What Interests You the Most About the Upcoming Next-Gen Consoles?

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
Sony's PS5 reveal yesterday was terrific and I am 100% on board with PS5 now. Even considering breaking my rule and getting one close to launch (probably Christmas). They certainly did their job well and hyped me up for next-gen and I do think it will have a much more noticeable and impacting improvement compared to the last gen to current gen.

Besides the individual games, what interests you the most about the upcoming gen of consoles?

For me sound design is a big one. Regardless of how beautiful and engaging a game's visuals are, they are the least important thing for me when getting sucked into a game. Give me great sound and music and I'll be swept away totally forgetting about the Silent Hill nightmare world we are living in now. Case in point, Zelda: BotW: the visuals are terrific and all, but the subtlety of sound design are what make Hyrule feel like a living, breathing world. Just imagine what could be done with next-gen hardware!
Also, deer lord I can't wait to hear what those geniuses at From Software do with their next, fully next-gen game soundwise!

Another one for me has already existed for a while mainly on Nintendo's handheld consoles: Quick sleep. Being able to tap a button to put the game to sleep for an indefinite period of time has been a godsend for me. Unpauseable (or even worse, skipping when you hit the pause button) cutscenes no more! And being able to jump into a game in 1 second flat is great (one of the reasons the Switch port of The Witcher 3 is so great).

I also can't wait to see how insane AI gets!

Seymour Demonica

Badonkadonk Monk
Jun 9, 2020
www.youtube.com
Interested in how they'll utilize the super fast processing power beyond gameplay mechanics or sequences based around moving through an environment super fast (see: Ratchet & Clank, that Square Enix title).

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
Interested in how they'll utilize the super fast processing power beyond gameplay mechanics or sequences based around moving through an environment super fast (see: Ratchet & Clank, that Square Enix title).
Imagine what Portal could do with that power!

Zalno

Dude who shouts "NYEH!"
Jun 8, 2020
The things I care about the most are the points people consider boring.

-Smart Delivery
-Suspending multiple games at once
-BACKWARDS MOTHERFUCKING COMPATIBILITY
-Cross-platform online multiplayer
-Maybe putting gyros in your controllers to make shooters infinitely more tolerable on consoles?

We've pretty much reached a point where games aren't gonna look much better than they do right now, so I'm kinda over graphical improvements as a selling point. I just want fun games and some standardized features.

Granadico

Jun 8, 2020
SoCal
Sony's PS5 reveal yesterday was terrific and I am 100% on board with PS5 now. Even considering breaking my rule and getting one close to launch (probably Christmas). T
For me sound design is a big one. Regardless of how beautiful and engaging a game's visuals are, they are the least important thing for me when getting sucked into a game. Give me great sound and music and I'll be swept away totally forgetting about the Silent Hill nightmare world we are living in now. Case in point, Zelda: BotW: the visuals are terrific and all, but the subtlety of sound design are what make Hyrule feel like a living, breathing world. Just imagine what could be done with next-gen hardware
Sound is really underrated and I'm really hoping that ray tracing surround sound crap it's just a Sony /PS5 thing. I'd love to have the space/money to have a great surround sound setup but especially with a kid it's hard so headphones is my main source.

-Maybe putting gyros in your controllers to make shooters infinitely more tolerable on consoles?
I've given up on this since Sony's had gyro since the PS3 and Xbox still doesn't have it. IR aiming and gyro are only gonna matter for Nintendo and PC I guess because people thinkin all motion controls involve flailing. I've given up on 60 fps becoming the standard again too sadly :(

Reactions: RiffRaff

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
Sound is really underrated and I'm really hoping that ray tracing surround sound crap it's just a Sony /PS5 thing. I'd love to have the space/money to have a great surround sound setup but especially with a kid it's hard so headphones is my main source.
I'll take a nice set of headphones over a big surround sound system any day of the week!

Granadico

Jun 8, 2020
SoCal
I'll take a nice set of headphones over a big surround sound system any day of the week!
It's to the point with me that the biggest reason I don't play as much games as I could (besides time) is that I feel like if I don't either have the undivided TV sound or headphones then I'm not getting the full experience. Ironically I don't care for voice actin at all, but missing out on the music and sound effects feels like I'm missing out on half the game. The only exceptions are games I've already played a lot or ones where it's the same crap over and over again (like an racin game with the same songs or grinding in an RPG).

• Love

Xeo

May 10, 2020
I'm a sucker for new tech, so I'm excited about it regardless. But what most interests me? To be honest the new SSD tech they're using. It's brand new, bleeding edge tech that's new and not even being used by PCs (yet). When's the last time consoles lead the way for some form of tech over gaming PCs? It's a game changer. It's going to affect everything from loading times, draw distance, texture loading times, seamless environmental transitions (Even this early you could clearly see it in action on the new Ratchet & Clank), but even game install size! It's exciting as hell to me.

It's an absolutely genius solution to modern gaming issues as well. Front-end graphics processing is one of the most expensive demands in modern video gaming. Rather than worry about that more, Sony tapped into the data decompression side of things to instead free up more processing power for other things since the SSD itself covers some of the work there. I really don't know why someone didn't think of it before, especially when it comes to consoles. It's genius. I don't see so many people talking about it, and truthfully I don't think a lot of people entirely understand what's going on with the SSD. Given that it's legitimately new tech, that makes sense.

I remember during that press conference before with Mark Cerny he mentioned about how it was going to use a special SSD that would be "game-changing" to the industry. I obviously didn't fully understand it then so I didn't put a lot of stock into it. Afterall, why would improved tech for the storage side of things change the game? But now that we understand WHY, it kind of blows my mind. I'm EXTREMELY excited to see how this is going to change things going forward.

• Love

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
I'm a sucker for new tech, so I'm excited about it regardless. But what most interests me? To be honest the new SSD tech they're using. It's brand new, bleeding edge tech that's new and not even being used by PCs (yet). When's the last time consoles lead the way for some form of tech over gaming PCs? It's a game changer. It's going to affect everything from loading times, draw distance, texture loading times, seamless environmental transitions (Even this early you could clearly see it in action on the new Ratchet & Clank), but even game install size! It's exciting as hell to me.

It's an absolutely genius solution to modern gaming issues as well. Front-end graphics processing is one of the most expensive demands in modern video gaming. Rather than worry about that more, Sony tapped into the data decompression side of things to instead free up more processing power for other things since the SSD itself covers some of the work there. I really don't know why someone didn't think of it before, especially when it comes to consoles. It's genius. I don't see so many people talking about it, and truthfully I don't think a lot of people entirely understand what's going on with the SSD. Given that it's legitimately new tech, that makes sense.

I remember during that press conference before with Mark Cerny he mentioned about how it was going to use a special SSD that would be "game-changing" to the industry. I obviously didn't fully understand it then so I didn't put a lot of stock into it. Afterall, why would improved tech for the storage side of things change the game? But now that we understand WHY, it kind of blows my mind. I'm EXTREMELY excited to see how this is going to change things going forward.
One thing that really sold me on the SSD was when Cerny mentioned that maps could be designed in a way where they wouldn't have to be hostage to RAM. This makes me especially excited for games like Assassin's Creed. They could actually recreate an ancient city brick for brick!

Xeo

May 10, 2020
One thing that really sold me on the SSD was when Cerny mentioned that maps could be designed in a way where they wouldn't have to be hostage to RAM. This makes me especially excited for games like Assassin's Creed. They could actually recreate an ancient city brick for brick!
Exciting as hell!

• Love

jtotal

Jun 9, 2020
Columbia, MO
I... Don't know.

I mean, I want to get both, but I'm scared I'm going to just have them collect dust while my severely underpowered Switch will get all my love.

Usually when I get a new system, I buy practically everything for it within the first year. Then I calm down. It's year three and I'm still going apeshit on buying games for this thing.

Kerrik52

May 11, 2020
I'm kinda just excited to see PS4 games run better and load faster. Bloodborne with fast loading and The Evil Within at a steady 30 FPS would make them so much easier to go back to.

• Love
May 14, 2020
Maybe the loading times didn't care much at first but as I am playing Prey now and man I do love the game but those constant long loading times really kill parts of the game.

Main thibg for me for every new gen will be how many new ips, creative games, more risk taking games will we get. Better smarter funner AI would be great but it seems clear at this point they won't focus on that much at all considering there has been mention of everything about new games, their graphics,enviroments, and so on but nothing about their AI.

Shame as well because it can really hurt a lot of games. If you put a lot of work into creating loads of cool weapons if the AI is to stupid to put up much of a challenge most likely you'll take the same easiest route to beat them and get bored more and more.

Cygnus Rush 961

Apex Hitter and Tire Eater
Jun 9, 2020
Tacoma, WA
Backwards Compatibility is a key thing for me when it comes to the upcoming "Next-Gen" systems from Sony and Microsoft. Some games have been left to languish on a previous generation system which has parts that are getting harder to find and higher in price. A system that's backwards compatible can make it easier to enjoy older games without having to take out a second mortgage on maintaining a legacy system in a legal way.

DtoidJordan

Administrator
Staff member
Robot
Apr 15, 2020
Really curious to see the Microsoft acquisitions pan out and the next crop of Sony IPs, sequels or otherwise.

Reactions: flop

keisal

May 12, 2020
I’m excited for the PS4 price to reduce so I can buy one just for Spider-Man. I’m pretty stoked for the SSDs too and backwards compatibility. I’m tempted to buy the series x at launch even tho I know better.

Fendibull

May 24, 2020
I'm might be one of the minority but I heard rumors that Xbox X have a superior sound chip for the console, was made in house to compete against PS5. So now instead of having SSD War, Ray Tracing War, I'm looking forward on Sound Chip War.

• Love