Suggestions to break the cycle!

Heat

May 10, 2020
Gentlemen, i need some suggestions for a Zelda game. In the past i've tried several times to play different entries of the franchise, but none of them has stuck with me for more than an hour, except for Oracle of Seasons. But ive decided that if im going to call it quits and say that i dont like the Zelda franchise, i have to at least play and finish ONE game. So, im open to suggestions, especially if there is some justification for it.

I can play almost all of them, except the Gamecube, Wii / WiiU and Switch ones. Thanks!!!

D-Volt

Haruspex/Menkhu
May 10, 2020
Unfortunate, because I believe Windwaker is the best overall Zelda in the series and it's not really even close.

If you can't play either the Gamecube or WiiU versions then I'd say just give up. You'll always be missing out on the best.

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
Sorry to hear. Zelda is easily my favorite franchise.
Do you understand what turns you off about the games? What you don't find engaging?
For what I consider 'essential' Zelda games that should be played by all: A Link to the Past (best 2d Zelda), Wind Waker (Best and most accessible old school 3d Zelda, Wii U version is the best), and Breath of the Wild (Best Zelda. That thicc ass!!!)

Not only because it's the only one you'd be able to play with the hardware you have, I suggest giving A Link to the Past another go. Your engagement in Oracle of Seasons makes me think you'd prefer a 2d Zelda. It also contains lots of iconic imagery and music; much has become staple in the series.

Heat

May 10, 2020
Do you understand what turns you off about the games? What you don't find engaging?

That's a hard question... I guess its different everytime. First thing, i dont have any kind of nostalgia towards Zelda, i never played them or even see them IRL as a kid, and i think the first one i played one was Oracle of Seasons in like the year 2000. So, thats the one that i played the most... but i had to give back the Gameboy a friend lend me and never touched it again.

I think i dont like is the world and character design?? like, enemies and NPCs are kinda ugly and weird and the over world its always some kind of green world with little towns and forests. I guess thats the point since every game seems to be a retell of the first one. The combat is alright, and so its the gameplay (for the most part, i remeber trying one of the DS games and it was some touch controlled shenanigans that turn me off instantly). But its hard to point something and say "Thats the thing i dont like!".

I may sound like im nitpicking, but those are my honest thoughts. Dont be mad :(

Reactions: RiffRaff

Heat

May 10, 2020
Unfortunate, because I believe Windwaker is the best overall Zelda in the series and it's not really even close.

If you can't play either the Gamecube or WiiU versions then I'd say just give up. You'll always be missing out on the best.

:(

Roager

Rogue Ogre
May 11, 2020
If you're only gonna play one Zelda game, it should probably be either Link to the Past or Ocarina of Time. Not because they're the best Zeldas necessarily, but because they're the most Zelda-y Zeldas. Link's Awakening might be worth trying, since all the gameboy games (Awakening, Oracle, other Oracle) play basically the same. I also just really like Link's Awakening.

I have some complaints about Minish Cap, but it's a very pretty game. Majora's Mask is really unique, but I feel like it's better if played after Ocarina. The re-used assets enhance the surreal weirdness.

I think if I had to pick only one to suggest, it's Ocarina. It's the single most iconic game in the series. 3DS version if possible.

Turbokill

May 12, 2020
Link to the Past is a damn masterpiece. I played that back then as much as many people played Skyrim. It's aged like fine wine.

If you don't like that, I'll restrain myself from questioning whether or not you even like video games, but it would be safe to say you don't like Zelda games.

Reactions: RiffRaff and Heat

Turbokill

May 12, 2020
If you're only gonna play one Zelda game, it should probably be either Link to the Past or Ocarina of Time. Not because they're the best Zeldas necessarily, but because they're the most Zelda-y Zeldas. Link's Awakening might be worth trying, since all the gameboy games (Awakening, Oracle, other Oracle) play basically the same. I also just really like Link's Awakening.

I have some complaints about Minish Cap, but it's a very pretty game. Majora's Mask is really unique, but I feel like it's better if played after Ocarina. The re-used assets enhance the surreal weirdness.

I think if I had to pick only one to suggest, it's Ocarina. It's the single most iconic game in the series. 3DS version if possible.

I loved Minish Cap, but kind of hate how often I get lost in the overworld. Nothing kills me more than spending more than 30 minutes wondering, "Where the hell do I go next?"

Heat

May 10, 2020
Link to the Past is a damn masterpiece. I played that back then as much as many people played Skyrim. It's aged like fine wine.

If you don't like that, I'll restrain myself from questioning whether or not you even like video games, but it would be safe to say you don't like Zelda games.

Hmm... this has nothing to do with Zelda, but a couple of years ago a friend convinced me to watch Terminator 2, saying it was a masterpiece and the best action movie ever, and yeah, it was entertaining, but all i could see were the scenes parodied in other movies/tv shows/commercials and i laughed every time it happened! In the end i say to him that it was the funniest movie ive ever seen, and he was pretty mad.

So, can you tell me why you consider it a masterpiece? i literally have never played the game for more than a couple of minutes, so i have no idea.

Sam

Village Idiot
May 17, 2020
It’s funny, I do love Zelda but have a disinterest (almost dislike) towards the dungeons, arguably the draw for a lot of people. I don’t much care for that sort of puzzling.
What I do love about Zelda is the atmosphere and world, the characters and creatures. That in mind, Majora’s Mask is one of my favorite games of all time.
Now, I sort of hate the dungeons. Maybe! I barely remember them. But what I do remember is spending so much time roaming Clock Town, taking in the villagers and their stories, the music, and the atmosphere, both the strange and ominous. It’s really an incredibly unique world, and for me wholly engrossing.
Also a big fan of Minish Cap, which similarly has a wonderful story and style. I always say it’s Zelda x Pikmin!

Reactions: RiffRaff and Heat

Heat

May 10, 2020
I thought this was going to be a support group to help you stop the cycle of lust, release, shame, and regret brought about by compulsive masturbation. Got to admit, I'm kind of disappointed.

im already working on that, my help group even provided me with a "support system" to replace my broken, unusable left arm:

Boxman214

World's Okayest Chef
May 10, 2020
If you want 2D, then easily Link's Awakening. For 3D, I might have said Wind Waker, but no Gamecube. So probably Ocarina of Time.

I thought about Twilight Princess. In mamy respects, it's a better game than Ocarina (though I don't love it more). But it has a problem of a dreadfully slow opening. The first 3 or 4 hours are not very fun. Once you get past that, you're golden.

jtotal

Jun 9, 2020
Columbia, MO
Gentlemen, i need some suggestions for a Zelda game. In the past i've tried several times to play different entries of the franchise, but none of them has stuck with me for more than an hour, except for Oracle of Seasons. But ive decided that if im going to call it quits and say that i dont like the Zelda franchise, i have to at least play and finish ONE game. So, im open to suggestions, especially if there is some justification for it.

I can play almost all of them, except the Gamecube, Wii / WiiU and Switch ones. Thanks!!!
Out of all of the Zelda games out there, Oracle of Seasons/Time seem to have alluded me.

I'd honestly suggest Majoras Mask, just because it's just so different.

Heat

May 10, 2020
Alright fellows, thanks for the suggestions. Im going with A Link to the Past, SNES version. Lets see if i can finally develop a taste for The Legend of Zelda... or if i will stop trying to like it.