--Movie Thread-- Post movies you've recently seen/reviews/recommendations/ask for recommendations

Jun 9, 2020
UK
I just watched Ring. I was honestly kind of disappointed by it. Was thinking about how Deathnote was similar in a way but much better. It made no sense why the character distributes the VHS! Also don't know that I've seen flatter lead characters in a long time.

I watched another not good horror romp called Lake Death(?). I think that's the name anyway, it's on Shudder. It takes about an hour to go anywhere, but once it does it becomes more interesting. Good cinematography, everyone is a Scandinavian model in it, and generally good acting. But that director needs an editor or something my God! 55 minutes to get to the point where they start turning on each other in confinement ala Day of the Dead.

Sorry to rant, I'll talk about something I actually enjoyed next time. :D

That the American remake of The Ring from 2002?

AllCutUp1136

Jul 4, 2020
Oh nice, just found out there's another Tremors movie being made, and it's set on a tropical island with aquatic graboids?! Holy shit, yes please.
*Googles*
Okay, Michael Gross is still with us, good.
Haven't seen any of the series past Tremors 2. Are Earl and Valentine still alive in continuity? A Fred Ward and Kevin Bacon cameo would be cool.

Jun 9, 2020
UK
*Googles*
Okay, Michael Gross is still with us, good.
Haven't seen any of the series past Tremors 2. Are Earl and Valentine still alive in continuity? A Fred Ward and Kevin Bacon cameo would be cool.

I actually have no idea, I've only seen like 1, 2 and whichever was the Western one? I think Gross is in them all, but he's really the only returning cast member after like 2.

AllCutUp1136

Jul 4, 2020
So, been showing my younger brother some must-see (IMO) movies. He's been wanting to watch Alien, and we did that today. Which means next time, it's Aliens - one of my favorite movies ever.

Reactions: Batthink

Turbokill

May 12, 2020
I watched Peanut Butter Falcon on Prime Video and I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. Worth a watch. Shia Labeouf did really well, as did the person who played Zach.

modern_moron

Gold Standard in Stupidity
Jun 11, 2020
Watched Knives Out the other day and god damn that was a really good movie where I guessed the ending incorrectly multiple times.

Then I re-watched In Bruges for the millionth time because I love that movie.

Followed by a re-watch of Time Bandits last night (obviously prompted by In Bruges)

Then An American Werewolf in London because it's another favorite of mine I watch at least once a year. Hoping Landis' son's attempt at a reboot never sees the light of day. I just have zero confidence in remakes like this. There's just no need. Even John Landis has little confidence that it'll go over well, lmao.

AllCutUp1136

Jul 4, 2020
Can we talk about how amazing the modern Planet of the Apes trilogy was? Did a re-watch this week, and all three films are still fantastic.

Reactions: Cactüs

modern_moron

Gold Standard in Stupidity
Jun 11, 2020
I started Lovecraft Country and two episodes in I'm kind of disappointed with the pacing.

Especially the first episode.

Way too deep a dive into the Lovecraft mythos right off the bat.

Let that shit simmer.

SortaUnfocused

Oct 1, 2020
About that time for my ritualistic rewatching of Battlestar Galactica, but this go-around I'm starting with the prequel series Caprica, which I haven't seen before. It's good, glad I'm watching it, but it certainly is no BSG.

Also, guys n' gals... want a good laugh, circa 2017?

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

SortaUnfocused

Oct 1, 2020
Rewatching what I like to call the "Nicolas Cage Trilogy of Awesome:" The Rock/Con Air/Face Off

Watching in release order, so started with The Rock. Still one of my favorite 90s action movies, and probably tied with Pain & Gain as my favorite Michael Bay movie.

Reactions: modern_moron
Jun 9, 2020
UK
Rewatching what I like to call the "Nicolas Cage Trilogy of Awesome:" The Rock/Con Air/Face Off

Watching in release order, so started with The Rock. Still one of my favorite 90s action movies, and probably tied with Pain & Gain as my favorite Michael Bay movie.

Those three movies...

I need to re-watch them sometime, they really are amazing. I feel sad he never got to play Superman because everything else from that period in his career is a hoot to watch.

Reactions: SortaUnfocused

SortaUnfocused

Oct 1, 2020
Those three movies...

I need to re-watch them sometime, they really are amazing. I feel sad he never got to play Superman because everything else from that period in his career is a hoot to watch.
I forgot to mention something about The Rock - it really doesn't feel like a Michael Bay movie except for one exception... the flamboyantly gay male hair stylist in the first act. That character did not age well, and I'm guessing that trope was tired in 96 when the movie came out.

Anyway, watching Con Air sometime today.