Musician Thread

Turbokill

May 12, 2020
I did a YouTube, y'all. A Virtual Bass Ensemble was founded during quarantine to feature interested bassists and do some pieces arranged for bass ensemble. There's a bunch of small ensemble works, but we have a "huge" ensemble coming up.

I'm the one with a bass.

I feel weird just dropping a link to show something off, so maybe this can be a start of a Dtoid Bass Club™ Dtoid Musician's Club™? I've noticed we have quite a few bassists and other musicians in this community.

Learned a concerto? Share it! Started learning and figured out your first bass line? Share it! Want to participate in the thread but don't have anything of your own to share? Share something cool involving your instrument/interest!

EDIT: Who am I kidding, this should be a musician thread, not just a bass thread. Share whatever tf you want.

It could even be accordion. I LOVE THE ACCORDION. No, really.

Last edited:

Turbokill

May 12, 2020
I'm super down for a bass club... I ain't as classy as you folk, though (lovely piece, btw).

Submit anything you want! Even if it's just a simple practice log for accountability.

For example, I'm poop at theory despite studying music in school, but I'm working on it. I'm slowly working my way through Scott's Bass Lessons. Right now, I'm just working on the three basic chord shapes in major keys. I'm taking it real slow. But being able to recite the cycle of fourths (not 5ths) and suddenly seeing that pattern in music is really satisfying. Gonna be awhile before I get to minor, though.

PLANET P1SS 69

Jun 20, 2020
New Orleans, LA
Word! I'm mainly a guitar man, but I love just groovin' on some bass. I know basic theory, but I play by ear and feel. Shapes and colors, man. I'm sure we can all learn something from each other. I look forward to this whole thing. Maybe I'll start writing some more and we can create a lovely little artistic universe in these forums.

• Love
Reactions: Turbokill

Turbokill

May 12, 2020
Word! I'm mainly a guitar man, but I love just groovin' on some bass. I know basic theory, but I play by ear and feel. Shapes and colors, man. I'm sure we can all learn something from each other. I look forward to this whole thing. Maybe I'll start writing some more and we can create a lovely little artistic universe in these forums.

Screw my accidental gatekeeping, ha. Share whatever you want. (But especially bass because I'm biased)

Added an edit to the top.

Seymour Demonica

Badonkadonk Monk
Jun 9, 2020
www.youtube.com

My vocals aren't the best sometimes. Makes me appreciate those that can yell/scream in-pitch. Feels like an entirely separate talent to me, now. But, nonetheless, I think I did pretty well during most of the verses. It's really the chorus where I had the most trouble. Could've been perfected, but given that screaming like this really gets to my back herniation I had to simple concede with what I had for now.

Turbokill

May 12, 2020

My vocals aren't the best sometimes. Makes me appreciate those that can yell/scream in-pitch. Feels like an entirely separate talent to me, now. But, nonetheless, I think I did pretty well during most of the verses. It's really the chorus where I had the most trouble. Could've been perfected, but given that screaming like this really gets to my back herniation I had to simple concede with what I had for now.

Thanks for sharing, the content and your singing is great! I think even before re-doing vocals, fixing up the mix so that the instrumentals aren't overpowering your vocals would also do wonders.

Singing was never my thing, but I remember a few videos about metal/rock singing that reminded me about how dangerous singing can be. It's like being a major league pitcher. Many people don't realize that your body can only withstand you treating it like that for so long at a time.

Ever see the Vice video of Melissa Cross, a classically trained vocal coach giving voice singers lessons? (Hyperlinked) It's a good one, and there's another one of her describing the four types of "screaming" and examples of them, including in God of War and Cookie Monster:

Also, this video from a talk show or something has her going more in-depth:

Just thought I'd share, because I know about the pain that can come from using your voice extensively without training.

Reactions: Cockaroach

PLANET P1SS 69

Jun 20, 2020
New Orleans, LA

Right on, mayne. Quality cover (and I don't say that often, so I mean it). There's always things that we can work on and would like to improve, but you have a true foundation and plenty of talent.

Also, I can scream fairly well, but more in a crazed lunatic way than a hard rock/heavy-metal way

Fendibull

May 24, 2020
I think I might know Melissa that she teaches you how to scream properly for Hardcore Punk genre, Beautiful woman though, talented and taught us the safest and effective ways.

I think my band sounds like either Ramones and The Replacement.

Reactions: Turbokill