Positive Post-Covid

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
Been pondering a bit what life will be like post-Covid. I don't think things will ever go back to normal, but I do feel we can get some good things out of this whole kerfuffle.

In Milan work has already started on installing many more bike paths to cut down on public transport use. Of course we'll have to change culturally to make them more viable (eg. workplaces would have to start accepting comfortable summer dress for people who don't want to pass out from heat exhaustion), but I see this as a great thing.

And while I already do this (and I've been called out as strange because of it, but whatever) I think Eastern style greetings will be more common when meeting people you don't know, colleagues, or acquaintances. Like the Indian Namaste or the Japanese bow.

What do you think will be some positive effects of the epidemic?

May 10, 2020
I guess the positive would be that people are more concious about being sanitary, and wishful thinking would be that we’d start doubling down on eating less meat, more environmentally thinking as COVID-19 is more or less a byproduct of the shit that we are doing to our planet. I know that I still need to do better about food waste myself.

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
I guess the positive would be that people are more concious about being sanitary, and wishful thinking would be that we’d start doubling down on eating less meat, more environmentally thinking as COVID-19 is more or less a byproduct of the shit that we are doing to our planet. I know that I still need to do better about food waste myself.
I'm not vegetarian, but I don't eat much meat at all (couple times a month if I'm eating out, never cook it at home. Fish sometimes). When I made the change about 15 years ago I noticed a massive change in my health. I don't want to go on a tangent about the meat industry, but yeah, people eating less would be great for the environment.
And you're conscious about your food waste, that's a big first step :) Keep it up!!!!

Reactions: MajorTomsCoffeeCup
May 10, 2020
Oh and while we're at it, more robust online infrastructure would be neat. There's a renewed focus on work from home, and online education now. And that's very much shown us the limitations of our current networks -- especially in more remote locations.

Maybe a renewed push for better tools for remote education, too.

Affordability is also an issue, here. Working to resolve that would help a tonne. It's clear that in this day and age, having a stable and reliable online connection is a legitimate necessity.
We only just recently got fiberwire internet installed, there are so many people around the world who don’t have access to the high speed internet that people in the cities rely on and we definitely need to get there.

Reactions: Boxman214

vxxy

Huggable Mascot Character
May 11, 2020
Arendale
Lost out on my time to edit my previous comment (10 minutes, huh? Damn).

As for positive effects of COVID, I’m hoping delivery services for food and beverages and other things will continue to improve. I want to be able to get booze delivered to my house!

I would like to think the Federal government would commit to spending more money on improving health care and future proofing for the next pandemic but I’m not super optimistic about that.

Also sorry Nekro, but your Prime Minister and current government sound like Supreme Cunts :(.

Boxman214

World's Okayest Chef
May 10, 2020
I want hand shaking to just go away forever. I hope other greetings become commonplace, as you said.

I hope more work places take work from home very seriously.

I hope people are generally kinder.

I hope America adopts a single payer Healthcare system.

I hope that people take hygiene and handwashinf more seriously long term.

I hope a lot of restaurants continue to offer curbside delivery. It's a really great option.

Also, thanks for this thread. It's a great idea!

Dr. Mel

Level 33 Elite
May 11, 2020
I'm a little leery of mass transit getting a bad reputation after this, the last thing we need (in the US especially) is more people thinking "fuck public transit!" That's just not feasible for urban spaces. I don't think we're going to be in a permanent super-flu existence where we have to change our behaviors forever. What we need to change is our response to future outbreaks like this. This didn't happen because we shake hands or something, it got this bad because we didn't respond quickly enough. You can wash your hands all day long, that won't stop a flu virus from mutating into something like this again. You could never touch anything again, that's still not good enough -- this is spread through the air, primarily.

But like others have said, remote working should be on the rise, we don't need to be in the office. And that'll cut down on traffic and pollution. But beyond that, it's really in the hands of our governments to manage the severity of this, unless we plan on banning all public gatherings forever, you won't stop this from occurring in some form again.

Reactions: RiffRaff

zatoseyes

May 11, 2020
They're getting ready to "reopen" my state, and aside from maybe being bold enough to visit my friends again, I'm not going to be changing much of how I currently operate. I can live without restaurants and movie theaters, even though I do enjoy going to those places it's not worth the risk until there's a functional treatment/vaccine for the virus.

Personally, I'm hoping that all the unemployment people are signing up for becomes the norm and the US government establishes a kind of universal basic income. I'm not going to hold my breath because that would mean the people in power wouldn't be able to abuse the masses for labor and you can't expect people to act against their own self-interests. Especially the disgustingly wealthy.

Reactions: RiffRaff

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
I'm a little leery of mass transit getting a bad reputation after this, the last thing we need (in the US especially) is more people thinking "fuck public transit!" That's just not feasible for urban spaces. I don't think we're going to be in a permanent super-flu existence where we have to change our behaviors forever. What we need to change is our response to future outbreaks like this. This didn't happen because we shake hands or something, it got this bad because we didn't respond quickly enough. You can wash your hands all day long, that won't stop a flu virus from mutating into something like this again. You could never touch anything again, that's still not good enough -- this is spread through the air, primarily.

But like others have said, remote working should be on the rise, we don't need to be in the office. And that'll cut down on traffic and pollution. But beyond that, it's really in the hands of our governments to manage the severity of this, unless we plan on banning all public gatherings forever, you won't stop this from occurring in some form again.
True, I don't want mass transit to get a bad name, especially in the US. Last thing you need is more people driving. More spaces for people to cycle safer or adopting motor scooters culturally would be great.

LaserPirate

Frequently confused
May 10, 2020
You could never touch anything again, that's still not good enough -- this is spread through the air, primarily.
According to most studies, the primary method of communication is through droplet contamination in close proximity. Although there is some evidence to suggest that the virus can be detected in small airborne particles for up to 4 hours after exposure, there is little evidence to suggest that it is transmittable this way.

Dr. Mel

Level 33 Elite
May 11, 2020
According to most studies, the primary method of communication is through droplet contamination in close proximity. Although there is some evidence to suggest that the virus can be detected in small airborne particles for up to 4 hours after exposure, there is little evidence to suggest that it is transmittable this way.

I'm not sure how that's different. Close proximity means through airborne inhalation -- I don't mean it's airborne like some kind of ambient 20th century miasma lol.

My point was people are focusing primarily on not touching stuff and wiping down surfaces, when really it's breathing in someone's exhaled breath/cough/sneeze from close proximity that's the main vector. That is incredibly easy to do. It's a good idea to wash your hands and not touch your eyes and keep surfaces clean, but that's not how people are getting sick.

Boxman214

World's Okayest Chef
May 10, 2020
I'm not sure how that's different. Close proximity means through airborne inhalation -- I don't mean it's airborne like some kind of ambient 20th century miasma lol.

My point was people are focusing primarily on not touching stuff and wiping down surfaces, when really it's breathing in someone's exhaled breath/cough/sneeze from close proximity that's the main vector. That is incredibly easy to do. It's a good idea to wash your hands and not touch your eyes and keep surfaces clean, but that's not how people are getting sick.
All of the reading/watching/listening I have done disagrees. It all says the the primary contact is droplets. You do breathe them out, yes. But it's not the droplets in the air. You breath or cough onto surfaces and the water touches those surfaces. Or you breathe onto your hands and touch the surfaces. Then a different person comes along, touches the surface, inadvertently picks up some droplets, and then touches their face. That's the main way its transmitted.

Dr. Mel

Level 33 Elite
May 11, 2020
It's funny because I've been given probably the exact opposite information. I'm perfectly willing to consider both a likely means of contraction. But man, this is like information problem almost as much as it is a disease problem...