[Staff AMA - July 29] Chris Carter

Fendibull

May 24, 2020
3) If I had the opportunity to visit Power-Con I probably would! I love Anaheim. Maybe one day.

I'll try to ask and contact the administrator if he's okay to bring you on. I love when getting people group together. ;)

Chris Carter

Destructoid Staff
Staff member
Robot
Apr 23, 2020
Here are some questions I've almost certainly asked you before:

What are your three favourite TV shows of the modern era (say from 2005)?

What one game was the "hardest" to review? (In regards to either staying succinct, or how deeply layered it was, or how torn you were between the good/bad aspects etc?)

What three video game characters would you like amiibo of, no limitations?

What's your favourite film series of four films or more?

What's the most prized item in your entire collection?

If you met a younger iteration of yourself, What advice or words would you have for them?
1) Better Call Saul, You're the Worst, The Leftovers.

2005-on is a good era to pick. The post-Sopranos-era TV renaissance with The Office/30 Rock/Breaking Bad all starting at roughly the same time.

2) It's tough to pick out one game, but the hardest reviews for me are the ones where something is fun, but might have a ton of jank. You really have to weigh what the most important thing is to you and then communicate that.

Deadly Premonition 2 was one of those times, not to mention the immense baggage of having to live up to the initial review.

3) Chris Redfield (so I can have a Chris amiibo), Vyse from Skies of Arcadia and Ghaleon from Lunar.

4) Haha you eliminated a ton of options by not allowing me to pick a trilogy: so I can't say Lord of the Rings.

Mission Impossible. The series has really improved and the last few films were really sharp.

5) It's not the most rare item, but either the Fulton keychain from Metal Gear Solid 5 (because I won it as a prize for winning a Metal Gear Online match live at TGS in Tokyo), or a miniature re-creation of my World of Warcraft character in the BlizzCon diorama.

https://www.destructoid.com/stories/-update-blizzcon-s-world-of-warcraft-diorama-featuring-real-player-characters-is-an-incredible-feat-470915.phtml

6) Probably that things will get better.

Chris Carter

Destructoid Staff
Staff member
Robot
Apr 23, 2020
Trigun, huh? Have you seen Kekkai Sensen yet?

I mean, I guess that’s a question, but it’s mostly a recommendation! Go watch Kekkai Sensen if you haven’t already.
I have! Actually, it was directly due to a community member's recommendation via the comment section when I was talking about Trigun on the front page. This community is great.

Reactions: Kevin Mersereau

CelicaCrazed

May 10, 2020
Canada
www.instagram.com
Hi Chris!

1) I was always curious how you deal with gaming burnout or if you don't find it to be too much of an issue?

2) I was pretty much done with the Legend of Zelda after the last few games but your constant love for BotW on the FP convinced me to check it out and I can see why. Still haven't beat it but I've been enjoying it way more than I was expecting. What are you hoping to see in the sequel to make the game even better?

Chris Carter

Destructoid Staff
Staff member
Robot
Apr 23, 2020
Hi Chris!

1) I was always curious how you deal with gaming burnout or if you don't find it to be too much of an issue?

2) I was pretty much done with the Legend of Zelda after the last few games but your constant love for BotW on the FP convinced me to check it out and I can see why. Still haven't beat it but I've been enjoying it way more than I was expecting. What are you hoping to see in the sequel to make the game even better?
Hey! Nice to see you again: digitally.

1) I don't ever get burned out. I might not like a particular game, but I'm ready to play something else next at all times.

2) The removal of weapon durability and themed dungeons are probably the two major things everyone is looking for.

Though, I never really found both of those to be dealbreakers in the original. I always made sure to keep a decent supply of weapons available and the durability system never really impacted me all that much during my entire playthrough. I also enjoyed the Divine Beasts, even if they didn't measure up to a lot of classic dungeons.

Torchman

Mecha Lord of Dtoid
Staff member
Robot
Apr 15, 2020
Favourite review or article you’ve written on dtoid?

Seymour Demonica

Badonkadonk Monk
Jun 9, 2020
www.youtube.com
Sup, Lil' Pumpy.

Should the Souls-like franchise be, henceforth, known as "Sekisoulsbournes"? I coined that at Sekiro's launch whilst playing the game and it hasn't fucking caught on.

Do you still get genuine hate messages (on Twitter) or @'s from people mad about your A Link Between Worlds review?

Do you think critique hinders or helps your ability to enjoy games sometimes? I, personally, love internalizing everything into one compartinated thought stream (even and maybe even especially as I play). Whether I decide to post that or not.

Give me your most obscure, low-key vidja garme recommendation you can give me (that's actually easily accessible like being available on Steam/GOG, for example).

Do you remember my fronted piece on my mom giving you all her thoughts on the "hottest men in gaming"? She now thinks you're hawt.

Chris Carter

Destructoid Staff
Staff member
Robot
Apr 23, 2020
Favourite review or article you’ve written on dtoid?
I just looked, and I have over 14,000 front page posts for Destructoid. I believe that's more than any other writer in the site's history.

There's a lot to choose from!

I like writing Nintendo reviews. Those usually garner a lot of discussion from fans and I love reading the comments for them.

To answer your question, probably Final Fantasy VII Remake, as far as recent reviews go. I had a lot of fun writing it and gathering up tips that no one had discovered yet because the strategy guide wasn't out.

Beating any Souls game pre-launch, devoid of guides, is also an amazing experience. Being the first person to launch a guide on where to complete the Dancing Dragon Mask was a thrill.

Reactions: Torchman

Chris Carter

Destructoid Staff
Staff member
Robot
Apr 23, 2020
Sup, Lil' Pumpy.

Should the Souls-like franchise be, henceforth, known as "Sekisoulsbournes"? I coined that at Sekiro's launch whilst playing the game and it hasn't fucking caught on.

Do you still get genuine hate messages (on Twitter) or @'s from people mad about your A Link Between Worlds review?

Do you think critique hinders or helps your ability to enjoy games sometimes? I, personally, love internalizing everything into one compartinated thought stream (even and maybe even especially as I play). Whether I decide to post that or not.

Give me your most obscure, low-key vidja garme recommendation you can give me (that's actually easily accessible like being available on Steam/GOG, for example).

Do you remember my fronted piece on my mom giving you all her thoughts on the "hottest men in gaming"? She now thinks you're hawt.
Haha that Jim nickname really stuck, I love it.

1) I think they should all be "Demons-likes," because Demon's Souls is still the best entry and everything should be held to its standard.

2) No, not at all. Not genuine ones. Mostly in jest. In all seriousness, a 6.5 isn't that bad of a score! Maybe if I went lower.

3) No, surprisingly not. It's easy to get cynical about a lot of things about this industry, but not the games themselves. That's why I love my position: because it puts me in front of games more than any other facet of the industry.

4) Haha that's easily accessible! I was about to rail off a few obscure PS2 action games that you'd need to hunt for.

I had to think about this one for a bit, but - AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! — A Reckless Disregard for Gravity - which is on Steam.

I really loved "Jumping Flash!" back in the day, so I'm constantly on the lookout for games like it.

5) Yep, I remember that!

Chris Carter

Destructoid Staff
Staff member
Robot
Apr 23, 2020
That recipe looks hella good! My wife will love that as will I!!!
A big part why I could never go vegan is I could never give up cheese (and seafood. I'm pescatarian), especially living in Italy where there are so many good ones and it's so deeply ingrained in the culture. I do buy some cashew based ones from time to time and their quality has definitely gotten better tenfold over the years. Haven't tried making my own yet; I should definitely try :)

The Drake Sword is awesome! If not for that sword I don't think I would have ever gotten into the Souls games like I did. It was like an 'easy' mode to get me used to this new type of game. As time went on I became a big fan of great swords and ultra great swords (Holy Moonlight sword ftw!)
I have a few friends who live in Italy, and the idea of giving up anything is much harder for them, so I definitely understand!

CeeJay

Destructoid Staff
Staff member
Robot
Apr 26, 2020
What is one developer that you think never gets its proper due?

Chris Carter

Destructoid Staff
Staff member
Robot
Apr 23, 2020
What is one developer that you think never gets its proper due?
I would say Sucker Punch before Ghost of Tsushima. Way too many people slept on Sly Cooper, which is one of the best mascot platformer franchises ever made and a strong reason why the PS2 is arguably the most entertaining console of all time.

Overall, I'd say Treasure. They had a run creating classic after classic and then sadly had to lay off most of their studio: their greatness was recognized way too late. With the proper support I think they could have made some absolute bangers on the Switch.

Chris Carter

Destructoid Staff
Staff member
Robot
Apr 23, 2020
Was A Link Between Worlds really a 6.5? <3

No but seriously. Have you ever second guessed a review?
"Was A Link Between Worlds really a 6.5? <3"

Haha yeah, I still think that. I replay Zelda games often and that's usually near the bottom of my list.

"No but seriously. Have you ever second guessed a review?"

Not really. I try to be comprehensive when I review something so I don't have second thoughts. I genuinely can't think of a time where I've second-guessed something.

DtoidJordan

Administrator
Staff member
Robot
Apr 15, 2020
Do you do any gardening?

What's it been like going from regular movie theater trips to having to watch everything at home?

Also, what movie should we try to make Brett watch with us the next time - in the far-off future - that we're in the same room together?

Chris Carter

Destructoid Staff
Staff member
Robot
Apr 23, 2020
Do you do any gardening?

What's it been like going from regular movie theater trips to having to watch everything at home?

Also, what movie should we try to make Brett watch with us the next time - in the far-off future - that we're in the same room together?
1) Haha no, it's one of my least favorite things to do. Luckily my wife loves it.

2) I used to see 1-2 movies a week in theaters due to Alamo Drafthouse's membership program and AMC A-List, so it's been tough. I love going to the movies, even alone.

In the meantime, I stream around 1-2 new things a week now that were initially meant for theatrical release. I recently caught The Rental, My Spy, Palm Springs, Greyhound, Eurovision, Shirley and The Vast of Night.

3) The Visit...again.

Probably a "critically acclaimed" Nic Cage movie so he can see the true form of Cage: radiant brilliance.

May 14, 2020
Multi fire questions I guess,

Out of ten how jacked are you?

Do you have a personal favourite staff member I know you love them all etc etc but one you love above all else?

Does it hurt you that you seemed to have loved the Gravity Rush series in your reviews but they seemed to kinda do pretty bad commericaly?

Your favourite game series?

If games suddenly became extinct and you could work with anything elsw what would you work with?

When you were a wee young Chris what was more on your mind when trying to de ide a carree pure money or your passion in it or a mixture of both?

Chris Carter

Destructoid Staff
Staff member
Robot
Apr 23, 2020
Multi fire questions I guess,

Out of ten how jacked are you?

Do you have a personal favourite staff member I know you love them all etc etc but one you love above all else?

Does it hurt you that you seemed to have loved the Gravity Rush series in your reviews but they seemed to kinda do pretty bad commericaly?

Your favourite game series?

If games suddenly became extinct and you could work with anything elsw what would you work with?

When you were a wee young Chris what was more on your mind when trying to de ide a carree pure money or your passion in it or a mixture of both?
1) Not very. I used to be really slender and gravitated toward sports like basketball/tennis/running.

2) Haha I love them all, etc, as you said. I do miss Jim, though. Jim is a huge reason why I got into this industry in 2008-ish and I miss our morning chats.

3) Haha yea. I was just thinking about that series the other day! And shaking my fist that it didn't sell well. It was during a re-watch of Whisper of the Heart (a Ghibli film): there's a sequence where there were a lot of floating locations and it reminded me of Gravity Rush.

4) It's tough to pick one (yadda yadda) but probably Lunar? I can say that's a series because it has two games and some spinoff portable releases. As far as modern series go, maybe Resident Evil or Mega Man.

5) Movies/the film industry. Full stop.

6) Passion. My family didn't have a lot of money so I had plenty of practical motivations, but I always wanted to do something that I was really passionate about. A teacher told me once to make that a priority: to focus on something you really enjoy doing, and I took that to heart.