What was your first gamer moment?

Parismio

Lemon Zinger
May 11, 2020
Noneya
Hey y'all! What was the earliest memory you had playing a game that made you go "MOM LOOK WHAT I DID GET THE CAMERA!"?

Roager

Rogue Ogre
May 11, 2020
When I was like 4, I got to the third level of the NES Little Nemo game, which was huge to me because I had only ever seen the first and second. So I jumped up to go tell my parents the exciting news. But I tripped.

Here's the thing: The living room in that house is separated from the tile entryway by a single step. Not a staircase, just a step. And the living room carpet goes up the vertical front of the step, but the top is just tile. That's what I hit. Faceplanted the edge of the tile, which isn't curved or smoothed or anything, just the sharp corner edge of it.

I still have a faint scar on my nose from that.

Reactions: Nova

Vincentdante

Jul 2, 2020
Completing Super Mario World on my old SNES.

I also fell over in excitement but it wasn't as scarring as Roager's sounded ouch.

Reactions: Nova

zatoseyes

May 11, 2020
My earliest moment of gaming pride was probably defeating Flashman in Mega Man 2. He is the easiest boss, so it's not really that much of a brag but it was the first boss I could definitely beat without my dad's help.

After that is probably beating The Little Mermaid on the NES. I think that might have been the first game I ever completed on my own.

sweaty dungus

Thickened-up hunk
May 11, 2020
Been gaming literally as long as I can remember. If I go back far enough to when I was maybe 3 or 4 years old, I have these abstract memories of playing SMB2, Zelda 1, and Rocky & Bullwinkle on NES. The waterfall in the first level of SMB2 is particularly engrained in my memory. I don’t recall how far I got in any of these games, I just associate them with a time and place.

I guess my earliest moment of gaming pride would be beating Donkey Kong Country — the first game I ever beat. Think I was around 5 years old. The save function helped a lot.

Lex

Custom title:
May 11, 2020
Germany
I did record my final moments with Final Fantasy 7 on a VCR for some reason. Not sure if it was pride or some other reason anymore.
Beyond that ... no matter how many years I go back I never saw myself as a gamer. Back then this just wasn't a thing.

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
I still remember a moment in the very early 80s when I played Centipede in a local boardwalk arcade. The actual playing of the game is hazy at best but being really engaged by using the trackball to play stuck with me. That may have been my first experience ever with a video game. It's all been downhill since then.

Reactions: Vesalius

AllCutUp1136

Jul 4, 2020
First video game I ever played was Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! on NES when I was 5. Finally beat Tyson when I was 8. Haven't beaten it since. One day, Mike... we shall have our rematch...

Reactions: RiffRaff

Nova

Certified Nobody
Jul 1, 2020
www.twitch.tv
Used to play Humongous Entertainment point-and-clicks with my mom when I was really little. When I was five, we picked up the first Spy Fox game and reached a puzzle where you're underwater and need to find a way past a pair of guards patrolling on giant robot fish. We were stuck on this puzzle for days, until one afternoon when Mom was out and I booted up the game to kill some time... and I stumbled upon the solution. The minute she got home, I ran to the door, excited to tell her I figured it out and we could finally see the rest of the game.

Reactions: RiffRaff and Roager

DtoidJordan

Administrator
Staff member
Robot
Apr 15, 2020
102% in Donkey Kong Country 2. I was five when the game came out and it took me literal years. Beyond the hidden coins and secrets, even just beating Toxic Tower the first time was a huge brick wall back then.

Reactions: RiffRaff and Nova