[Staff AMA - July 29] Chris Carter

Anthony Marzano

Excel Sheet Strategy Game Enthusiast
Staff member
Robot
Apr 16, 2020
You've been with the site since its inception, and a staff longer than anyone other than Niero. What are some of the things that you are most proud of Destructoid achieving and where do you wanna see it go in the next few years?

And for a less serious question, what's the one thing you miss most going vegan and how do you fill that void?

Chris Carter

Destructoid Staff
Staff member
Robot
Apr 23, 2020
You've been with the site since its inception, and a staff longer than anyone other than Niero. What are some of the things that you are most proud of Destructoid achieving and where do you wanna see it go in the next few years?

And for a less serious question, what's the one thing you miss most going vegan and how do you fill that void?
Jordan actually has me beat on tenure!

1) I'm most proud of Destructoid being able to adapt to the modern era. While it was known as an irreverent site in the past, it's nice to know that we can keep a lot of that irreverence but still stay relevant.

I hope that in the next few years we're able to grow and further enable our current staff, which is arguably the best it's ever been.

2) I don't really miss much at all at this point. I used to miss hamburgers, but Impossible has that covered now. I also used to miss good cheese, but Miyoko's and Violife have pretty much mastered it.

Probably seafood? I grew up attending yearly family crab-fests where we'd get hundreds of crabs and eat them in huge country hootenanny-type feasts. But I care for sea life most of all so I never think about it for more than a minute, haha.

Even then, a few companies are making really good fake shrimp. I tried one and it was really hard to tell the difference. It's just a matter of time.

Boxman214

World's Okayest Chef
May 10, 2020
What did you have for breakfast today?

Favorite candy bar?

What Zelda game is the best entry point for the series for newcomers? (I'm not a newcomer, just curious what you'd say)

Are there any games you reviewed negatively, but you feel more positively about now? Whether that's because your changed as a person, or because the game was updated and improved.

Favorite vegetable?

Who is your waifu and why is she shit?

Chris Carter

Destructoid Staff
Staff member
Robot
Apr 23, 2020
What did you have for breakfast today?

Favorite candy bar?

What Zelda game is the best entry point for the series for newcomers? (I'm not a newcomer, just curious what you'd say)

Are there any games you reviewed negatively, but you feel more positively about now? Whether that's because your changed as a person, or because the game was updated and improved.

Favorite vegetable?

Who is your waifu and why is she shit?
1) A fake-egg and fake-sausage sandwich with fake cheese on a toasted bagel. It's actually pretty good and tastes roughly the same as the real thing! The cheese melts, sausage isn't that great quality of meat anyway, and Just Egg is pretty close to actual eggs.

2) Now? It's not a bar, but Sour Patch kids don't have gelatin so I can eat them. In the past, 100 Grand.

3) Link to the Past is a good entry point as it holds up immensely well and the world is just expansive enough to feel like Zelda but not so overwhelming that you'd want to rage quit.

As far as the 3D games go, Ocarina of Time 3D (3DS) has a lot of good quality of life changes for onboarding newcomers. It's also easy to pick up and play.

4) Spinach, I think. It's fun to whip up with butter and garlic. Hot peppers are also fun to make hot sauce with, but I can't pick one specific type.

5) No one is my waifu per se (haha), but I like Chocolina. There's a lot of fun aspects of the Final Fantasy XIII subseries: I wish they had gotten it right out of the gate.

Reactions: Boxman214

Boxman214

World's Okayest Chef
May 10, 2020
Do you have any general advice for some rewvieing things? If so, what would it be?

Chris Carter

Destructoid Staff
Staff member
Robot
Apr 23, 2020
What's the funnest game ever made and why is it Peggle?
My wife and I will randomly still say Peggle quotes to each other, such as "I like yarn!" We loved that series.

I really like Minecraft and find it perpetually fun. It's neat to load in worlds other people have created or make my own from time to time to chill out.

Reactions: Boxman214

ZombieCorps

May 10, 2020
twitch.tv
How did you become so efficient with gaming, reviewing and be a dad all while being the staple heart throb of Destructoid?
Can these skills be taught?

Chris Carter

Destructoid Staff
Staff member
Robot
Apr 23, 2020
How did you become so efficient with gaming, reviewing and be a dad all while being the staple heart throb of Destructoid?
Can these skills be taught?
I try to focus on one thing, and budget my time accordingly. The real secret is that my wife is so amazing! She's been incredibly supportive in every way as I moved to games writing full time.

Jun 9, 2020
UK
Hi Chris, big fan of your work. Can I ask what the chances are of a season 12 of the X-Files? And if we upvote your posts will that increase the likelihood of you letting us cameo?

Reactions: Chris Carter