The Bar Part Zed: I Couldn't Come Up with a Better Name

May 14, 2020
Also for music check out Steam Powered Giraffes music not a huge music guy but they got some great fun music all on Spotify too loved the Fire Fire song.

JuIc3

Jul 5, 2020
Kansas City
Yep Red Fraction Armegedon. Loved Red Fraction Guerilla. Tried Armegedon knww it waa going to be bad and it just felt even more dissapointing to play. I spent like 12 hours beating it and I swear I honestly thought I just had spent 25 hours on the game shouldn't have waisted time trying to go through it

Exactly my point.

I went ahead and picked up Far Cry 3, and in my head I was thinking it would be fun, have a cool villain, good FPS, etc.

Then I actually dive in... and the whole thing underwhelms. I’ve never been fond of the gun play in Far Cry, and hunting animals can be super tedious. Oh, and radio towers.

But, I am liking Vaas and the island is beautiful.

Tarvu

Jun 21, 2020
www.destructoid.com
I didn't even play it (RF:A) for that long. 1.2 hours according to Steam and I appear to have hidden it in my Library.

I presumably got it free.

Steam is so stupid with scheduling updates. It's Tuesday, but it thinks 3AM on Saturday is a good time to update Destiny 2 (there is never a good time). I would expect some algorithm to come up with a good time but I don't exactly leave my PC on all night.

May 14, 2020
Exactly my point.

I went ahead and picked up Far Cry 3, and in my head I was thinking it would be fun, have a cool villain, good FPS, etc.

Then I actually dive in... and the whole thing underwhelms. I’ve never been fond of the gun play in Far Cry, and hunting animals can be super tedious. Oh, and radio towers.

But, I am liking Vaas and the island is beautiful.
I wasn't even expecting a good story or characters or level design or missions just was expecting some simple dumb fun but a bit repetive but the game even let down with that

Reactions: JuIc3

JuIc3

Jul 5, 2020
Kansas City
I didn't even play it (RF:A) for that long. 1.2 hours according to Steam and I appear to have hidden it in my Library.

I presumably got it free.

Steam is so stupid with scheduling updates. It's Tuesday, but it thinks 3AM on Saturday is a good time to update Destiny 2 (there is never a good time). I would expect some algorithm to come up with a good time but I don't exactly leave my PC on all night.

Do you still play Destiny 2? Is it pretty active still? I appreciate that Bungie is forgoing a new entry to expand on the universe.

Tarvu

Jun 21, 2020
www.destructoid.com
Hah, no. I have it installed because I stupidly bought the expansion when it released on Steam and quickly realised I was sick to death of it. My most recent gaming purchase which I regret.

I still have friends playing it, I reckon it's doing fine.

No wait it is doing fucking spectacularly.

Sandbox.jpg

Top ten on Steam with nothing particularly special happening, damn.

I I appreciate their efforts but ultimately it's not a game for me. Their shooter mechanics are still so good, I just wish they would make a new Marathon game. They could destroy Halo with it.

JuIc3

Jul 5, 2020
Kansas City
A new Marathon game would be amazing, especially with modern technology. I feel like the opportunity is right there, yet they just won’t bite.

I don’t mind Destiny, but I prefer a shooter that’s a bit more focused. Bungie really gets the mechanics down. Now 343...

meanderbot

May 11, 2020
It's wild going to a children's hospital for surgery. My wife gets all sorts of emails and brochures about "Your Child's Safety". Wondering whether or not they knew I was an adult when they all signed a get well card. Going for a pre-surgery test and getting a momentary "What is this grown ass man doing alone at a Children's Hospital" before remembering that they occasionally treat adults. It's good for a laugh.

Cygnus Rush 961

Apex Hitter and Tire Eater
Jun 9, 2020
Tacoma, WA
You guys ever play a game, knowing exactly what you’re getting into, then feel disappointed when you actually get into it? I feel like this has happened to me a lot lately, especially with FPS.

Need For Speed: The Run and Need For Speed: Most Wanted (2012).

Initially I was excited for The Run as doing a higher stakes version of a Cannonball Run was appealing to me but when I fully sank my teeth into it I felt that it fell quite a bit short. The controls and physics felt rather stiff, the A.I. opponents had a tendency to alternate between "Slow as a sleeping Hutt" or "Aggressive as a Soccer-mom" putting you into the nearest object (traffic car, guardrails, off a cliff), plus a lack of additional single and multiplayer content once the main campaign is completed.

For Most Wanted (2012) I was hoping for a newer take on the original Most Wanted's story that included newer cars but what I got instead was "Burnout: Paradise" but with licensed cars which was okay though it had some rather odd aspects, it had most of the cars available right out of the gate but I had to find each one, the color of said cars could be changed at the Repair Shops during single player mode but it could be done in a menu during multiplayer. After I completed the main game and beat all the DLC activities it felt rather hollow compared to the fun I had with previous games in the Need For Speed series (excluding The Run) and was hoping that the next game (Rivals) would be more satisfying, little did I know that said next game would be the one that sent me to greener pastures after it's technical failings. (Assetto Corsa, Project CARS 1&2, Forza Horizon 3&4 being the greener pastures.)

Last edited:

JuIc3

Jul 5, 2020
Kansas City
It's wild going to a children's hospital for surgery. My wife gets all sorts of emails and brochures about "Your Child's Safety". Wondering whether or not they knew I was an adult when they all signed a get well card. Going for a pre-surgery test and getting a momentary "What is this grown ass man doing alone at a Children's Hospital" before remembering that they occasionally treat adults. It's good for a laugh.

I hope everything went well. My oldest brother loved working at a children’s hospital. At least you didn’t come out of it with clowns dancing around you.

@Cygnus Rush 961 I bought a new Xbox 360 (yes, not cheap) and it came with a download code for Forza Horizon 2. I should sit down and give it a play, though most people say the first one is better.

Last edited:

Cygnus Rush 961

Jun 9, 2020
Tacoma, WA
@Cygnus Rush 961 I bought a new Xbox 360 (yes, not cheap) and it came with a download code for Forza Horizon 2. I should sit down and give it a play, though most people say the first one is better.

The first one on the 360 is better than the second one on the 360 as the second one that was ported to the 360 came with some compromises in order to get it to run properly while the first one didn't.

JuIc3

Jul 5, 2020
Kansas City
Long ago on the adult swim message boards, there was this wise older member that everyone loved visiting with.

Anyway, she loved talking about kids shows, which my teenage self couldn’t comprehend at the time.

Fast forward about 15 years, and now it’s all we regularly watch with our daughter. And you know what? Bluey is the cutest stinking show I’ve watched in a long time.

JuIc3

Jul 5, 2020
Kansas City
I guess I’m just not impressed with Ubisoft. More open world games loaded with tons of side quests. I guess that’s good to keep you busy, but I really wish it wasn’t the same old thing every year.

modern_moron

Gold Standard in Stupidity
Jun 11, 2020
I think some of SUPERHOT's gameplay would work really well for a franchise like Berserk or something Berserk inspired. Have the combat gradually slow down as you build adrenaline from both kills and taking damage.

Also I'd love to see a Hotline Miami x SUPERHOT collaboration.

Just throwing these things out there. Someone make something happen.

Reactions: Turbokill

Turbokill

May 12, 2020
Got The Touryst on Switch from a sale and it is delightful. It's a unique game, so comparison to Mario isn't fair, but it revolves around collecting coins that work almost like stars did in Mario games like Odyssey or 64. They also double as currency for buying things like abilities, items for other side quests, and even tokens for the arcade where there's even an F-Zero-like mini-game in it.

The art is bright and colorful. It's also one of the few games that actually hits a stable 1080p/60 fps on Switch.

I highly recommend this game if you're into 3D platformers with interesting puzzles and Mario Odyssey-like collecting.

Unrelated, but micro-USB is shit. I hope I never buy anything that uses that ever again.

Last edited:

modern_moron

Jun 11, 2020
My copy of Brendon Small's Galaktikon II arrived today. Was pretty stoked for it, because you know. It's Dethklok. It's just Dethklok.

Well, the second disk was damaged, which is a damn shame. I considered getting a refund, but you know what? The disks themselves are insanely pretty. Like. Insanely. Look at this shit! Holy heck!

View attachment 718
View attachment 719
View attachment 720
View attachment 721

They match the blue and purple aesthetic of my flat perfectly, too! So I figured it was a damn shame to just return them. Instead, I ordered in a second copy. And I'm gonna go out and get some frames on Thursday. I gotta go to the shops anyway, so I might as well.

That way, I've got some incredibly pretty decal.
They couldn't even put them in a proper sleeve?!?!

Records that come in just plastic bother me to no end.

JuIc3

Jul 5, 2020
Kansas City
I think you kinda need to treat it like you do with LEGO games or Dynasty Warriors. Only pick up the ones that really interest you, and leave the rest by the wayside. In all honesty.

Yeah, those games tend to be B tier games that are fun for a time sync, not much more. Ghosts of Tsushima, for me, was perfect in giving me a top notch experience without being overwhelming. There’s a lot to take in, but it’s never too much.

In other events, Malika and I found a couple of 2DS XLs at a small town Walmart nearby. Even they have become incredibly rare and hard to find with the pandemic. I forgot just how fun and simple Mario 3D Land is to pick up and play.

Cygnus Rush 961

Jun 9, 2020
Tacoma, WA
Has anyone tried switching phone carriers while maintaining your previous carriers phone number? It's a right pain in the ass trying to get the information needed to allow for said transfer to a competent carrier when the previous carrier is full of shitty customer service representatives that know piss all about helping their customers! Boost Mobile epitomizes the sheer incompetence of CSR's I've encountered that I am surprised that they haven't filed for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy yet! :mad:

modern_moron

Jun 11, 2020
Has anyone tried switching phone carriers while maintaining your previous carriers phone number? It's a right pain in the ass trying to get the information needed to allow for said transfer to a competent carrier when the previous carrier is full of shitty customer service representatives that know piss all about helping their customers! Boost Mobile epitomizes the sheer incompetence of CSR's I've encountered that I am surprised that they haven't filed for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy yet! :mad:
I've had trouble just changing to a new phone or separating to my own account with Verizon.

They make everything this stupid, convoluted process.

I don't even blame customer service entirely. It's not easy to be competent in a company's ins and outs when the company does a shit job just about everywhere.