game of Thrones? Walking Dead? Thor? or anything that can make people love big muscular & Sword and Sorcery again?

2. What do you think of MOTU: Revelation? As it tagged as: from Castlevania Netflix Animator, Game of Throne like, Kevin Smith presents, and Filmation Sequel. did you saw the lineup for the Netflix TV series? it was crazy right?

3. I have this big dream thing that I wanna ask you, Would you want to be in Powercon? I'm saying this because I want to spread gospel of Masters of the Universe so people would recognize the franchise isn't gone yet.
Thanks for sending in questions!

1) I'm also a big Masters of the Universe fan. I was hooked on the TV show and actually enjoyed the movie at the time: sure it was campy, but Frank Langella was an incredible Skeletor and his portrayal in the finale sticks with me as one of the creepiest on-screen characters of all time. It's amazing that he's still a working actor, he's great.

Man...that's tough, in terms of nailing the tone of a modern day Masters of the Universe adaptation. If I had that answer some screenwriter would gladly steal it. I think an extremely grimdark angle has shown time and time again to be a failure at the box office. They'd probably have to keep it Marvel-esque: a dash of seriousness but somewhat silly and fun for families. Thor: Ragnarok is probably the best they can hope for.

2) I'm really looking forward to it, and I'm a fan of Kevin Smith overall and Powerhouse Animation has put out good work so far.

3) If I had the opportunity to visit Power-Con I probably would! I love Anaheim. Maybe one day.

Chris Carter

Destructoid Staff
Staff member
Robot
Apr 23, 2020
Do you sleep? If so for how long? I think I average 9 hours a night.
I get roughly 8 hours, sometimes a little less if my brain is on overdrive. I go to bed a lot earlier than most of my peers: polling people, I think most of my friends go to sleep around midnight.

I used to have sleeping issues, but what really helped me is cutting off caffeine entirely after 3PM. I've been doing it for about a year now.