The Great Food Pic Thread

PhilKenSebben

Lord of Loss
Staff member
Robot
Apr 15, 2020
Cali
I would have never thought of doing a tuna casserole with a potato chip crust. That seems like it would be either brilliant or awful with no in-between.

It was fucking delicious (cheddar and & sc Ruffles, btw). Wasnt the only twist. Instead of 2 cans of tuna, I did 4. Only draining two of them. Gave it more tuna flavor, and less dryness. Also instead of 2 or 3 cans of condensed cream of shroom, I did 1 can of that, 1 can cream of chicken, and about 3/4 cup of half and half. Shit was heavenly. Spices used: lemon pepper, garlic and onion powders, and some chili lime.

Reactions: Boxman214

Boxman214

World's Okayest Chef
May 10, 2020
Hot damn that looks nice! And shakshouka, huh? You've got good taste.
Why thank you!

I discovered Shakshuka at a restaurant about a year ago (I had heard of it plenty, but never experienced it). It was AMAZING. After that, I looked up some recipes and I've made it a few times since. So yummy.

This is the recipe I mostly use. Tweaked it a bit last night. I never use the mushrooms. Used shallots instead of onion. Used Anaheim peppers instead of bell peppers. Put a few dashes of Maggi Seasoning. Quite good!

I also don't put eggs directly into the stuff itself. Wife can't eat eggs. So I make eggs separate for me. Then use JUST Egg Substitute for her. Then we just add them separately to our own dishes.

Link to recipe for anyone curious:

Reactions: PhilKenSebben

Nova

Certified Nobody
Jul 1, 2020
www.twitch.tv
Why thank you!

I discovered Shakshuka at a restaurant about a year ago (I had heard of it plenty, but never experienced it). It was AMAZING. After that, I looked up some recipes and I've made it a few times since. So yummy.

This is the recipe I mostly use. Tweaked it a bit last night. I never use the mushrooms. Used shallots instead of onion. Used Anaheim peppers instead of bell peppers. Put a few dashes of Maggi Seasoning. Quite good!

I also don't put eggs directly into the stuff itself. Wife can't eat eggs. So I make eggs separate for me. Then use JUST Egg Substitute for her. Then we just add them separately to our own dishes.

Link to recipe for anyone curious:

I learned of shakshouka when my family dragged me along on a trip to Israel last December and it was available for breakfast at every hotel and restaurant. I bought a large bottle of a seasoning blend made for the stuff from a shop in Tel Aviv and it's been part of my normal meal rotation ever since. So easy to make, too, I love it.

Shakshouka Spices.jpg

I haven't got a clue what I'm going to do when this runs out since it's not like I can pop down to the local bodega and get more, you know? At least for now, it makes for some truly marvelous shakshouka.

Shakshouka.jpg

Reactions: Boxman214

Boxman214

World's Okayest Chef
May 10, 2020
I learned of shakshouka when my family dragged me along on a trip to Israel last December and it was available for breakfast at every hotel and restaurant. I bought a large bottle of a seasoning blend made for the stuff from a shop in Tel Aviv and it's been part of my normal meal rotation ever since. So easy to make, too, I love it.

View attachment 784

I haven't got a clue what I'm going to do when this runs out since it's not like I can pop down to the local bodega and get more, you know? At least for now, it makes for some truly marvelous shakshouka.

View attachment 785
That is AWESOME.

Reactions: Nova

Boxman214

World's Okayest Chef
May 10, 2020
IMG_4327_20200813_214004.jpg

Made Roast Chicken with Mashed Potatoes. Turned out pretty well! It was challenging because my meat thermometer shat the bed yesterday, so I had to eyeball. I'm sure the breast overcooked a little, but it was still juicy! I was quite pleased. Only mistake I made was I oversalted the gravy. It was still good, but really punches you in the face with salt.

I used this method from Adam Rugusea for the chicken (made the potatoes my own way and didn't serve peas). It works pretty well, I'd say. Though I ended up baking the chicken for an hour after the stove top portion, instead of 45 minutes like he does.

Nova

Certified Nobody
Jul 1, 2020
www.twitch.tv
First attempt at a baked mac and cheese using soy products (I'm lactose intolerant). Seasoned it with some basil, oregano, and thyme, and mixed plenty of cayenne into the crust for a light kick. Came out pretty nicely, and I've got enough for 4-5 full meals. First piece unfortunately fell apart completely as I tried to scoop it out of the dish, but it tasted nice all the same.

View attachment 766

Follow-up: because it came out so well the first time, I decided to try making the baked mac and cheese again, but with an added twist: half the pasta, then an additional layer of cheese slices, then the rest of the pasta and the crust. It was divine. You get an extra layer of melty, gooey cheese right in the middle, and it's that extra little touch that really elevates the whole dish from good to great.

Boxman214

World's Okayest Chef
May 10, 2020
Made Chimichangas last night. Put some Shredded Rotisserie chicken and a bit of colby jack cheese in a Tortilla. Rolled em up tight. Put in hot oil for a couple minutes. I started at too high a temp, so the first couple burned. I'll do better next time (should have done about medium heat on the stove). Topped with El Pato Enchilada Sauce, Crema, and Black Olives. So good. Cheap and easy, as well.

IMG_20200826_192905959.jpg
IMG_20200826_192629428.jpg

Nova

Certified Nobody
Jul 1, 2020
www.twitch.tv
Below: my meals for today.
Breakfast: toast and orange juice. Ordinarily I just have some cold cereal (what's your favorite and why is it Honey Bunches of Oats?), but today I was in the mood for something lighter.
Lunch: Tuna with dried cranberries. Nothing special.
Dinner: Leftover mac and cheese, reheated. I've been experimenting with the recipe; this one used a mix of cheddar and pepper jack plus a layer of mozzarella slices in the middle (non-dairy substitutes, naturally).

Day's Meals.png