DToid Forum's Drink Recipe Thread

taterchimp

Jun 8, 2020
Iowa
Figured I would try to ride on the coat tails of the food thread and make on for your own drinks. Post your favorite drink recipe as well as what your 'signature' drink is!

For me, my favorite is the Rusty Nail: The Final Weapon in the Never-ending War Against Sobriety. It uses Drambuie, which is scotch mixed with spices and honey or something like that to create a super sweet, but 80 proof spirit. Then you take that, and dilute it with scotch until palatable. As a side note for the drink, don't use good scotch - you aren't going to taste it over the Drambuie. Dewar's is what I 'prefer' for the Scotch

Rusty Nail
1.5 oz Scotch
1 oz Drambuie

Pour over ice into a short glass and mix.

My signature drink would be what I call a Oaxacan. I found a bottle in the store once that was Ancho Chile liquor and decided I had to experiment with it. The best use I found was a riff on a classic Manhattan. It doesn't wind up being spicy, but more of the floral chile flavor comes through.

Oaxacan
2 oz Ancho Reyes
1 oz Sweet Vermouth (Dolan Plz)
3 dashes Aztec Chocolate Bitters (or just chocolate bitters if you can't find it)

Pour over ice in a short glass and mix. Many people chill their Manhattan's in a shaker then serve in a coupe or martini glass, but I personally don't like it that way. YMMV

Reactions: AtomicBanana

✨ Matt ✨

Garbage Pail Kid
May 10, 2020
I usually just drink my liquor straight, but a good old-fashioned Maryland-style Bloody Mary oyster shot with Old Bay is hard to beat. Pick your favorite brand of tomato juice and vodka at a 2:1 ration respectively, mix together in a shot glass with a raw oyster at the bottom, add lemon, Old Bay, and Worcestershire sauce to taste and slurp that bad boy up. You can use a bit of horseradish in it as well to give it that seafood feel if you'd like too, but I prefer the classics.

PhilKenSebben

Lord of Loss
Staff member
Robot
Apr 15, 2020
Cali
One of my fav summer drinks is pretty simple:

8oz Sprite.
1 shot of peach absolut
One tsp of cherry juice

Everyone seems to like it, but not something you want to get hammered on. Just have a couple and get a nice buzz, on a hot day.

My personal recipe for myself:

12oz Sprite
3 shots
No cherry juice. Squirt of lime juice tho.

Never named it.

Reactions: taterchimp

zatoseyes

May 11, 2020
I don't have any specific recipes, but I know a few interesting mixes for ya'll to experiment with.

Captain Morgan and Sprite tastes like cream soda.
Jägermeister and Root Beer tastes like Root Beer.

This knowledge will get you fucked up if you're not careful.

AtomicBanana

Technically the best. Literally the worst.
May 11, 2020
The Rusty Nail was a staple of mine when I used to return to karaoke after a long absence. It just seemed so apt.

That said, seeing as we've got one foot into the rainy season here in New Mexico, my signature drink for this time of year is the Dark and Stormy.

• Get a glass, drop in some ice cubes
  • Add 2oz of dark rum
  • Squirt in some lime juice (1/2oz if you're measuring, I like to guess here)
  • Add 3oz of ginger beer (not ginger ale)
  • stir with a bar spoon or a stir stick/chopsticks
  • say "Dark and Stormy" in your worst Jamaican accent.
  • Pretend you're on a beach somewhere, earning 20 percent.
  • Remember that Alan Rickman is dead.
  • Make another Dark and Stormy
  • Repeat until unconscious.

Reactions: taterchimp

Turbokill

May 12, 2020
So, I'm one of those types that can't stand red wine and can barely tolerate most whites. That said, this spiced wine recipe that may or may not be from the Elder Scrolls Cookbook was really good:

• 1 750-ml bottle of red wine, like Cabernet
  • 2 Cinnamon sticks
  • 1/4 teaspoon of ground cardamom
  • 1 teaspoon of crushed juniper berries
  • 1 inch of fresh ginger, peeled/sliced thin
  • Pinch of ground pepper
  • 2 shots of brandy
  • 1 short port

Making it is pretty simple:

1. Combine everything (except the brandy and port) in a large saucepan at medium-low. Bring up to almost a simmer, and keep it there for ~15 minutes until sugar dissolves and there's a good smell
  2. Then take it off heat and keep it covered overnight. (At least 12 hours)
  3. To finish, you add the brandy and port, and strain it into sterile bottles. You can have it warm or at room temperature.

It was quite good.