Soo.. What happened with the old boards?

jtotal

Jun 9, 2020
Columbia, MO
I'm not sure if this is a touchy subject, so if it is, I do apologize.

I've read comments and I'm not sure if my sarcasm meter is off, but did something big happen to close off the boards the last time? My curiosity has got the best of me.

Roager

Rogue Ogre
May 11, 2020
You're not missing much.

In short, there were forums, but there wasn't a ton of overlap between people who frequented the main site and people who frequented the forums. They grew apart and the forums were closed, and now people like to reference it as a silly in-joke because of the new forums.

Tarvu

Jun 21, 2020
www.destructoid.com
I think he realised they were only running them (If I recall correctly the vbull format wasn't free) for a small group of people who had little involvement on the front page, so there wasn't much point to them, which is very fair.

The old forums were well past the peak of their activity, and there were some difficult characters in the pack. They caused way too much trouble for the minimal value added to the site. They were some fun times though. The badges were great, always wished that had been a thing across the site.

PhilKenSebben

Lord of Loss
Staff member
Robot
Apr 15, 2020
Cali
I think he realised they were only running them (If I recall correctly the vbull format wasn't free) for a small group of people who had little involvement on the front page, so there wasn't much point to them, which is very fair.

The old forums were well past the peak of their activity, and there were some difficult characters in the pack. They caused way too much trouble for the minimal value added to the site. They were some fun times though. The badges were great, always wished that had been a thing across the site.

BIRDMAN!!! <3

Reactions: jtotal

Xeo

May 10, 2020
I've heard rumor that there was an incident involving a serial killer and some campers smoking drugs and having premarital sex.

Tarvu

Jun 21, 2020
www.destructoid.com
There were some really serial killery sorts in the old crowd (or just deranged idk), but they mostly outed themselves as being terrible people and ran away.

I always wanted the forums to be closer but you can't blame the people at the bottom for that, it was allowed to become what it was by setting up different moderators and basically never referring to it on the main site. When I was pushing FNF I was always linking it back to the forums as the place where organisation actually took place, few others did that. There should have been editors linking the discussion threads for new/upcoming games in articles about them.

I'll cop to not having interest in the main site as a place to visit, I don't need gaming news even if I had the time for it, but the people in the community are good and given a proper interface for interaction (which is not comment sections under articles and blogs, c'mon) something great can emerge.

Retrofraction

May 20, 2020
Well if you’re talking about the really really really old boards, those were into what we have now as the main page of Destrctoid.

if you’re talking about the semi new boards, they’re here somewhere but you have to do a lot of prodding and it’s almost impossible to read them because most of the data has been corrupted because the website standards have changed since the early 2008 web 3.0

but also because there is a huge moderation status that happened because there for a while the forms were not having any sort of moderation and it was kind of getting old school 4chan vibes.

which could’ve worked except that the website was popular in 2014, and video games gate happened, and a couple really big firings happened and a couple of a past employee is vented pretty hard in the forms.

so they’re gone to the ether.

Destrctoid lost a good amount of users over the loss of the boards but honestly it needed to happen.

Xeo

May 10, 2020
There were some really serial killery sorts in the old crowd (or just deranged idk), but they mostly outed themselves as being terrible people and ran away.

I always wanted the forums to be closer but you can't blame the people at the bottom for that, it was allowed to become what it was by setting up different moderators and basically never referring to it on the main site. When I was pushing FNF I was always linking it back to the forums as the place where organisation actually took place, few others did that. There should have been editors linking the discussion threads for new/upcoming games in articles about them.

I'll cop to not having interest in the main site as a place to visit, I don't need gaming news even if I had the time for it, but the people in the community are good and given a proper interface for interaction (which is not comment sections under articles and blogs, c'mon) something great can emerge.
I told you all, it had something to do with a serial killer. It often does.