The anime queue: past and current

Striderhoang

Naruto refugee
Staff member
Robot
Apr 15, 2020
SoCal
What’re you guys watching? Watching anything new and current? Checking out something older from the past?

I just finished Brand New Animal. I really liked it. Great Trigger as I’d hoped, especially after Darling in the Franxxx in my recent memory. I saw that illicitly I guess, but I’m looking forward to Dorohedoro on Netflix in another week or so. I need to see what Noi is all about.

I have Outlaw Star on my back burner to revisit.

Heat

May 10, 2020
it was not for everyone, that's for sure. But i enjoyed it a lot.

Aside that, i havent watched an anime in a long time, maybe the last one i watched was Senko-san. Yeah, i mostly watch only moe shit.

pulse

May 17, 2020
I am working on Steins;Gate, finally, finally coming to the end, well behind the times per usual. Good stuff though, but that means having to find something else soon, meh

zatoseyes

May 11, 2020
I watched Beastars on Netflix not very long ago. I don't watch a tonne of anime, but it was really good. There's a lot more going on under the surface that I think warrants a look by most.

I'm also making my way through Jojo part 5. It's been a slog compared to the parts that came before it, but I think things are finally picking up now that I'm on like episode 21 or w/e.

Heat

May 10, 2020
i have a friend who's bugging me a lot to watch Beastars, but i dont watch shows about antropomorphic animals... the fanbase is WEIRD.

Reactions: zatoseyes

D-Volt

Haruspex/Menkhu
May 10, 2020
This season of anime is pretty weak (partially due to heavy hitters like Re:Zero Season 2 being delayed to July by the coronavirus), but My Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom! has been surprisingly funny. I did not expect to enjoy another isekai, but I love the main character's odd obsession with farming. Also the show is subtly transforming itself into a reverse harem anime, which I'll admit is intriguing enough to keep me watching. Truth be told it's not something we get very often, which is strange considering the popularity of the harem/romcom anime.

I recently shot through all 12 episodes of Gamers! since it's been sitting in my backlog since 2017. It's genuinely funny and with an excellent dub (which I preferred since the dub injected a lot more gamer lingo and casual slang into the script to give it more high schooler edge). I think both relationships in the series are...very unhealthy? But the way the show deftly weaves a complicated love pentagon (mostly built out of layers of misunderstanding) in 6 episodes and
completely destroys it with a satisfying and hilarious payoff in episode 6
is really commendable. Unfortunately, the latter 6 episodes can't live up to the shenanigans of the first 6, but it ends decent enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: AtomicBanana

D-Volt

Haruspex/Menkhu
May 10, 2020
What’re you guys watching? Watching anything new and current? Checking out something older from the past?

I just finished Brand New Animal. I really liked it. Great Trigger as I’d hoped, especially after Darling in the Franxxx in my recent memory. I saw that illicitly I guess, but I’m looking forward to Dorohedoro on Netflix in another week or so. I need to see what Noi is all about.

I have Outlaw Star on my back burner to revisit.

Dorohedoro is a treat. Loved every minute of it. One of the strangest series I've ever watched, but in the best kind of way. Happy to say it does the manga justice and then some. 3D anime has never looked so good...or been so weird.

zatoseyes

May 11, 2020
i have a friend who's bugging me a lot to watch Beastars, but i dont watch shows about antropomorphic animals... the fanbase is WEIRD.

If that sort of thing makes you uncomfortable, then it's fine. I think the fanbase isn't much weirder than most though. Just that the weirder segments of it are the ones that get the spotlight. In Beastars that angle is used as a way to define the world and I enjoy it when anthropomorphic animal characters are used that way. In my eyes that's the difference between a good story and just being furry for furry's sake.

At it's core it's a high-school romance/drama anime, so if you like that kind of thing maybe watch it? You can view it in secret. It probably won't awaken something in you.

Probably.

May 10, 2020
I’ve actually found myself watching a bit anime now again, which is new for me.

Haikyuu - Turns out sports are great!

I’ve binged all of Haikyuu until more episodes come out later this summer. It is such a immensely well crafted show that manages to frame a very grounded story of friendship between a bunch of young guys through the sport of Volleyball. It feels like watching a proper match too, like you are in their shoes feeling the tense weight of satisfaction in landing a score, and the excitement and dread that your favorite team is gonna lose or win. The show doesn’t write their characters in such a way that they feel unnaturally gifted at the sport, they are genuinely into it and even those who aren’t necessarily into it for the thrill of the sport usually has a well written story to justify it. There is a lot of good character development that serves to make the matches more exciting as the main characters starts getting good at the game.
I also got the impression that the author has a kit if respect for the sport, where the characters goes into the finer details of the sport’s complexities, it really helps the immersion that you are watching actual volley ball unfolding. It never gets old hearing one of the characters shout “Chance ball” or “Nice serve!”.
Also dat animation, sooooo good

In Catherine Love is Over but in Kaguya-sama Love is War
69DA839D-59E0-451C-BE7C-1DA530DBDAFD.gif

I’ve also been watching Kaguya-sama: Love is War, both season 1 and still ongoing season 2, which is the kind of anime I never expected I would ever watch. I suppose I’ve watched maybe one romance based anime before, but they usually aren’t for me as when it comes to romance I prefer to have it play as a fun stepping stone for a larger story instead of it being framed around it. I do like it when shows do some fun things with established genres, and Love is War feels like a fun bit out of Gintama like that bit where the main characters and antagonists are all stuck on the toilet and it ensues into mental warfare and the characters trying to tactically outsmart one another for some toilet. It’s just brilliant, and that is what Love is War is. It’s two smart kids on the student council of the average anime high school, who are smitten with each other but as anime would have it they simply can’t be upfront with their feelings which leads to overly dramatic, overly animated, mental mind games where both parties tries to make each other break into confessing their love. It’s funny and cute, worth a watch!

Anime Samurais and Cowboys in a crazy car race across America what more do you want?
9AB85F29-F6BE-409D-8161-1B5B4B6EA4CC.jpeg

So there aren’t that many episodes of this show yet for me to get a proper angle on it, but from the 3 episodes that have been released so far since COVID-19 put a damper on the production I’d say we are in for something special. An eccentric kid inventor “because of course he’s a kid” with equally crazy anime hair, unwillingly brings his old competent Samurai mentor
with a streak of cowardice, from Meiji Restored Japan on a one way trip to 19th century industrialized West Coast America on his personal designed steamboat in his search for the unknown. The vastly superior tech of the local people of industrialized Los Angeles, and the rather suspect crazy designed cars (even for this time period) that look like something out of Mad Max, inspires the emotionally dead inventor to participate in Trans America, a continental race from Los Angeles to New York.
The premise itself is probably the biggest selling point so far, the aforementioned main character isn’t exactly all that exciting as much as his Samurai co host who despite his cowardice is incredibly skilled in combat, let alone all the interesting side characters. If the show keeps up the quality from the first 3 episodes I think this could be a possible sleeper hit.

Just Aaron

May 19, 2020
I`m still finishing up Shigurui: Death Frenzy. (Sorry if this image is to large or small. I don`t know what I`m doing.)
517v3C5zSoL._SX940_.jpg

Last edited:

TheBlondeBass

No longer virtual
Robot
May 10, 2020
Québec
Asobi Asobase's a good time! Love the contast between the OP and the ED in that one.

Personally haven't really watched anime in the past months but I'm sure I'll fall down anime hell again before long.

dmanatunga

May 19, 2020
Ohh, men of culture I see.

So, I am an anime addict, and I can give a rundown of what I have watched this season so far (some out of season). Though some of the stuff has been having issues because of COVID-19 delays.

Netflix
Ghost in the Shell: SAC_2045 - The animation is...words can't describe it at some points. I did a qpost that has a clip. But here is the thing, I found the story genuinely interesting and I am looking forward to see where it goes in the 2nd season. It has definitely re-awakened my cyberpunk itch, though I need to rejuvenate on more of the classic, 80s/90s style of anime.

Drifting Dragons - Another CG animation. Likeable cast, but you have to get around the fact that it is basically a giant allegory to Whale Hunting. So for me, it was hard to look at what the cast was doing as something good and something I should be rooting for.

Crunchyroll
Extra Olympia Kyklos - I don't even know how to describe this. It is definitely the weirdest thing I have watched in awhile, but I've found it endearing and kinda hilarious. Plus, it is only 5 minutes, so easy to just give it a shot. Minus that seems production delays have started cause of COVID-19.

My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom! - Someone else mentioned this, but I second it as a fun watch. It is basically a cute, fluffy romance isekai, with a really likable MC.

Tower of God - This is based off a Korean Webtoon I love, so I am biased here. The animation quality will seem weird, and a little subpar, but it is actually pretty reflective of the art in the Webtoon (the art in webtoon is rough in the beginning, but got better as the artist improved). I find the story pretty interesting, but the beginning has a very shounen feel. Watch if you have enjoyed exam arcs in shounen shows like Naruto, My Hero Academia, Hunter x Hunter.

The 8th son? Are you kidding me? - Isekai junk. Highly recommend *not* watching unless you need an anime fix.

Ascendance of a Bookworm - Rare Isekai with female MC. This one is hit/miss, and I would expect some people to find it really boring, while others love it. It is about a girl who loves books and ends up in world that is basically in Medieval times and books are a premium.

Funimation
Kakushigoto - Comedic anime of a manga author of a semi-popular pervy/rauncy manga, who is trying to hide the fact from his 10 year old daughter. The whole thing is super cute and sweet. I also think it the animation is pretty good.

Kaguya-Sama Love is War - Seconding someone else's recommendation. This is based off a manga I love, so biased against, but the whole thing is a hilarious romantic comedy, though more on the comedy aspect. The animation is also top notch.

Hulu
Arte - About a girl who wants to be a renaissance artist. As normal girl against society tropes. Nothing really special about it yet.

Striderhoang

Naruto refugee
Staff member
Robot
Apr 15, 2020
SoCal
Tower of God must what it’s like to watch Hunter x Hunter before reading the manga. It’s setting up so much without a whole lot feeling like it’s happening

Etosi

May 11, 2020
I started watching that Hot Topic anime My Hero Academia. Waiting for something evil to happen. Frog girl seems cute. I dunno shonen Jump style shows have never been my thing. It’s fine so far.

Striderhoang

Naruto refugee
Staff member
Robot
Apr 15, 2020
SoCal
Apparently Jujutsu Taisen is getting an anime and I just started reading it off the Shounen Jump app. It’s certainly shounen but it’s weird given the context for power level Is curses so every description makes everyone sound pretty sinister.

DeScruff

The Giant Rat That Makes All of the Rules
May 11, 2020
The Internet!
So far my watch list for this season is:

Anime1.png

My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom!: - Ever play Long live the Queen? or Princess Maker? ... Or any VN game where you play the girl?
Imagine being Isekaied into that game. Except instead of the hero, your the villain. The one that no matter what ending always gets screwed over.
Thats this anime! Its cute fun.

It also has Tetsuya Kakihara voicing the blonde guy on the left. I only note this because Im playing Trails from Zero atm where he voices the main character Lloyd Bannings, AND I CAN'T STOP HEARING IT!

Sing "Yesterday" for me: - *snooty voice* " I rate it 1/10, it does not feature any Beatles songs." - Na its pretty alright as a romance anime.
Haru Nonaka is by far best girl. Saying otherwise means you have very boring taste. I mean how could you not go for the girl with a CROW!

Tower of God: Yeah this is my anime of the season so far. It is a pretty normal premise, of a bunch of contestants going for some sorta goal that may or may not involve killing eachother. The world building is interesting I am curious exactly what the world is like outside of this tower/whatever they are in. Not to mention just the art looks unique. Its really eye catching.

Ascendance of a Bookworm:
Okay teeechnically this is a continuing series that started airing in October. Its cute. Its an Isekai. The faces look weird at times.
I do like the details of... Paper is expensive in an early european medieval era and most of a populace was illiterate. WARNING: After watching this you WILL notice in other Fantasy shows the over use of paper, and books.
It does kinda fall into the whole "Iseakied MC is super great at everything because they are from a future society!" pitfall... Which... Well lets face it most of us probably wouldn't know what to do with half the knowledge we have to improve living conditions in the past, and there are actual reasons why it took years for things that we consider simple to actually get invented.
But hey! At least the protagonist isn't some generic sallaryman dude who is uber powerful because of course he is, and he gets a harem of girls unlike-

My Anime Skip list
armor.png

The 8th son? Are you kidding me?: It only takes 1 minute to tell what kinda show this is gonna be. But hey I will give the show credit on one thing: The end of episode two makes for a good drop out point, where you can just convince yourself you just watched a fairly bland 40 minute anime OVA.
I love it when shows make it easy to drop out early ;D

Reactions: AtomicBanana

dmanatunga

May 19, 2020
Apparently Jujutsu Taisen is getting an anime and I just started reading it off the Shounen Jump app. It’s certainly shounen but it’s weird given the context for power level Is curses so every description makes everyone sound pretty sinister.

If you are digging the supernatural aspects of Jujutsu Kaisen, you should check out Chainsaw Man (should also be available in Shounen Jump app). It has same sort of supernatural angle, but everything is bonkers. It is from the same author of another crazy manga called Fire Punch. If there is one thing I have to give the author credit for is they have some truly crazy ideas.

Striderhoang

Naruto refugee
Staff member
Robot
Apr 15, 2020
SoCal
If you are digging the supernatural aspects of Jujutsu Kaisen, you should check out Chainsaw Man (should also be available in Shounen Jump app). It has same sort of supernatural angle, but everything is bonkers. It is from the same author of another crazy manga called Fire Punch. If there is one thing I have to give the author credit for is they have some truly crazy ideas.
Chainsaw Man also did Fire Punch? No wonder I’m getting a sort of heroically hopeless struggle vibe from them.