[Staff AMA - July 6]: Occams

Nekro

Totally Wholesome Magical Girl
Staff member
Robot
Feb 14, 2020
Here’s the thread for the official staff AMA for our very own cat-bearded community manager and resplendent black grandmother, Occams!

”As many of you who frequent the Destructoid front page and Qtoid already know, Occams has been a community manager on our site for many years and Destructoid's official Resplendent Black Grandmother. He’s also currently a host of our podcast; Podtoid. Occams will be hanging out for an hour or so to answer any of those burning questions that you’ve been dying to ask him. Also, yes, his face is actually made of cats.”

Feel free to ask him anything when we unlock this thread on July 6 at 10AM EST.

Occams

Resplendent Black Grandmother
Staff member
Robot
Feb 14, 2020
What's your favorite way to eat eggs?
You can't beat a good omelet. Sometimes I like it simple, with some cheese and maybe some green peppers and onions. Sometimes, though, when I'm feeling real sexy-like, I'll thrown in some hash browns and bacon and mushrooms and I want that goddamn thing to look like a baby coffin filled with delicousness.

Nekro

Staff member
Robot
Feb 14, 2020
Favourite work by Junji Ito. Go.

Occams

Staff member
Robot
Feb 14, 2020
You never forget your first Junji Ito book. For me, that was Uzumaki. Loved it so much I actually have a tattoo from the book. Dude opened my eyes to the power of Japanese horror manga and years later, I'm so happy that he's really hit big in the states. I also loved Gyo. Crazy ass spider crab machines with fish and people on them. The dude has such a brilliant, twisted mind.

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
You can't beat a good omelet. Sometimes I like it simple, with some cheese and maybe some green peppers and onions. Sometimes, though, when I'm feeling real sexy-like, I'll thrown in some hash browns and bacon and mushrooms and I want that goddamn thing to look like a baby coffin filled with delicousness.
Mmmmmmm. Baby coffins. I love the juicy center!

Chris Carter

Destructoid Staff
Staff member
Robot
Apr 23, 2020
What has been your favorite episode and/or segment of your run on Podtoid thus far?

Occams

Staff member
Robot
Feb 14, 2020
My favorite episode is hard to pick. Its like I have a lot of favorite moments from a so many episodes, little bits of conversation that when I think about them I smile. That being said, my favorite segments are definitely the Community Shoutout and anytime Chris and I get to talk about a dumb 80s horror movie I watched. Oh, and listener questions. I love the questions and they are so much fun to answer.

ChrisMoyse

Be Kind to People
Staff member
Robot
Apr 15, 2020
First record you remember buying, and first movie you saw at the cinema?

Occams

Staff member
Robot
Feb 14, 2020
I'm going to fudge this one a bit as I don't remember my first record. I was a child of the cassette and CD so those stick in my head. My first CD was Arrested Development's 3 Years, 5 Months and 2 Days in the Life Of. I won a radio contest and I got to go down to the station and pick a CD from their vault. The DJ seemed very surprised that the doughy white boy in the Quicksilver t-shirt and bermuda shorts went with that. My first cassettes were the singles for Sir-Mix-A-Lot's Baby Got Back and En Vogue's Free Your Mind.

My first movie I can recall seeing in a really meaningful and excited way was Batman in 1989. I can still recall sitting in that theater as the music came on and being blown away that I was experiencing this. Opening weekend and it was such a blast. Still a favorite movie of mine in the grand realm of comic book films.

Vincentdante

Jul 2, 2020
Are you Occams? His electric toothbrush? Or were you the electric toothbrush that has since taken over Occams.

Legit question: Are you into boardgaming and if so what's your go to?

Occams

Staff member
Robot
Feb 14, 2020
Oof...the great existential debate. What came first? Sometimes I think Occams is a title that I inherited from something greater than what we see around us. I definitely feel like an electric toothbrush. Buzzing and slightly damp. That's me.

You know, I don't do a lot of board gaming but its only due to a lack of folks to board game with. Most of my peoples are spread across the country and in Europe so we rarely get to sit in the same room and game the boards. The last time I did, however, I played Betrayal at House on the Hill and the Dark Souls board game.

ChrisMoyse

Be Kind to People
Staff member
Robot
Apr 15, 2020
What scared you when you were a kid? (Like a movie, or a TV commercial, or something)

You love shopping malls, what's your favourite movie shopping mall scene?

Occams

Staff member
Robot
Feb 14, 2020
Great questions! So two things terrified me a child: The long hallway in my old house. Wooden floors and the distant entryway to our dining room. It felt like it existed outside the space of our home. There was a weird feeling I'd get whenever I had to walk down it, like I could keep walking forever and never get to that entryway. And, like so many children of the 80s, Large Marge:

As for a mall scene...well, Chopping Mall was a recent delight and I had so much fun discussing it with you on Podtoid. The mall fight in Police Story is absolutely legendary as well.

Satanás do 71

Jul 6, 2020
What upcoming movie are you most anxious? And if you could make everyone watch a movie, clockwork orange style, what would it be?

Occams

Staff member
Robot
Feb 14, 2020
God, with the pandemic, I forgot movies still came out. I suppose anything that Ari Aster does next will be quite wonderful. Oh, and Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness. Its been described to me as a kind of Marvel take on a horror movie and that sounds like it will be a blast.

Hmmm...I would apply the eye droplets lovingly while everyone watched my favorite Charlie Chaplin movie, The Great Dictator. Its a work of art and we could all use the smile right now.

Gus TT Showbiz

Purveyor of puns to those with a discerning taste
May 10, 2020
www.twitch.tv
NO WAIT! Gus shouts as the reinforced door slowly shuts
WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE PUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN

Occams

Staff member
Robot
Feb 14, 2020
In my mind, you and Isay Isay come up with something so perfect, so beautiful and pure that it removes suffering from the planet.

Reactions: RiffRaff

Fendibull

May 24, 2020
I know you and me are a big fan of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe. What will you expect for Kevin Smith's MOTU Revelation? and the Movie that Noah Centineo (was, I heard) starred as the main character?

Oh, Last one: Will you buy that Contra 3 Soundtrack Vinyl? People say I should get Pet Sounds Sessions, or Appetite for Destruction 2018 but..... I rather have this blasting out till the neighbor put me into prison over Disturbing the Peace by blasting out that freaking soundtrack for 6 months straight.

Occams

Staff member
Robot
Feb 14, 2020
Hmmm...I’m really hoping to see a reverence for the source material but with a foot planted firmly in modern times. Something that celebrates the fun element of He-Man and giving us that adventure we love. For the Noah Centineo movie, I’m thinking it will be a little more “cool” than I’d prefer but I’m holding out hope!

Oh hell yeah! Contra 3 OST 4 LYFE!!!

16-Bit Socks

Jun 8, 2020
Will someone please update the amiibo buttplug ranked list? The world needs to know this!

Nekro

Staff member
Robot
Feb 14, 2020
One of our future AMAs will be with the writer of that article, Brett Makedonski.