It's that Brazilian guy! Come say hello!

Nior

Scrublord Extraordinaire
May 17, 2020
Brazil
Oh hey we got a Forum. It would be rude not to use it, don't you agree? Hello there world! Name's Nior and you might recognize me if you ever spend any time around the Community Blogs! I've been around since 2014 as a member, but I only recently (like, last year recently) decided to take my writing habits a tad more seriously! Pleased to meet ya!

• How did you find Dtoid?
I don't really remember. I'm sure it was related to the C-Blog side of things, since I used to spend hours reading the daily recaps and picking whatever looked interesting to me, but the specifics evade me.
  • Why do you tell everyone where you're from?
When I started using the Internet, there was a (well deserved) stigma around Brazilians. I still remember getting kicked out of CS 1.6 matches simply because I'm from Brazil. So I wanted to help improve that image any way I could. Nowadays it's more a habit that stuck around (and also a way to make myself a special snowflake but shh).
  • What the hell is a Nior?
No, it's not a misspelling or noir. My screen name has a dumb origin. Since I'm not the creative type, the idea I had was to just scramble my real name and try to make an anagram. I was also really into the Norse Mythos at the time, so I tried to make it sound slightly foreign and cool. I came up with "Niorjd", which was kinda similar to the Norse god "Njord", the guy associated with wealth and fertility. Turns out, that nickname was dumb to write and stupid to pronounce, so a friend suggested I cut the last two letters. Turns out I still got my wish, cause Nior is apparently the Swedish word for "nine". Funny how life works eh?
  • What are your favorite games?
I grew up with PC Gaming, so RTS and RPG are some of my favorite genres to this day. I also get a high from playing a good Shmup like you wouldn't believe! So here's a few of them in no particular order: Final Fantasy VI, Top Gear, Unreal Tournament, Red Alert 2, Ikaruga/Radiant Silvergun, CrossCode, Guilty Gear Xrd, 999, Celeste.
  • Interests outside of gaming?
Anime and books mostly. Not really into movies or TV series. I'm also a huge power metal nerd and I guess blogging would also count.
  • Why do you blog in English?
Simply because there isn't a Brazilian equivalent of Dtoid where Community Blogs can even exist. Another reason would be because here, I can connect and reach people from all around the world. The third and perhaps most important, there are so few people documenting Brazilian gaming history that I wanted to do my part. We have a lot of cool stories, and personally I still have memories I want to share with the world.

And I guess that's about it! If for some unfathomable reason you feel like reading my words, you can head over to my Dtoid profile page and check the sidebar, where I've links to all of my Brazil of Games shtick. I also recently wrote a giant Shmup retrospective that I'm really proud of! If you got any more questions, just ask away!

SEE YA, SPACE COWBOYS!

Xeo

May 10, 2020
I too love power metal! Who's your favorite of that genre?

Nior

Scrublord Extraordinaire
May 17, 2020
Brazil
I too love power metal! Who's your favorite of that genre?

Hmm. Rhapsody of Fire and Helloween served as my introduction to the genre, so they have special places in my cold, dead heart. Right now, I'm really into Beast In Black and I recently rediscovered the absolute cheese that is Dragonforce. I feel like a dumb teenager again xD

Hey, man, I love reading your Brazilian gaming blogs!

Thank you! It's been a while since I wrote one of those, so hopefully I'll be done with my other projects soon, so I can get back to that.

Xeo

May 10, 2020
Hmm. Rhapsody of Fire and Helloween served as my introduction to the genre, so they have special places in my cold, dead heart. Right now, I'm really into Beast In Black and I recently rediscovered the absolute cheese that is Dragonforce. I feel like a dumb teenager again xD

Thank you! It's been a while since I wrote one of those, so hopefully I'll be done with my other projects soon, so I can get back to that.
I love some Dragonforce if I'm in the right mood, especially the older material when ZP Theart was still on vocals. They're a fun band live, that's for damn sure. A party band at heart, so it makes sense. I'd have to say my own favorite would be Blind Guardian.