What Games Do You Consider Masterpieces

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
Oh boy, time to show my age. Let's see, Fallout 2, Baldur's Gate 2, Neverwinter Nights ,Master of Orion 2, Planescape Torment,Total Annihilation,Starcraft,Soulbows mum,Angband,KotOR, Final Fantasy 4, Final Fantasy 6, Phantasy Star 4, EarthBound and Lufia 2. Just to name a few :p
Same generation dude :)
Also, Soulbow's mom is definitely a masterpiece. Best reacharound ever!!!

Siddartha85

Jun 8, 2020
That's tough. Portal 2 co-op is an unequivocal experience. Highly recommended with somebody you know well. I did it with my best friend.
I would also count Left 4 Dead as being something that really impressed me.
Sayonara Wild Hearts and Gris also come to mind. I think Children of Morta may qualify too.

• Love
Reactions: RiffRaff

Popyman

Jun 8, 2020
Mother 3 and Cave Story. M3 is the best story I've ever experienced in a video game, brought me to tears multiple times. And Cave Story is just so impressive to me that a one man passion project turned out as amazing as it is in every single area. I don't think any other game made by one person is like that.

• Love

DexterTheThird

Jun 8, 2020
I'm gonna name an out of left field one here...West of Loathing. Hands down one of the funniest games I've ever played, and a solid RPG to boot.

• Love

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
That's tough. Portal 2 co-op is an unequivocal experience. Highly recommended with somebody you know well. I did it with my best friend.
I would also count Left 4 Dead as being something that really impressed me.
Sayonara Wild Hearts and Gris also come to mind. I think Children of Morta may qualify too.
Portal 2 is one of the only co-op games I've ever played to completion (did it with my brother). Good times were had. The single player is also up there in masterpiece territory. Funniest game ever! and smart!

I gotta check out SWH one day soon. Looks like a game I'd enjoy!

NSPillow

Jun 8, 2020
Legend of Zelda : A Link to the Past - My first video game love; I've played it a thousand times and I'll play it a thousand more.

Castlevania : SoTN - Music, atmosphere, bosses, perfect pacing this game has it all.

Dead Cells - I can't think of a game where the player control felt so perfect. The combat had impact, the movement is fluid, and the games difficulty is perfectly balanced. If you die, it was something you did wrong, it was your fault, end of story.

• Love

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
Dead Cells - I can't think of a game where the player control felt so perfect. The combat had impact, the movement is fluid, and the games difficulty is perfectly balanced. If you die, it was something you did wrong, it was your fault, end of story.

I almost want to agree with you there. Until I got hooked on Hades I'd have said Dead Cells is the best rouge-lite ever! My biggest issue after over 200 hours with the Switch version is the higher difficulties are just too brutal and can feel cheap. I'm working on 3BC and I'm lucky if I can make it past the Timekeeper which really requires me getting specific drops (good shield, ice grenade are musts for me in that fight). The Hand is damn near impossible as if you take just one hit you're fucked.
I think 2BC is the perfect difficulty and they shouldn't have gated a lot behind the crazy hard difficulties.
Anyhoo, damn fine game!!!!!

LoftiestTea33

Jun 9, 2020
I don't know if I'd still feel the same way if I played it now, but
Hitman: Blood Money
I used to think about that game nonstop, just planning out possible assassination ideas

Reactions: Roager and RiffRaff

Nag

Jun 8, 2020
Raccoon City
Although it's not my favourite in the series the first Gears of War is pretty much spot on in pacing and gameplay...

And Resident Evil Remake is perfect full stop.

Jinx

Jun 9, 2020
Why Call of Pripyat and not Shadow of Chernobyl? I haven't really played the series at all, but it seems that the internet agrees the first game was the best.
I love both but if I had to pick one I think Pripyat is the slightly stronger game. As for Clear Sky... uhh... let's pretend that didn't happen.

SolidVercetti

Jun 10, 2020
Mega-City One, USA
Lotta cool picks so far!

Doom and Duke Nukem 3D. Doom just holds up tremendously, and is crazy how innovative it was. And Duke 3D is my fav for that era and style of level design, just perfect.

GTA3 and Vice City. GTA3 knocked my socks off, invented a new subgenre pretty much. Still fun today. Vice City perfected that in my book, so smooth all around. And the series overall, I'd call GTAV a masterpiece as well for sure. The sandbox with a fun city to explore, and an engaging and funny main adventure.

Space Quest IV and Quest for Glory (VGA). Definitive point and click adventures for me, so much character and inspiration. Space Quest IV feels you're controlling a character in a movie, especially at the time. And QfG, speaking of Witcher 3 (which rules), a lot of what Witcher 3 does is done in a smaller scale in Quest for Glory. Really captured my imagination, seemed everybody who played it enjoyed making a paper map of the forest screens. I sure did.

Sonic the Hedgehog and Sonic 2. Agreed Mario is a series with many masterpieces, and Sonic has some in his own right. These classics put a nice spin (heyooo) on the genre.

Last but not least, I'll say Metal Gear Solid 3, could be any of them, but this one is a fun fav.

• Love
Reactions: Roager and RiffRaff

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
Lotta cool picks so far!

Doom and Duke Nukem 3D. Doom just holds up tremendously, and is crazy how innovative it was. And Duke 3D is my fav for that era and style of level design, just perfect.

GTA3 and Vice City. GTA3 knocked my socks off, invented a new subgenre pretty much. Still fun today. Vice City perfected that in my book, so smooth all around. And the series overall, I'd call GTAV a masterpiece as well for sure. The sandbox with a fun city to explore, and an engaging and funny main adventure.

Space Quest IV and Quest for Glory (VGA). Definitive point and click adventures for me, so much character and inspiration. Space Quest IV feels you're controlling a character in a movie, especially at the time. And QfG, speaking of Witcher 3 (which rules), a lot of what Witcher 3 does is done in a smaller scale in Quest for Glory. Really captured my imagination, seemed everybody who played it enjoyed making a paper map of the forest screens. I sure did.

Sonic the Hedgehog and Sonic 2. Agreed Mario is a series with many masterpieces, and Sonic has some in his own right. These classics put a nice spin (heyooo) on the genre.

Last but not least, I'll say Metal Gear Solid 3, could be any of them, but this one is a fun fav.
Recently grabbed the classic Doom trilogy on Switch and replayed them. They hold up really fucking great and Doom 3 isn't nearly as bad as so many make it out to be. But Doom 2 is my pick for best in series.
Duke Nukem 3D entertained my teenage brain so much back in the day lol :) I think I still have some of the floppies from the 2D Apogee shareware games lying around somewhere lol. Those were actually pretty damn fun games!
Quest for Glory, Space Quest, and those Sierra games were a big hit with me when I was a kid :)

Reactions: SolidVercetti

SolidVercetti

Jun 10, 2020
Mega-City One, USA
Recently grabbed the classic Doom trilogy on Switch and replayed them. They hold up really fucking great and Doom 3 isn't nearly as bad as so many make it out to be. But Doom 2 is my pick for best in series.
Duke Nukem 3D entertained my teenage brain so much back in the day lol :) I think I still have some of the floppies from the 2D Apogee shareware games lying around somewhere lol. Those were actually pretty damn fun games!
Quest for Glory, Space Quest, and those Sierra games were a big hit with me when I was a kid :)

Very cool to hear! Really was quite the memorable decade for games there, lotta unique cool stuff.