The Big Spook Thread

bong264

Miniature Enthusiast
May 10, 2020
Colorado
Let's all get into the dour mood with some good old creepy stories :p

This one happened a couple of years ago, maybe 2013? it was around this month actually when my brother went on vacation to mexico, my sister and her kids were in texas, and my mom was dead asleep. It was the middle of the night and I was walking back from the bathroom and I got that feeling i was being watched. not soon after the softest whisper of my name was in my ear. I booked it to room and didnt leave the rest of the night lol. asked my mom in the morning and she says she didnt hear nothing, I still think about that night alot.

What are some of your personal spook stories?

PhilKenSebben

Lord of Loss
Staff member
Robot
Apr 15, 2020
Cali
I work in psych hospitals, which always have ghost stories. Only ever experienced 3 things tho (been doing it since I was 23, am now 39).

1. A toilet flushing in the middle of the night. Oooooh Mike. Freaky. Well before you roll your eyes, this toilet was about 30yrs old. So no, it didn't flush by itself. Oh, and the room was empty. The door to that room would randomly slam too. Only when empty. 4 patients successfully killed themselves in that room too.

2. When patients get too violent, or just need to be alone, we have quiet rooms. Rooms we can lock from the outside. When I worked at state, there was one where there was always knocking from inside. You'd open the door and turn the lights on, but nothing was there. Close the door and the knocking would start again. Shit gave me the willys. Never could figure out any reason it happened, other than a damn spirit.

3. Worked nights at one place where the top floor had been shut down, due to lack of funding. We still had to go up there as supplies were stored up there. Place had been around 50 years and had seen a lot of horrible shit and death. I was working one night with my buddy, and one nurse. Only way up was a single elevator. I roll up to grab some shit. Turn the hallway lights on, they immediately start flickering. No biggie. I start grabbing shit, then from the end of the hallway, something starts whistling "Oh when the saints". I freeze. I call out for whoever to knock it off and come out. I'm thinking its a hobo who somehow got up there or broke in from the roof. I figure fuck this, I need backup. Go downstairs and grab my buddy. We ride up, and arm ourselves with some hammers (we don't get weapons at these jobs), and start clearing rooms. Wasnt a fucking thing anywhere. All windows were intact, roof access still locked. He starts giving me shit, all the fucking lights went out. Not sure which of us was the biggest bitch at that point, but we ran to the elevator and refused to go up there for weeks.

Xeo

May 10, 2020
I posted a lengthy blog post about growing up in a reportedly haunted house about 2 years ago, I'll link that!

Xeo's True Ghost Story!

I've also worked in three pretty notoriously haunted buildings throughout my life. (I live in a small down known for having some old ass, haunted sites around it. Complete with a mostly haunted historical downtown.) Including an old office/ex-retail building. That place was actually probably the least famously haunted out of the bunch, but I overall experienced the most strange stuff there. But then again it's the only one I also ever worked at alone overnight, too.

It featured a lower floor ruined by flooding that was just a graveyard of old rusted out and decaying office furniture and fixtures. It looked like a full blown office in some of the bigger rooms still, with computers, desks, furniture, clocks on the walls, etc. still there. Just all fucked up, water damaged, rusted, and decaying. So kind of like Silent Hill, really. Despite it being abandoned, I did security there, and was still required to pop in there sometimes to check on things. Though at the site it was widely recognized as an unwritten rule by the veterans there to just ignore it and never set foot on that level anyway. If a hobo somehow got down there, fuck him, let him. There was pretty much nightly noises coming from down there. Usually faint, but sometimes some loud metallic crashing too, that sounded like filing cabinets being knocked over or something. And it very well COULD have been some homeless down there.

We'd get false triggers from the motion detectors in the hallways down there and in the stairwells leading up from there at least a few times a week. Twice I actually heard hurrying footsteps clomping up the uppermost stairway from that direction toward our office from the back stairs. That actually fucked me up. Two of the night crew vets wouldn't even deal with it beyond just not going down there on their shift. The noises would start and they'd just go out to the patrol vehicle and cruise around the property for a few hours or go to our off-site building to hang out there for most of the night. It didn't bother me that bad most times, but the two instances with the footsteps had me leaving for the off-site building, particularly the second time it happened. Where the footsteps thudded up the stairs in what sounded like some REALLY heavy boots, stopped, walked back down the stairs to the first landing, stopped, then walked halfway back up, stopped again, and finally finished the rest of the way up and then following up with a loud ass racket. That pretty much MADE me check it out, because I honestly thought someone was down there. I had the local police number up, ready to make the call, but went to check it out through the wire-framed window. Nothing was there but I could see something gray at the first curve of the stairs. It looked plastic.

I opened the door with my flashlight out and saw the plastic thing was an empty 10 gallon bucket. Something had knocked it down the first flight of stairs and that was the loud racket I had heard. That was enough for me. I closed up that door, locked it, grabbed my radio and was out the door in the vehicle heading to the off-site building, lol.

That off-site building itself had a lot of strange noises too, but it was found every time to be local wildlife from the woods that surrounded the back of the property. Usually deer and raccoons. Sometimes stray dogs and cats too though, and the occasionally pack of coyotes. The raccoons there liked to get into the dumpster around the side of the building and throw things out of it while scavenging, which would sometimes slap up against the side wall of the building. And the first time that happened it gave me a good startle until I looked out a window and saw three of the little shits digging in the trash and tossing stuff.

I've got some mostly more tame stuff from the other places too, if anyone is interested.

Last edited:

Xeo

May 10, 2020
I work in psych hospitals, which always have ghost stories. Only ever experienced 3 things tho (been doing it since I was 23, am now 39).

1. A toilet flushing in the middle of the night. Oooooh Mike. Freaky. Well before you roll your eyes, this toilet was about 30yrs old. So no, it didn't flush by itself. Oh, and the room was empty. The door to that room would randomly slam too. Only when empty. 4 patients successfully killed themselves in that room too.

2. When patients get too violent, or just need to be alone, we have quiet rooms. Rooms we can lock from the outside. When I worked at state, there was one where there was always knocking from inside. You'd open the door and turn the lights on, but nothing was there. Close the door and the knocking would start again. Shit gave me the willys. Never could figure out any reason it happened, other than a damn spirit.

3. Worked nights at one place where the top floor had been shut down, due to lack of funding. We still had to go up there as supplies were stored up there. Place had been around 50 years and had seen a lot of horrible shit and death. I was working one night with my buddy, and one nurse. Only way up was a single elevator. I roll up to grab some shit. Turn the hallway lights on, they immediately start flickering. No biggie. I start grabbing shit, then from the end of the hallway, something starts whistling "Oh when the saints". I freeze. I call out for whoever to knock it off and come out. I'm thinking its a hobo who somehow got up there or broke in from the roof. I figure fuck this, I need backup. Go downstairs and grab my buddy. We ride up, and arm ourselves with some hammers (we don't get weapons at these jobs), and start clearing rooms. Wasnt a fucking thing anywhere. All windows were intact, roof access still locked. He starts giving me shit, all the fucking lights went out. Not sure which of us was the biggest bitch at that point, but we ran to the elevator and refused to go up there for weeks.
I can deal with some shit, I'm kinda used to it. But once whistling starts where no one is, I'm done.

PhilKenSebben

Lord of Loss
Staff member
Robot
Apr 15, 2020
Cali
I can deal with some shit, I'm kinda used to it. But once whistling starts where no one is, I'm done.

Legit almost shit my pants, and thats before "ghost" even popped into my head. There's no brave for that. Only stupid.