Traveller In Playtime - Shadow of the Colossus

Kerrik52

May 11, 2020
All right, let's try this out.

455396-shadow-of-the-colossus-playstation-4-front-cover.jpg

So, as you may be aware, I try to write blogs for the site regularly, most of which are reviews. And since I can't really compress my takes into Qposts (damn 255 character limit), I thought I'd do so here instead. Not only can I get notifications that way, but there are probably people who want to talk about the games I review without needing to get through the review. You can find the whole thing here, but I'm gonna summarize it down below:

• The concept of having a game of nothing but diverse boss fights.
  • The music.
  • The minimalist story with room for discussion.
  • The innovative combat system.
  • How dang pretty the remake is.

Dislikes:
  • The obtuse nature of the upgrades that basically require external knowledge.
  • How difficult it can be to get Wander to just climb up across intersecting parts of the colossi.
  • Some of the colossi are either obtuse or require you to manipulate their AI very slowly.

I like the game, but it not as tight as it should be given how focused it is. I'd want a good 3 or 4 of the colossi redesigned so that their fights flow better. But when you get a good fight (like 5 or 13), the game is amazing. What do you think about it?

Reactions: ✨ Matt ✨

D-Volt

Haruspex/Menkhu
May 10, 2020
Never been a fan of Shadow of the Colossus. The story isn't particularly great to me because it only wants to convey one thing to the player and takes hours to do so. I guess I just prefer games with multilayered themes and some variety in how it gets the player to engage with them.

Also it's clunky as all hell to play, HD version or otherwise, and the original hasn't aged well visually (I thought it looked bad when it released, but I was alone in that opinion).