Your Favorite Game Ending

Anonymous 2.0

Jun 8, 2020
Someone mentioned MGS4 already, that was my pick. Everything from the final duel to the very end is fucking perfect.

So I'll go with Persona 3. While I prefer P4 and P5 overall, I love the ending to P3.
Honestly, just the 1 on 1 convo between Aigis and the MC is so full of heart it elevates it. But everything leading up to it. The final 1v1. The group regaining their memories. Everyone meeting up on the rooftop and the ambiguity surrounding the final scene as MC "falls asleep" peacefully in Aigis' lap.
It was perfect.

The Answer promptly ruins the ending, but I hate The Answer as a whole, so i prefer to ignore its existence.

Last edited:

NSPillow

Jun 8, 2020
Probably not my all time favourite, but the first thing that came to mind FFIX ... It was syrupy sweet. Just thinking about it is enough to make my teeth rot.

Reactions: RiffRaff

Startyde

Jun 8, 2020
For story it's easily Metal Gear Solid 3 for me:

You go through the entire game feeling betrayed by The Boss as you watch her play cohort to Volgin the psychopath, then as Eva explains to you that The Boss was actually still working for the US at the cost of her honor, it was heart wrenching. To slowly realize that The Boss had thrown away her entire life before this in service to her country, only to have that sacrifice wiped away as well is a story that has yet to be topped in gaming since.

There are so many great stories and endings in gaming, but I honestly can't remember one that hit me as hard as MGS3 for the reasons you detailed. It really left me so profoundly affected, and as much as I adore MGS4, I would have been perfectly fine with the franchise ending with 3, completing the full Big Boss Arc. In fact, everything since has only served to dilute it's perfection.

SolidVercetti

Jun 10, 2020
Mega-City One, USA
Lotta cool choices. MGS4 is my fav, it is a powerhouse. And all the games have good endings, counting that cutscene you get in MGSV that explains stuff etc as the ending for that one. That was cool too.

GTA tends to have solid endings, at least for a few of them. GTA3 was funny, Vice City was cool, and MGSV's is good. And a shoutout to Red Dead Redemption 2.

I'll say Max Payne's ending really captured my imagination. Was sort of like the end of a great TV season, couldn't wait for more. Also Yakuza 0, and most of those.

Derpunkel

Jun 8, 2020
Italy
What's your favorite ending in a game? Since this thread will be spoilerrific, remember to use your spoiler tags!!!! It's a tad hidden, so look at my screenshot to find it :)
Even if it's just a little bit spoilery, use the tag :)

View attachment 324

There's a ton of games where I loved the ending, but the one that takes the cake is a more recent one and I'm sure many of you will agree with me on it. Nier: Automata has the best ending in all of video games. Why?
Well, in short, in a game about subverting expectations it successfully subverted my expectation even if I had already heard that it was something different (what exactly happens was still unknown to me). And on top of that, in a game as bleak and drab as it is it ended on such a great note of hopefulness and togetherness. I was more than happy to sacrifice my precious save (and let's be honest here, as gamers, that save file is something quite important to us. Not a decision to be taken lightly). The fact so many other gamers sacrificed their save to help me actually brought a non-superfluous tear to my eye. I felt so good after that ending and it's an ending that is so incredibly unique to the gaming medium. P* and Square went above and beyond their duty as artist to elicit emotion from me.

So for all of you who have yet to play Nier: Automata, please play it. And even if you aren't really jiving on it at first, I do implore you to get the true ending still (about 30ish hours of gameplay). It's worth it imho.
I'm a grown ass 38 year old man but man the whole ending credits sequence got me good... Expecially the song!

• Love

Voex

May 19, 2020
I think about the ending of SOMA often.

It explores humankind's will to survive in any form it can, even if it may be ultimately futile. Also the idea of having a digital "copy" of yourself survive in a computer program utopia, while the "real"(?) you gets stuck at the bottom of the ocean, still conscious... gives me shivers. I find those themes fascinating and the way they did it really affected me. It was bittersweet, in an extreme kind of way.

modern_moron

Gold Standard in Stupidity
Jun 11, 2020
Someone mentioned MGS4 already, that was my pick. Everything from the final duel to the very end is fucking perfect.

So I'll go with Persona 3. While I prefer P4 and P5 overall, I love the ending to P3.
Honestly, just the 1 on 1 convo between Aigis and the MC is so full of heart it elevates it. But everything leading up to it. The final 1v1. The group regaining their memories. Everyone meeting up on the rooftop and the ambiguity surrounding the final scene as MC "falls asleep" peacefully in Aigis' lap.
It was perfect.

The Answer promptly ruins the ending, but I hate The Answer as a whole, so i prefer to ignore its existence.
Damn, I forgot Persona 3. Messed me up good for about a week.

I like parts of what The Answer tried to do, but the gameplay is just god awful. I ended up just watching all the cutscenes and important dialogue on YT.

One scene in particular was deeply upsetting:

watching the fake MC disintegrate. just oof. that stuck with me

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
I think about the ending of SOMA often.

It explores humankind's will to survive in any form it can, even if it may be ultimately futile. Also the idea of having a digital "copy" of yourself survive in a computer program utopia, while the "real"(?) you gets stuck at the bottom of the ocean, still conscious... gives me shivers. I find those themes fascinating and the way they did it really affected me. It was bittersweet, in an extreme kind of way.
Deer lord did I love SOMA!!!! That ending shook me. And the scene with the last living human. Fuck!!!
If you dug SOMA, have you read Permutation City by Greg Egan or watched Upload on Prime Video. Both deal with the same topics as SOMA albiet one is serious sci-fi book and the other is a comedy series.

Voex

May 19, 2020
Deer lord did I love SOMA!!!! That ending shook me. And the scene with the last living human. Fuck!!!
If you dug SOMA, have you read Permutation City by Greg Egan or watched Upload on Prime Video. Both deal with the same topics as SOMA albiet one is serious sci-fi book and the other is a comedy series.

Not heard of those, thanks will definitely look them up 👍