AMA: AllCutUp1136

AllCutUp1136

Jul 4, 2020
- 36/M/NY (Remember doing that, kids?)
- Mild cerebral palsy (I can walk with assistance, mostly stick to my power chair in my apt.)
- Video game/Book/Movie/Music enthusiast
- Just started Animal Crossing: New Horizons (as in, still in my first day)
- 3 years brain cancer free in Nov.! \(^o^)/

Sorry for that info dump, just wanted to cover the baselines. Ask away!

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
Heya!

How is it to game with cerebral palsy? Do you need to make modifications to your controllers?
Favorite games?

JuIc3

Jul 5, 2020
Kansas City
I'm very happy to hear you are beating the fight with brain cancer!

If you don't mind my asking, is it hard on you emotionally? How do you deal with the stress and keep on the positive side? I fear I'd be a total wreck.

Zalno

Dude who shouts "NYEH!"
Jun 8, 2020
Congrats! Hope you keep beating brain cancer for a long time!

Since you mentioned it, what are your favorites? Video game/book/movie/album/etc.

AllCutUp1136

Jul 4, 2020
Yo!

How is it to game with cerebral palsy? Do you need to make modifications to your controllers?
My left hand in unaffected, but my right hand is. Whenever there's an option I prefer controllers over keyboards. No modification needed. I used to fiddle around with the PS4 accessibility settings, but it needs to be more involved. Like, for Doom 2016 I tried swapping out the triggers, because I preferred having primary fire on L2. But then it reversed menu navigation, and that was just a huge pain. It's good that Sony implemented it, it just needs to be way more through.

Favorite games?
Like I mentioned earlier, I just started ACNH and it is GREAT. Very picky about my island details, so I am resetting momentarily (I swear, I have like this weird video gaming OCD).

I have a soft spot for the Dynasty Warriors series. Didn't get DW9, because I heard the big overhauls they made were pretty terrible. Recently been playing DW8 Empires.

I pretty much love anything strategy- and sim-oriented. Need to get Civilization 6 on console because my rig is a potato.

My favorite game of all time is probably Shadow of the Colossus. Everything about it is amazing and perfect.

• Love
Reactions: RiffRaff

AllCutUp1136

Jul 4, 2020
I'm very happy to hear you are beating the fight with brain cancer!
Thanks! #FuckCancer

If you don't mind my asking, is it hard on you emotionally? How do you deal with the stress and keep on the positive side? I fear I'd be a total wreck.
Emotion never really played into it, or at least I never let it boil up to the surface. For example, I never cried. When I first received the diagnosis, I remember thinking to myself, "Alright, Jonathan. This is going to suck, but we can do this." I am a staunch believer in the Power of Positivity, so I just always tried to hold my head up high and get it over and done with.

AllCutUp1136

Jul 4, 2020
Congrats! Hope you keep beating brain cancer for a long time!
Thanks, me too!

Since you mentioned it, what are your favorites? Video game/book/movie/album/etc.
You better be ready for me to run wild with the "etc."... here we go!

Video game: Shadow of the Colossus
Book: "Cloud Atlas" by David Mitchell
Author: Stephen King
Movie: Aliens
Director: Christopher Nolan
Album: "Physical Graffiti" by Led Zeppelin
Bands: Classic rock - Led Zeppelin; Modern rock - Muse; Metal - Metallica (see: avatar); EDM - Tie between Daft Punk and Knife Party
Food: Sushi
Color: Dark green
Drink: Old Fashioned
Sign: Virgo

Reactions: Zalno and RiffRaff

PhilKenSebben

Lord of Loss
Staff member
Robot
Apr 15, 2020
Cali
Thanks, me too!

You better be ready for me to run wild with the "etc."... here we go!

Video game: Shadow of the Colossus
Book: "Cloud Atlas" by David Mitchell
Author: Stephen King
Movie: Aliens
Director: Christopher Nolan
Album: "Physical Graffiti" by Led Zeppelin
Bands: Classic rock - Led Zeppelin; Modern rock - Muse; Metal - Metallica (see: avatar); EDM - Tie between Daft Punk and Knife Party
Food: Sushi
Color: Dark green
Drink: Old Fashioned
Sign: Virgo

I like you. Welcome.

Reactions: Zalno and RiffRaff

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
Yo!

My left hand in unaffected, but my right hand is. Whenever there's an option I prefer controllers over keyboards. No modification needed. I used to fiddle around with the PS4 accessibility settings, but it needs to be more involved. Like, for Doom 2016 I tried swapping out the triggers, because I preferred having primary fire on L2. But then it reversed menu navigation, and that was just a huge pain. It's good that Sony implemented it, it just needs to be way more through.

Like I mentioned earlier, I just started ACNH and it is GREAT. Very picky about my island details, so I am resetting momentarily (I swear, I have like this weird video gaming OCD).

I have a soft spot for the Dynasty Warriors series. Didn't get DW9, because I heard the big overhauls they made were pretty terrible. Recently been playing DW8 Empires.

I pretty much love anything strategy- and sim-oriented. Need to get Civilization 6 on console because my rig is a potato.

My favorite game of all time is probably Shadow of the Colossus. Everything about it is amazing and perfect.
That's cool! Did you play TLoU2? It's a bit of a downer story, but the accessibility options are amazing. My shitty eyes were so thankful they put so much work into that aspect.
Love me some Civ. 6 is pretty good, but 4 still remains my favorite.
Never really played Warriors games, but I did triple dip on Hyrule Warriors and put over 500 hours collectively between the three versions....

Reactions: AllCutUp1136

AllCutUp1136

Jul 4, 2020
That's cool! Did you play TLoU2? It's a bit of a downer story, but the accessibility options are amazing. My shitty eyes were so thankful they put so much work into that aspect.
Love me some Civ. 6 is pretty good, but 4 still remains my favorite.
Never really played Warriors games, but I did triple dip on Hyrule Warriors and put over 500 hours collectively between the three versions....
Want to play/beat TLoU1 first. My PS4 backlog is pretty massive. Can't go back to Civ4 after they moved to a hex grid and killed Stacks of Doom. Hyrule Warriors is probably my favorite Warriors game. Had it for WiiU and now have the Definitive Edition on Switch.

Tarvu

Jun 21, 2020
www.destructoid.com
Welcome! I knew a guy at University with cerebral palsy, he funnelled into a solid stand-up act. Bit that I remember well is him having to deal with people (such as police) thinking he was incredibly drunk.

Reactions: AllCutUp1136