Rough and Hidden Indie Gems

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
I recently picked up a couple indie games that are rough around the edges but still pretty damn great and have seemed to fly under most people's radar. So, I wanted to make a thread to suggest some indie games that aren't getting the attention they deserve and/or are rough around the edges but still worth a look at.
I want to avoid the big name indie games like Cuphead, Dead Cells, Hades, etc. here to give the little guys a chance.

I've been craving a good SRPG for a bit since the last really good one I played was Fire Emblem: 3 Houses (and on a whole, was a tad underwhelmed by it), so I picked up newly released Fae Tactics for PC (coming to consoles at an unknown date) and from Xeo's recommendation, Fell Seal for Switch (also on everything else). Both are pretty damn good and easy recommends for fans of SRPGs.

Fae Tactics is similar to FFT GBA games whereas Fell Seal is more similar to the FFT: War of the Lions (But still doesn't have that amazing ATB style gameplay. If anyone knows a SRPG that uses that FFT ATB gameplay, let me know!!!!).

Graphically, Fae Tactics is a mixed bag with many different styles clashing. Same for the music and sound effects. But the gameplay is solid as fuck providing one hell of a challenge and outstanding pixel art graphics during the main gameplay. The story, so far, is dull drek, but it moves things along well enough. The game really needs some polish, but like I said, the gameplay is tight so the lack of polish is forgivable. You can also entirely play it with just the mouse which is nice.

Fell Seal is one hell of a looker and my only gripe is I would have liked some hit impact sound effects or something more to add a bit of punch to smacking a foe with your sword or immolating them in flames. I'm still in the early hours of the game, but the story is quite interesting and the characters are interesting. Nothing revolutionary, but all round well done. It runs outstanding on Switch at 1080p 60fps for those wondering.

Reactions: CelicaCrazed

Scrustle

May 11, 2020
Bladed Fury
A short but really fun action-heavy Metroidvania. Really tight combat, and very nice art as well.

Aurion: Legacy of the Kori-Odan
A 2D action RPG made by a Cameroonian developer that focuses on local mythology.

Lucah: Born of a Dream
A surreal action adventure game that mixes the likes of Hyper Light Drifter, Dark Souls, and Nier. Very interesting story that deals with some unusual and heavy topics.

The Vagrant
Another 2D Metroidvania/action RPG. Some great art, and fun combat. It shamelessly takes a lot of inspiration from Vanillaware games, and does a fairly good job of scratching that itch.

Assault Spy
A character action game with a goofy comedic tone, really tight and well designed combat mechanics, and two playable characters.

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
Bladed Fury
A short but really fun action-heavy Metroidvania. Really tight combat, and very nice art as well.

Aurion: Legacy of the Kori-Odan
A 2D action RPG made by a Cameroonian developer that focuses on local mythology.

Lucah: Born of a Dream
A surreal action adventure game that mixes the likes of Hyper Light Drifter, Dark Souls, and Nier. Very interesting story that deals with some unusual and heavy topics.

The Vagrant
Another 2D Metroidvania/action RPG. Some great art, and fun combat. It shamelessly takes a lot of inspiration from Vanillaware games, and does a fairly good job of scratching that itch.

Assault Spy
A character action game with a goofy comedic tone, really tight and well designed combat mechanics, and two playable characters.
Never heard of any of these and they all sound interesting! Thanks!

Reactions: Scrustle