Recommend me a good romcom anime

Parismio

Lemon Zinger
May 11, 2020
Noneya
As ive QP'ed earlier, I finished rewatching Nozaki-kun. I now need similar anime in its quality that can make me burst out laughing.

D-Volt

Haruspex/Menkhu
May 10, 2020
A few romcom anime that are mediocre subbed, but have hilarious dubs are Hajimete no Gal* and Kawaikereba Hentai demo Suki ni Natte Kuremasuka?* (better known as Hensuki). Both I watched subbed and was underwhelmed. Both I rewatched dubbed and laughed my ass off multiple times. You can tell the voice actors just had fun the whole time and it shows.

Three good short form anime romcoms I enjoyed were Tsurezure Children, Ojisan to Marshmallow (ecchi but between adults), and Okusama ga Seito Kaichou!*

Both seasons of Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru are great even though ironically I wouldn't classify it as a romcom exactly. It's usually more depressing than funny. Kokoro Connect is also good if you want a romcom that's also doubles as a depressing soap opera.

Kiznaiver tried to be Kokoro Connect and sucked. Don't watch it.

I recall thinking Jitsu wa Watashi wa was pretty decent.

His and Her Circumstances is a classic. So is Secret Girlfriend X. Both very well done, but also somewhat slow burns. Don't expect to love them from episode one, but stick with them and you'll be rewarded.

I dropped The World God Only Knows after 2 episodes. Big mistake. When I went back to it I actually really enjoyed it. Just gotta push through the first few episodes and the plot starts to come together. Also the way the show's dynamic flips in the 3rd and final season is unexpectedly clever.

I like Monster Musume no Iru Nichijou*. I don't care what anyone says. The monster girls are cute, the MC is relatable enough and the premise is silly. It's good fun.

The first 3 seasons of High School DxD* are the best kind of action romcom fun. The 4th sucks in my opinion, but some people liked it.

Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu is one of the funniest and most charming anime I've seen. Still my favorite season of Full Metal Panic by far and I wish they had just kept the series that way. You don't have to have watched any of the other seasons to watch it. It gets a heavy recommend from me.

Though very popular I didn't think Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! was anything special. Maybe you will.

Didn't know what to expect from Armed Girl's Machiavellism but it was actually very good. I recommend it. A fun action romcom.

Shomin Sample* is dumb, but it has a catchy opening and some legitimately funny parts. Plus the MC is a thigh man so he gets mad respect from me.

Trinity Seven is another fun action romcom with a MC who actually flirts with the girls and doesn't give a f**k. Of course nothing serious ever really happens between him and the girls, but it's nice to see a MC who's not afraid to "go with the flow" instead of swimming against the current, so to speak.

Seishun Buta Yarou wa Bunny Girl Senpai no Yume wo Minai is brilliant. The writing is very unique and the relationship between the MC and his girlfriend is much more realistic than most anime. Their conversations mainly consist of shitting on eachother, which is about as realistic as if gets. If you like it then also watch Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko by the same creator. Good stuff.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Hope this helps.

Edit: I'll put an asterisk next to romcoms with ecchi (that I can recall) so you can personally avoid them, Parismio. Sorry I didn't see your next post earlier.

Last edited:

Parismio

Lemon Zinger
May 11, 2020
Noneya
Ah. Also. No ecchi please. Im not into that considering a lot of anime features high schoolers.

Last edited:

Parismio

Lemon Zinger
May 11, 2020
Noneya
So that's a "no" to Interspecies Reviewers? There's no high schoolers in it! Just a fully grown man, an elf, and an angel.

And it's less of a romantic comedy, and more of a "they visit all of the brothels" comedy.
Ehhh no thanks. I'm not looking for sexy times atm. Just something that's on par in quality with nozaki-kun is good enough.

RolanberryPrins

Aggressive Crybaby
May 10, 2020
Seconding Yurucamp (obviously) and Barakamon!

Toradora! is amazing. DENKI-GAI is adorable and makes me wish we had bookstores like it here. Um, Gamers! Is pretty ridiculous and fun but tbh I haven't finished it.

Hachimitsu to Clover if you don't mind some Feelz.

Some less-romance-more-comedy recommends I have are Flying Witch for cute chill anime times and Dagashi Kashi.

Hmm, If you're into reading manga hmu on discord. I have a *lot* of recommends there but a lot of rom-commish shojo anime makes me wanna hit my head on a wall.

Reactions: Parismio

Striderhoang

Naruto refugee
Staff member
Robot
Apr 15, 2020
SoCal
Something current is My Next Life as the Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom. It's a wholesome romcom you might be looking for. It's all about everybody catching feelings for the main character because she's struggling against the isekai realization that she might die as she knows it from the dating sim she played in her previous life. It's not ecchi and purely based on the main character being a good girl and how she changes the lives and outlooks of the people around her with her wholesome vibes which also happen to be based on survival.

Something older would be My Love Story or Ore no Monogatari I think. It's about a big hunking gorilla of a high school man who isn't exactly unattractive but definitely a gorilla, who wants to fall in love, and honestly does. It only spends a few episodes about falling in love and the rest is about the lovey-dovey feelings of being in a relationship.

Reactions: RolanberryPrins

Lex

Custom title:
May 11, 2020
Germany
Well, Prins already mentioned Toradora and I support this as it's one of my all-time favorites. In general and not just romcom.

Also Pet Girl of Sakurasou.
Also Gamers! which many people don'T like because it's basically "Stupid Misunderstandings - The Anime".
Also Nodame Cantabile which adds music to the romance.
Also Maid-Sama.

I could add a ton more as it's basically my favorite genre but they should be enough for at least 2-3 days.

And now I'm off to rewatch some of those...

sweaty dungus

Thickened-up hunk
May 11, 2020
Hey Arnold is a pretty good one. I don’t see it get talked about much in these conversations. It’s a period piece, has a bit of magical realism at times, the characters are very endearing. Just ignore the OVA and the 2002 film, they’re trash!

Parismio

Lemon Zinger
May 11, 2020
Noneya
Seconding Yurucamp (obviously) and Barakamon!

Toradora! is amazing. DENKI-GAI is adorable and makes me wish we had bookstores like it here. Um, Gamers! Is pretty ridiculous and fun but tbh I haven't finished it.

Hachimitsu to Clover if you don't mind some Feelz.

Some less-romance-more-comedy recommends I have are Flying Witch for cute chill anime times and Dagashi Kashi.

Hmm, If you're into reading manga hmu on discord. I have a *lot* of recommends there but a lot of rom-commish shojo anime makes me wanna hit my head on a wall.
I love ToraDora. That was a really good one.

Reactions: RolanberryPrins

Lokhe

May 11, 2020
Sweden
Uh, I wouldn't say it's a comedy, but Penguin Highway is a movie I watched recently and really enjoyed. It's certainly romantic.

Looks like all the good ones have been taken already xD.

One recommendation I have from a while back is called REC. A guy who works at a snack company and is pretty frustrated with his life in general gets stood up by his date at a classical movie theater. Another girl comes by, convinces him not to toss the tickets, and they see the movie together. Turns out the girl is a voice actress in training, and wants to someday voice Audrey Hepburn movies. A lot happens, and the girl loses her home in a fire. She ends up spending the night at the guy's place and they sleep together.

Turns out that the guy's job needs a voice for their new mascot, and the girl just so happened to be auditioning for the role the next day. They keep their living arrangement a secret, while growing closer (they're not instantly a couple). The girl is a huge Audrey Hepburn fan, often quoting her movies (and the episode titles are named after those movies).

It's a simple but cute series. It's also a pretty short series at only 9 episodes, and the episodes themselves are only 12 minutes long. Still cute and goofy, though. And hey, no teenagers! They're both in their 20s. The episodes have been on Youtube for almost a decade now:

vxxy

Huggable Mascot Character
May 11, 2020
Arendale
Hey Arnold is a pretty good one. I don’t see it get talked about much in these conversations. It’s a period piece, has a bit of magical realism at times, the characters are very endearing. Just ignore the OVA and the 2002 film, they’re trash!

Is the second film meant to be the OVA? Because that was much better received than the 2002 movie.

Anyway I’d recommend Kaguya-Sama: Love is War (I still need to get around to season 2).