PS5 Megathread

JuIc3

Jul 5, 2020
Kansas City
My order at Walmart still looks good, says it’ll be ready to go on the 12th.

I hate our Walmart, though. Almost wish I had it delivered instead of in store pickup.

modern_moron

Gold Standard in Stupidity
Jun 11, 2020
All good, shipping info went to Fedex and they charged me.

Now the only issue is FedEx because those mfers leave my packages at my neighbors house 90% of the time.

I foresee them claiming I didn't answer the door to sign even tho they didn't knock.

Turbokill

May 12, 2020
As discussed in my qpost, I just got to "try out" a PS5 controller on my PC.

It's definitely not yet supported. Steam doesn't really understand it, games with thorough remapping tools like Final Fantasy XIV get buttons mixed up, but when trying a game with lots of vibration, Doom Eternal in my case, the buttons didn't work, however the rumble did.

It felt great. I could feel a battle in the distance, projectiles whizzing past my head, the recoil of my guns, and man did those launch pads feel neat. It's the best feeling controller I've ever held, and I have an Elite Series 2.

Reactions: Cactüs

Xeo

May 10, 2020
As discussed in my qpost, I just got to "try out" a PS5 controller on my PC.

It's definitely not yet supported. Steam doesn't really understand it, games with thorough remapping tools like Final Fantasy XIV get buttons mixed up, but when trying a game with lots of vibration, Doom Eternal in my case, the buttons didn't work, however the rumble did.

It felt great. I could feel a battle in the distance, projectiles whizzing past my head, the recoil of my guns, and man did those launch pads feel neat. It's the best feeling controller I've ever held, and I have an Elite Series 2.
I've heard a few sources now, one of which was Digital Foundry talk about how the Haptic Feedback in it is a real game changer that words simply cannot do justice to. I heard stuff like this before the Switch came out, but then the reviews didn't seem to have much to say about it there. And honestly, owning a Switch, I can barely even tell the difference when playing the thing. Will this be different? I don't know. But people are talking it up like it's a bigger deal on this controller.

modern_moron

Jun 11, 2020
Just got it all set up so I could just turn Hulu back on again.

Wasn't counting on as much scarcity for the games themselves, so I ordered Demon's Souls separately and it doesn't arrive until tomorrow. Shit's not available at any stores near me as far as I can tell.

An hour before Bugsnax finishes downloading on my shit internet.

Not looking forward to transferring all my other shit over from PS4. I feel like it's gonna take days.

Overall kind of a weird, lukewarm new console experience for me.

Also fuck that screen reading shit yelling at me to plug my controller in. I mean, have a brief pause in between each time it says it, jeez.

And holy shit is this thing BIG

Turbokill

May 12, 2020
I've heard a few sources now, one of which was Digital Foundry talk about how the Haptic Feedback in it is a real game changer that words simply cannot do justice to. I heard stuff like this before the Switch came out, but then the reviews didn't seem to have much to say about it there. And honestly, owning a Switch, I can barely even tell the difference when playing the thing. Will this be different? I don't know. But people are talking it up like it's a bigger deal on this controller.

I was never impressed with "HD rumble". That was a silly name, because the Dualsense controllers are clearly the HD rumble.

That said, I'm sure a good number of games won't fully take advantage. It's mindblowing in Astro's Playroom, but mild in DeS and Spiderman.

modern_moron

Jun 11, 2020
The tightening on the trigger when drawing a bow is a nice touch for Demon's Souls.

No Man's Sky makes good use of it for ship takeoff, reducing speed, and letting you know your mining tool is going to overheat.

Very much expecting devs to make even better use of it in the future.

Also Bugsnax is pretty neat. Feels like a good old PS1 era game.

Vaguely reminds me of Silicon Valley on N64

Xeo

May 10, 2020
The tightening on the trigger when drawing a bow is a nice touch for Demon's Souls.

No Man's Sky makes good use of it for ship takeoff, reducing speed, and letting you know your mining tool is going to overheat.

Very much expecting devs to make even better use of it in the future.

It's kind of crazy that CoD: Black Ops Cold War has different trigger settings for every single gun in the game, to emulate their trigger resistance. Pain in the ass in multiplayer, but in the campaign and in Zombies it's awesome.

modern_moron

Jun 11, 2020
It's kind of crazy that CoD: Black Ops Cold War has different trigger settings for every single gun in the game, to emulate their trigger resistance. Pain in the ass in multiplayer, but in the campaign and in Zombies it's awesome.
I might have to grab that on sale to check it out.

I haven't played CoD since Modern Warfare 2

JuIc3

Jul 5, 2020
Kansas City
I’ve been thoroughly enjoying Demon’s Souls. Great remake with great visuals. Feels just like it did on the PS3, with a lot of fancy lights and textures.

Thinking of making Miles Morales game number 2 entry into the PS5 library - just the standard edition. I’ve already beat Spider-Man, and to me, 20 hrs of gameplay is more manageable than 40.

Xeo

May 10, 2020
Maneater is a pain in the ass. Anyone play Godfall by chance? I've read a lot of mixed things about it, but it's general art direction and especially it's combat looks quite good. Hoping it's mixed to lacking reception sees it going on sale sometime soon, as I'd like to give it a whirl.

Xeo

May 10, 2020
Careful. Online only, and it’s a Randy Pitchford game.
Online doesn't bother me, I know it's basically melee Destiny, and I don't have a problem with that. It's the Randy Pitchford/Gearbox part I don't like. But they only published it, right? Not actually developed it?

Turbokill

May 12, 2020

It looks like a PS1 era game amirite???

But seriously, it's a fun little game and I really enjoy the voice acting. It's just clearly a ps4/cross gen game

Reactions: modern_moron

Xeo

May 10, 2020
I'm really liking how good this console is at playing my PS4 library. I reinstalled MonHun World for the first time in forever (gotta redo my save though >.>) and it's now a completely smooth 60FPS instead of the erratic framerate that it used to run at.
I really haven't played much of anything PS4 related on mine, but that does sound nice.

JuIc3

Jul 5, 2020
Kansas City
So PS5 issues...anyone? I’ll admit, PS5 Mk I had a really bad issue where the fan would kick on and it would let out an awful noise. I don’t really know what the deal was, but it was bad. It was a disk version, for the record.

Now Mk II has been unheard. Like I never heard it once in an entire play through of Demon Souls. Granted, it’s a discless model.

modern_moron

Jun 11, 2020
So PS5 issues...anyone? I’ll admit, PS5 Mk I had a really bad issue where the fan would kick on and it would let out an awful noise. I don’t really know what the deal was, but it was bad. It was a disk version, for the record.

Now Mk II has been unheard. Like I never heard it once in an entire play through of Demon Souls. Granted, it’s a discless model.
Had it since launch and still no major crap ups.

Some issues earlier on with crashes when suspending apps and stuff, but that was about it.

I also haven't really been using it too often tho.

Aside from a recent run through FF7 Remake, it's just been a Hulu background noise machine.

Xeo

May 10, 2020
I haven't had any serious issues. I had the issue where installing a game via a PS4 disc for the upgrade (like for AC: Valhalla, for example) would ALWAYS install the PS4 version of the game too on start up. That was annoying as hell, but apparently wasn't an isolated thing either, it happened to almost everyone. I haven't seen that since, it was said to have been addressed in a system update. Though to be fair I haven't installed a game from a physical PS4 disc in a while either. So I don't honestly know if that got fixed truly.

modern_moron

Jun 11, 2020
idk if I mentioned it before, but my biggest gripe on broken PS5 things is the broken emulation on Okage Shadow King

I'm holding onto my PS4 solely to continue playing it (yet I refuse to actually set the thing up)