RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
Or more if you feel like it.

In no particular order:
  • The Big Lebowski
  • My Neighbor Totoro (and nearly all other Miyazaki films)
  • The Goonies
  • Planes, Trains, and Automobiles
  • The Princess Bride

-ish:
  • Akira
  • The Neverending Story
  • Orgazmo
  • Terror Firmer
  • Army of Darkness

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
Not going to go by any order. Because screw that.
  • Alien
  • The Thing
  • Pan's Labyrinth
  • What We Do in the Shadows
  • Hot Fuzz
  • Spirited Away
  • A Silent Voice
  • Shin Godzilla
  • Ghost in the Shell
  • Mandy
Yup, it's a top 10. Oh well. It's hard to narrow things down.
Many of those could easily make their way into my list as well. And holy fuck Mandy is a goddamn amazing film!

Reactions: sweaty dungus

LaserPirate

Frequently confused
May 10, 2020
Or more if you feel like it.

In no particular order:
  • The Big Lebowski
  • My Neighbor Totoro (and nearly all other Miyazaki films)
  • The Goonies
  • Planes, Trains, and Automobiles
  • The Princess Bride

-ish:
  • Akira
  • The Neverending Story
  • Orgazmo
  • Terror Firmer
  • Army of Darkness
I love all of these movies but I've never heard of Terror Firmer. I think I should watch this film.

• Love
Reactions: RiffRaff

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
I love all of these movies but I've never heard of Terror Firmer. I think I should watch this film.
Terror Firmer is a Troma film. If you know Troma, you know what you're getting yourself into ;) It's about a blind director of ten-cent films. I found the R-Rated version on Youtube (officially uploaded by Troma) and it the most hilarious censoring ever. Both versions are worth a watch. And stay post credits ;)

LaserPirate

Frequently confused
May 10, 2020
Imma just name a bunch of movies I really like.

-Hot Fuzz
-Baby Driver
-Casablanca
-A Knight's Tale
-Equilibruim
-Tron Legacy
-Moana
-Rango
-Paranorman
-The Princess Bride

That should be okay for now.
I love all those movies! My wife follows The Rock on one of those instant pictogram messaging services and he has a running gag with his daughter. Her favorite movie is Moana but doesn't believe her dad played Maui.

LaserPirate

Frequently confused
May 10, 2020
Terror Firmer is a Troma film. If you know Troma, you know what you're getting yourself into ;) It's about a blind director of ten-cent films. I found the R-Rated version on Youtube (officially uploaded by Troma) and it the most hilarious censoring ever. Both versions are worth a watch. And stay post credits ;)
Oh man, I know Troma, I'm now pretty embarrassed that I didn't know this. I know what I'm watching tonight! Thank you!

• Love
May 10, 2020
Eternal sunshine of the Spotless Mind
The Big Lebowski
Snatch
Se7en
Pulp Fiction

So many movies I love but these stand out simply because of how many times I’ve watched them, I can almost quote the entire script of Snatch and Lebowski.

• Love
Reactions: vxxy and RiffRaff

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
Eternal sunshine of the Spotless Mind
The Big Lebowski
Snatch
Se7en
Pulp Fiction

So many movies I love but these stand out simply because of how many times I’ve watched them, I can almost quote the entire script of Snatch and Lebowski.
Eternal Sunshine is such a great film! I love the Italian title translation of it, Se mi lasci, ti cancelli (If You Leave Me, I'll Delete You). Apparently the person localizing it didn't even watch the film. Just saw Jim Carey was in it and gave it a comedy title based off the blurb. It started a movement to start localizing films better in Italy.

Reactions: FakePlasticTree
May 10, 2020
Eternal Sunshine is such a great film! I love the Italian title translation of it, Se mi lasci, ti cancelli (If You Leave Me, I'll Delete You). Apparently the person localizing it didn't even watch the film. Just saw Jim Carey was in it and gave it a comedy title based off the blurb. It started a movement to start localizing films better in Italy.
He might have changed his tune about Jim Carrey if he had watched it, Kate Winslet is also extraordinary in it. I think Clementine is my favorite Winslet character.

Surprisingly that localized title really works too.

sweaty dungus

Thickened-up hunk
May 11, 2020
Alien, The Thing, and The Fly are definitely on my list.
80's body horror in general is so fun to watch. The amount of labor & resources required to pull off those effects these days simply isn't worth it when CGI is the alternative.
Lebowski too I suppose. Call it overrated or over-quoted if you want, but that film is like comfort food to me.
Starship Troopers and Robocop are a couple others that I rank highly. Just dope ass B-movies with excellent social satire. Verhoeven is a master at that.
Also a huge fan of Dr. Strangelove, I watch that maybe once every couple years and it never feels dated or off the mark.

These aren't very original or contrarian picks, just some serious all time greats from directors I deeply admire. For a lot of these guys, I'm a fan of their entire filmography.
So realistically my list is something like 5 directors: Carpenter, Cronenberg, Kubrick, Verhoeven, the Coens

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
Alien, The Thing, and The Fly are definitely on my list.
80's body horror in general is so fun to watch. The amount of labor & resources required to pull off those effects these days simply isn't worth it when CGI is the alternative.
Lebowski too I suppose. Call it overrated or over-quoted if you want, but that film is like comfort food to me.
Starship Troopers and Robocop are a couple others that I rank highly. Just dope ass B-movies with excellent social satire. Verhoeven is a master at that.
Also a huge fan of Dr. Strangelove, I watch that maybe once every couple years and it never feels dated or off the mark.

These aren't very original or contrarian picks, just some serious all time greats from directors I deeply admire. For a lot of these guys, I'm a fan of their entire filmography.
So realistically my list is something like 5 directors: Carpenter, Cronenberg, Kubrick, Verhoeven, the Coens
Love me some body horror. Videodrome is a goddamn masterpiece!

Reactions: sweaty dungus

sweaty dungus

Thickened-up hunk
May 11, 2020
Yeah, body horror is such a snapshot in time. I have so much respect for directors who actually attempt it in the modern day.

Semi-related, Fury Road is a damn modern masterpiece and I can only imagine how grueling that was to film. George Miller is a legend