Your personal favorite reveals from the Xbox Games Showcase

Seymour Demonica

Badonkadonk Monk
Jun 9, 2020
www.youtube.com

Even though there wasn't a hint of gameplay for much of these, including STALKER 2, well... STALKER 2 definitely surprised me. I thought that game was practically dead until this showcase. It was little more than a teaser, but I liked the vibe I got from it.

Grounded seemed like a great time and I'm looking forward to the story Obsidian's gonna try and tell, which I can only assume will be ever so slightly more tongue-in-cheek than their previous efforts. And launching so soon (albeit in an early access form)!

My overall favorite is probably Psychonauts. Happy to see that Jack Black will have some involvement. He's always brought a welcomed, fun energy to whatever project he's been apart of. And the gameplay looks so fun! Did Raz drop acid before plunging himself into that brain-in-a-jar? D-... did I?

What was I talking about?

I might be tempted to add Avowed to that list as it looks like Skyrim by way of Obsidian (which could be AMAZING), but it was too much of a teaser to get too excited about.

Last edited:

Seymour Demonica

Badonkadonk Monk
Jun 9, 2020
www.youtube.com

Also, sucks that, to me, Halo Infinite looked just... okay. Appreciate the new level of freedom clearly taking cues from Breath of the Wild (seems that game has inspired a good handful of higher caliber game studios to respect their players' intelligence and will to explore), but the gameplay was strictly "Yeah, that's a Halo." and the vistas seemed bland by Halo's standards.

• Love
Reactions: jtotal

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
I wasn't wowed with the Xbox game showing like I was with the PS5 one. Sony tends to showcase games that are more my preference. But for those that enjoy Halo, that looked pretty neat. Stalker 2 could be cool and Psychonauts 2 looks rad (afaik that's still multiplatform too :) ).
The one game I do want to play is Avowed. I'm a huge fan of the two Pillars of Eternity games and since Avowed is set in Eora (Pillars' game world) I've very curious for it. Unfortunately First Person RPGs are my least favorite flavor of RPG and I'm rather sad I may never see an Infinity Engine style game from Obsidian again. I'll probably play Avowed in a decade when I upgrade my laptop.

Oridan

May 11, 2020
Is Avowed supposed to be an Elder Scrolls type of thing? Open world and quests you stumble into? Or is it a more focused game? In any case I wanna play it, I've been a sucker for fantasy games where I can carry magic in my hands since Dark Messiah.

Reactions: Seymour Demonica

jtotal

Jun 9, 2020
Columbia, MO

Also, sucks that, to me, Halo Infinite looked just... okay. Appreciate the new level of freedom clearly taking cues from Breath of the Wild (seems that game has inspired a good handful of higher caliber game studios to respect their players' intelligence and will to explore), but the gameplay was strictly "Yeah, that's a Halo." and the vistas seemed bland by Halo's standards.
I recall the first time I played Halo 3. It was on a CRT, and all I could think was "this honestly looks no different". After seeing the eight minute gameplay trailer in 4k...

"this honestly looks no different"

May 14, 2020
Same for Stalker 2 a new game from the steamworld dig people was lovely to see lovely music and looks like it could be a great solid time.Psychonauts 2 should be good although I imagine it will feel a bit dated. It seemed from the trailer and what they showed that they aren't trying to do anything that new for it.

May 14, 2020
I'm unhappy that STALKER 2 is a timed exclusive.

Even though I've yet to beat a single Stalker game.

They're purty scary.
Really sweet! I imagine that means its coming to ps4 then right pretty happy abour that. Only actual excsluive that when shown didn't know was a timed excuslive that I waa intrested in.

May 14, 2020
Wait a minute they showed in text Stalker 2 being a launch exculsive but it isn't. They don't have a release date they just said it will come in 2020 most likely. If it was you know what they said a launch exclusive then it would be comingbout the day the new Xbox launches

Turbokill

May 12, 2020
I'm pretty intrigued by The Medium. I really hope it has a great enough story so that the composer's talents can really shine. I love the Silent Hill music.

Seymour Demonica

Badonkadonk Monk
Jun 9, 2020
www.youtube.com
Wait a minute they showed in text Stalker 2 being a launch exculsive but it isn't. They don't have a release date they just said it will come in 2020 most likely. If it was you know what they said a launch exclusive then it would be comingbout the day the new Xbox launches

Tbf, they also don't have a release date for the XSeX.

Well, they probably do. They just aren't telling us.

I'm pretty intrigued by The Medium. I really hope it has a great enough story so that the composer's talents can really shine. I love the Silent Hill music.

Akira Yamaoka is a beast of a songwriter/composer. I've not heard the soundtrack for Downpour (I'd not be surprised to find he had no involvement), but his music from 2 and Shattered Memories were especially BAH GAWD.

Despite the slight Evanescence vibe.

Boxman214

World's Okayest Chef
May 10, 2020
Is Avowed supposed to be an Elder Scrolls type of thing? Open world and quests you stumble into? Or is it a more focused game? In any case I wanna play it, I've been a sucker for fantasy games where I can carry magic in my hands since Dark Messiah.
No idea. Trailer didn't really indicate. It was very much a teaser.

Nag

Jun 8, 2020
Raccoon City
Put me down as another for The Medium , I just hope Bloober Team actually get the game to run at more than 15fps this time as The Blair Witch games performance was terrible.