Stupid Facebook Music Thingamajig

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
Unfortunately I've been on Facebook quite a bit more during the lockdown. It's still a shitshow that makes me kinda hate humanity, but I also am able to easily connect with family and friends there. I did delete a lot of people who aren't family, unfollowed current events sources, and silenced my less than intelligent family members. Does make it more tolerable.
I got roped into this whole music thingamajig the other day where people are posting the cover of albums they really like. Figured I'd join in to at least make my FB more positive.
I just gonna c/p what I wrote there to here. Would love for you all to join in here!

'I see lots of you posting about your favorite albums. To not miss any opportunity to share some music I enjoy, I'm jumping on the bandwagon. I'll try to keep each day's entry as diverse as possible so hopefully at least one person checks it out. I'll leave a song in the comments for you to enjoy (ignore).

Day 1: None Shall Pass by Aesop Rock
811egjOMq+L._SS500_.jpg

I've never been huge into hip hop, but after discovering Aesop Rock a few years ago a whole new world of music was opened up to me in indie hip hop. Incredible lyricism, interesting beats and flow, and topics that I find much more relatable (like kitty cats
:) ). There's not a single subpar Aesop album and I love them all, but None Shall Pass was the first I heard so it holds a special place. Definitely give it a listen even if hip hop isn't your typical genre.'

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
Day 2: To the Bone by Steven Wilson
unnamed.jpg

After much thought, internal struggle, and deliberation (in other words, not much at all) I've come to the conclusion that Steven Wilson's To the Bone is my all-time favorite album. Each song is an absolute joy and explores so many facets of rock music. Lyrical themes range from joy to depression to hopefulness to loss and everything in between. Such a lovely look at the complexity of the human condition. And for you audiophiles out there, oh lord does this album sound amazing!

Being my favorite album and all, of course I deeply urge you to give the full record a listen. Just one song isn't enough. And if you ever have a chance to see him live don't pass it up. Easily one of the very best and incredibly unique concert experiences I've ever attended.

✨ Matt ✨

Garbage Pail Kid
May 10, 2020
Using Facebook in the year of Our Lord two thousand and twenty? ⚠Boomer Alert⚠
For real though, Facebook and Twitter can be miserable hellsites so it's nice to see people making something positive out of them! Excited to go through my albums and pick some out for this.

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
Using Facebook in the year of Our Lord two thousand and twenty? ⚠Boomer Alert⚠
For real though, Facebook and Twitter can be miserable hellsites so it's nice to see people making something positive out of them! Excited to go through my albums and pick some out for this.
I guess these social media platforms are what you make of them. There's always a choice to delete the toxicity or not involve yourself :)
I look forward to seeing your music picks!!!!

✨ Matt ✨

Garbage Pail Kid
May 10, 2020
IMG_8123.JPG

While it's not my favorite album ever, I think my first pick is going to be the folk rock album Morning Phase by Beck. As someone who grew up listening to his experimental and alternate stuff, realizing he had such a range of musical talent was a big surprise. One of the very few albums where I like every track on it. Helped get me through some though times despite being such a melancholic album.

• Love
Reactions: RiffRaff

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
View attachment 62
While it's not my favorite album ever, I think my first pick is going to be the folk rock album Morning Phase by Beck. As someone who grew up listening to his experimental and alternate stuff, realizing he had such a range of musical talent was a big surprise. One of the very few albums where I like every track on it. Helped get me through some though times despite being such a melancholic album.
Beck is an artist I need to spend more time with. I love everything I've heard from him and Sea Change is an album very dear to me.

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
I've heard people say that Morning Phase is like a companion album to Sea Change, and I'm inclined to agree. Definitely worth checking out if you like his similar albums!
Gave Morning Phase a listen yesterday and boy, did I enjoy it! Thanks for bringing it to my attention!!!!

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
Day 3: Ghost Reveries by Opeth

ob_2a241c_ghost-reveries.jpg

If you know my music tastes, you knew this one was coming. Opeth are my favorite band and Ghost Reveries is my favorite album by them. A perfectly constructed album that is gripping from start to finish. An absolute masterclass in heavy music. I particularly like how they balance the soft, Gothic passages which give way to the heavy moments to come rip-roaring through with the impact of an out-of-control MAC truck. And the haunting story told through an unreliable narrator using harsh vocals to represent his demonic side and cleans for the human side, just wonderful.
A must for any fan of progressive or heavy music!

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
Day 4: Mr. Bungle by Mr. Bungle
MrBungle-MrBungle.jpg

While perusing a record store in the mall one day during my teenage years the cover of this album caught my eye. I don't know why. Gave the song titles a look and they made me chuckle, so I spent my hard earned $15 on it. When I sat down to listen to it nothing could have ever prepared me for the batshit insanity that I was unleashing upon my ears. To say it left an impression on me would be an understatement. It was certainly my first foray into the world of experimental music.

Some time later I learned Mr. Bungle was headed by Mike Patton (of Faith no More fame) and have been a huge fan of his since. Anyhoo, this album is offensive to all possible senses imaginable and should not be heard by anyone, but seriously, you gotta listen to this madness!!!

Fun nostalgia memory: I had procrastinated an English assignment where we had to write a poem. On the school bus I just plagiarized the lyrics to the song 'Carosel' (the least lyrically offensive song on the record) and turned it in. Mr. Zinno liked it so much he published it in the annual school writing digest. Never owned up to that one... Oops.....
Also, not that anyone cares, a good buddy of mine had randomly stumbled upon the graphic novel at a flea market where all the artwork for the album had came from. It's called 'A Cotton-Candy Autopsy'.

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
Day 5: The Wild, The Innocent, & The E Street Shuffle by Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band
TheWildTheInnocent.jpg

While growing up in NJ I was rather lukewarm towards Bruce. I enjoyed his songs enough when they came on the radio but never actively listened to them. But, chalk it up to nostalgia or homesickness, after I began my pilgrimage away from the Armpit of America I started appreciating his music much more. Especially when he's writing, performing, and recording with The E Street Band. They just add so much energy to an already electrifying Bruce.

E Street Shuffle is my favorite Bruce record as it's just a damn fun listen from start to finish. And being able to pinpoint and recall memories from many of the locations in his songs is something pretty cool.

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
Day 6: In Absentia by Porcupine Tree
81yM69V0puL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Fortunately for you all, I don't have much to say about this record other than I really like it a whole bunch. Catchy and accessible prog rock of the highest order. The song 'Trains' is easily one of my all-time favorite songs. Such a warming, nostalgic tune.

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
Day 7: The Assassination of Julius Ceasar by Ulver
ulver-The-Assassination-of-Julius-Caesar-2017.jpg

A synth-pop album about Rome, sure! Krystoffer Rygg's vocals are so buttery smooth and sexy! The grooves, beats, and arrangements are infectious. Everything about this record is outstanding.

Ulver is one of the most diverse, polarizing, and interesting bands in modern music and TAoJC is possibly their best and most accessible work. A must! (I also highly recommend the long-titled and long-running 'Themes from William Blake's The Marriage of Heaven and Hell' but that one is dense as all hell and not as accessible as TAoJC).

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
Day 8: In Contact by Caligula's Horse
caligulas-horse-in-contact-2017.jpg

A simply beautiful modern prog rock album brimming with uplifting, emotionally-charged songs. Engaging from start to finish, I simply can not get enough of In Contact. 'Songs for No One' is easily in my top tier of all-time favorite songs.

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
Day 9: Seventh Son of a Seventh Son by Iron Maiden
Iron_Maiden_-_Seventh_Son_Of_A_Seventh_Son.jpg

It's not like I have a rather large tattoo of this albums artwork or nothin'

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
Day 10: Empath by Devin Townsend
image.jpg

Last one!
:)
I wanted to include a Devin Townsend album on this list since his music is something I really connect with, but with his insane fecundity and each record being great, picking one was quite difficult. So, in the end my deciding factor was, 'Which album has a Kittie Orchestra?'

Empath is a batshit insane album filled with many feel-good, uplifting songs. It's also one of the most unique albums I've ever heard in my life. Want to try something different, start here

Xeo

May 10, 2020
I did something similar to this last year on Facebook as well. I'm regularly there because some of my friends are most easily accessed via the place.

Reactions: RiffRaff

Xeo

May 10, 2020
Would enjoy to see your picks :)
In my case it was the top 20 albums to have some major influence or importance to you throughout your life or otherwise impacted it.

My list went like this. (In no particular order, mind you.)

1: Sonata Arctica: Ecliptica
2: Pyramaze: Melancholy Beast
3: Cradle of Filth: Damnation and A Day (I've mentioned a few times why this one was important, lol.)
4: Testament: Practice What You Preach
5: Amon Amarth: With Oden On Our Side
6: Threshold: March of Progress
7: Warbringer: War Without End
8: Falconer: Falconer (Self Titled)
9: Cauldron: In Ruin
10: At the Gates: Slaughter of the Soul
11: Dream Theater: Images and Words
12: Kalmah: They Will Return
13: Insomnium: Above the Weeping World
14: Nevermore: Dead Heart In a Dead World
15: Fight: War of Words