Most WTF Game

Jun 9, 2020
UK
Oh wow, how could I forget I Have No Mouth. Yeah, that's pretty horrific - and actually toned down from the source material and the original design if I remember correctly? I think the original was due to have more overt themes of abuse and also the nazi section was supposed to be more graphic.

Ellison seemed like an awful human being, but he sure was a great writer.

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
Oh wow, how could I forget I Have No Mouth. Yeah, that's pretty horrific - and actually toned down from the source material and the original design if I remember correctly? I think the original was due to have more overt themes of abuse and also the nazi section was supposed to be more graphic.

Ellison seemed like an awful human being, but he sure was a great writer.
Yeah, it was toned down and we still got a pretty damn horrific game lol.
And yeah, Ellison was an awful, belligerent human being and can't give him the same 'product of his time' pass we give Lovecraft. But damn could he write and him being an awful person was a part of what made his writing so engaging.

Reactions: Panzadolphin56
Jun 9, 2020
UK
Oh god, yeah. Sometimes they're the best people to write about these things, because they censor themselves less than the rest of us.

I'd love to see a modern uncensored remake of I have no Mouth. It really does touch on some interesting themes, though they should probably bring on a female writer to flesh out Ellen's story a bit better.

• Love
Reactions: RiffRaff

Xeo

May 10, 2020
Dark Seed brings to mind an all-time favorite game of mine, I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream. It has it's moments of horrific, graphic visuals and themes, but what really makes it great is that overbearing sense of despair. Harlan Ellison's (author of the must read short story that served as the basis for the game. RIP) overacted voice work as the antagonist is also wonderful and adds so much personality to the game.
Was waiting for this one to get brought up. One of the only games I can think of off the top of my head that has an atmosphere so full of oppressive despair is "Theresia" for the DS. A very much overlooked horror/puzzle/adventure gem. That game is bleak, lonely, and depressing.

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
Was waiting for this one to get brought up. One of the only games I can think of off the top of my head that has an atmosphere so full of oppressive despair is "Theresia" for the DS. A very much overlooked horror/puzzle/adventure gem. That game is bleak, lonely, and depressing.
Never heard of Theresia. I'll have to check it out!

Xeo

May 10, 2020
Never heard of Theresia. I'll have to check it out!
It's flew extremely low under the radar, and to be honest, even if it hadn't, I don't think it would have taken off due to what it is. There's no combat, no action, just exploration, pain, loneliness and despair. I don't think I've ever played a game that had an atmosphere that thick with tension and desolation combined together. The game deals in some really, really dark subject matter too.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: RiffRaff