A writing thread.

Turbokill

May 12, 2020
Guess I'll share the last thing I wrote that I am truly proud of. I wrote an entire short story without using the most common letter in the English language: E

For reference, count how many times I already used the letter then, if you're so inclined, feel free to check out my Lovecraft-inspired short story about people beginning to realize something is missing.

Title: Vacuous

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
Mad props dude! That was really enjoyable! Skipping out on the letter e gave it kind of a Lovecraftian feel :) No bullshit, I really enjoyed it!

I did a bit of (not very good) writing but the vast majority of it is lost to time (might be sitting in notebooks in my parents attic). A handful of years ago I started writing a story but my laptop had a major hard drive crash and I lost a lot. I was able to recover some of it, so while I should really go back and work on it, let's just consider it a short-ish story.
It's rather obvious I had just finished reading The Road when I was writing this and it's not too original (and upon reading now, it does need a little editing). But I'm kinda proud of it. Maybe if someone likes it I'll be inspired to pick it back up. Anyhoo, hope someone enjoys!

The Rain by RiffRaff

Also, Pat! (can we tag people?) Upload your Fanfic! I really enjoyed that!

Turbokill

May 12, 2020
Thanks y'all.

Speaking of names, Dango, I think my favorite small detail in my story was that I named the philosopher "Dr. Rob Anton Vowl" or "Dr. Rob A Vowl." It's also a reference to a novel called A Void, which is also a story that doesn't use the letter 'E' and it's actually a translation of a novel in French. One of the characters was named Anton Vowl.

I've submitted this story into two different writing workshops and no one got the joke :/ nor even noticed it was a lipogram. (Stories that have a letter usage constraint)

Mad props dude! That was really enjoyable! Skipping out on the letter e gave it kind of a Lovecraftian feel :) No bullshit, I really enjoyed it!

I did a bit of (not very good) writing but the vast majority of it is lost to time (might be sitting in notebooks in my parents attic). A handful of years ago I started writing a story but my laptop had a major hard drive crash and I lost a lot. I was able to recover some of it, so while I should really go back and work on it, let's just consider it a short-ish story.
It's rather obvious I had just finished reading The Road when I was writing this and it's not too original (and upon reading now, it does need a little editing). But I'm kinda proud of it. Maybe if someone likes it I'll be inspired to pick it back up. Anyhoo, hope someone enjoys!

The Rain by RiffRaff

I never got around to reading The Road, actually. Though it's on my list.

I read through it and that's good work. Colorful language that helps make everything a clear picture in your mind. Great read that I think is definitely worth putting more work into.

Last edited:

Dango

May 11, 2020
Queen Anne's Revenge
twitter.com
Speaking of names, Dango, I think my favorite small detail in my story was that I named the philosopher "Dr. Rob Anton Vowl" or "Dr. Rob A Vowl." It's also a reference to a novel called A Void, which is also a story that doesn't use the letter 'E' and it's actually a translation of a novel in French. One of the characters was named Anton Vowl.

That is impressively layered.

PatBateman17

May 12, 2020

The Rain by RiffRaff

Haha thanks! Maybe I will (if i can keep up with these forums!)