Favorite Books

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
Another 'what's your favorite' thread. Whatever. They're fun and a great way to discover new stuff.
What are some of your favorite books (or graphic novels)?

#1. The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams

and in no particular order:
  • IT, The Dark Tower series, and 11/22/63 - Stephen King
  • The Incal (Graphic Novel series) - Moebius and Alejandro Jodorowrski
  • Kafka on the Shore, 1Q84, Hard-Boiled Wonderland, and pretty much everything by Haruki Murakami
  • Dune - Frank Herbert
  • The Wind in the Willows - Kenneth Grahame
  • Oh! The Places You'll Go - Dr. Seuss
  • The Alchemist - Paolo Coelho
  • Pretty much everything by H.P. Lovecraft
  • What is the What and You Shall Know Our Velocity by Dave Eggers

Reactions: Heat

NeoTurbo

Some sort of human person?
May 10, 2020
Edmonton, Alberta
First off I'll say I'm a huge Jim Butcher fan, and I consistently reread The Dresden Files and The Codex Alera. I just wanted that out of the way because they would automatically be at the top of any book list I do.

Now, other books I like in no particular order;

-John Dies at the End
-This Book is Full of Spiders
-World War Z
-The Dragonlance Twins trilogy
-The Dragonlance War of Souls trilogy
-Obviously the Harry Potter books were solid, but I really liked that Fantastic Beasts book that came out before the movie
-House of Leaves, which I haven't finished but love it's style

And if we can count comics/manga I would say my favorites for those would be the DC Blackest Night storyline, Sandman and Fables for comics. And Love Hina for manga.

• Love
Reactions: RiffRaff

zatoseyes

May 11, 2020
I don't read a lot these days, but I really enjoyed Rhapsody, Prophecy, and Destiny by Elizabeth Haydon. I got Prophecy from a box of books at the library that were up for grabs and read it without realizing it was the second book in the series. It's the only time I've read a series out of order like that, and I'm kind of glad I did because it made a certain part a big reveal where otherwise I would have just been waiting for the characters to figure out what I already knew.

But if you like fantasy stories driven by a female protagonist, check them out.

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
First off I'll say I'm a huge Jim Butcher fan, and I consistently reread The Dresden Files and The Codex Alera. I just wanted that out of the way because they would automatically be at the top of any book list I do.

Now, other books I like in no particular order;

-John Dies at the End
-This Book is Full of Spiders
-World War Z
-The Dragonlance Twins trilogy
-The Dragonlance War of Souls trilogy
-Obviously the Harry Potter books were solid, but I really liked that Fantastic Beasts book that came out before the movie
-House of Leaves, which I haven't finished but love it's style

And if we can count comics/manga I would say my favorites for those would be the DC Blackest Night storyline, Sandman and Fables for comics. And Love Hina for manga.
Both those David Wong books were delightful!! Really fun reads! House of Leaves is great too!
I actually have a couple Dragonlance books on my shelf that sit unread. I should crack them open one day.

NeoTurbo

May 10, 2020
Edmonton, Alberta
If one of them is the Twins trilogy you owe it to yourself to read it. Such a good dnd style romp. My one buddy also keeps telling me to read this one Dragonlance book about the Minotaur race, apparently they're like a sailor based culture with a bit of greek. It sounded cool.

• Love

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
If one of them is the Twins trilogy you owe it to yourself to read it. Such a good dnd style romp. My one buddy also keeps telling me to read this one Dragonlance book about the Minotaur race, apparently they're like a sailor based culture with a bit of greek. It sounded cool.
Speaking of D&D romps, have you ever read any of the Critical Failures books by Robert Beven? A laugh a minute for anyone who's played D&D. You can usually get the whole series for Kindle dirt cheap (I think I paid $3 for a 5 book collection). Highly recommended.

Link

Last edited:

NeoTurbo

May 10, 2020
Edmonton, Alberta
I have not! My one buddy has been trying to get me to watch Critical Role for forever though. Unfortunately I'm one of those people who has to like...(re) discover it for myself sometimes for it to stick in my brain. Also I can be fickle as fuuuuuck.

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
I have not! My one buddy has been trying to get me to watch Critical Role for forever though. Unfortunately I'm one of those people who has to like...(re) discover it for myself sometimes for it to stick in my brain. Also I can be fickle as fuuuuuck.
When I have the patience for it, Critical Role is one of the only Youtube things I can watch (listen to). It's absolutely hilarious!
Critical Failures is about a group of friends who get sucked into their D&D game. Shenanigans ensue.

May 13, 2020
I am not any connoisseur of literature so don't @ me folks. In no particular order:

Paradise Lost (John Milton): I love this book, although it's a bit longer than it should (most epic poems are), the characterization of Satan is amazing.

The Shining (King): the depth Stephen puts in the characters is beyond words.

Crime and Punishment (Dostoevsky): I won't say anything because the things that make it great are spoilers.

No longer human (Osamu Dazai): this book hits me home so much. This is a bad thing though, read the book to know why ; )

Silmarillion and The Lord of the Rings: after reading The Silmarillion I understood why Tolkien wanted to print a giant book with Frodo's adventure and the whole lore of the world. They complement each other magnificently.

• Love
Reactions: RiffRaff and Heat

Heat

May 10, 2020
Oh, this is going to be a difficult one.

1- Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury: for me it was terrifying, a future without books, with only TV... ugh.

2- Don Quixote de la Mancha by Miguel de Cervantes. A classic. You can't find such witty dialog between two characters better than this anywhere else.

3- Bag of Bones by Stephen King: I've read lots of King books, but this one was pretty haunting, and i think it keep me awaken thinking about it more than any other of his books.
4- The Silmarillion by Tolkien: I started with this one! later on i read the Rings Trilogy and the Hobbit, and i love the heroic stories of this book.

5- South of the Border, West of the Sun by Haruki Murakami: Damn, Murakami sure knows how to make a relatable main character and his middle age woes.

6- The Postman by Antonio Skarmeta: Ardiente Paciencia, as know in Chile. Its a sweet and funny story between a postman and Pablo Neruda.

7- Embers by Sandor Marai: Refined, paused and with a silky prose to tell a story and engage like any other. Not for impatient people!

8- The Magician's Nephew by C.S. Lewis: My favorite Narnia book. I love creationists myths, and this one is pretty evocative.

9- The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery. My childhood, i read this one as a kid, probably 8 or 9 years old and didn't get it. I read it again at 28 and almost cried.

10- Papelucho by Marcela Paz: This is my real childhood! Papelucho is a series of books about a kid with wild imagination and his everyday life in the city of Santiago de Chile, where i live. If it wasn't for this particular series, i probably wouldn't love books as i love them now.

Those are in no particular order though, easily i can put any of them on my top 1.

• Love