What's Your Favorite World?

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
So, question of the day. What's your favorite world in video games? By world I mean set of levels or a zone with a singular theme. A larger world question is coming at a later date ;)
My pick goes to Autumn Heights in DKC: Tropical Freeze. Each level in that world is just a joy to play and it's complete with some of David Wise's best music to date. Autumn is also my favorite season; I just love the colors and the smell of it.

Did I mention how good the music in this world is? The music for Windmill Hills is possibly my favorite tune from the whole history of video games. It just makes me smile so much!!! So happy! I must have replayed that level 100 times just to listen to the song :p

Xeo

May 10, 2020
Probably Nagrand from World of Warcraft. It's certainly the first one that came to mind. It's this little serene pocket of tranquillity in an otherwise harsh alien world. There is still conflict within it, but even that is less obvious and less overly aggressive. It has floating island formations in the sky that have waterfalls tumbling back down to the ground, it's gorgeous. An old guild mate affectionately described as "Like if OZ from The Wizard of Oz were in Warcraft."

It came back with a new updated look in the Warlords of Draenor expansion due to what the expansion is about. (Going back into time before Draenor was corrupted and turned into Outland, in an alternate reality/timeline.) And it honestly looks a lot better, but the original Burning Crusade version as a zone in Outland is the one I'm referring to. It was hands down the most beautiful spot in the whole game at that time. Breathtaking the first time you arrive there, actually. And I have some really special memories with my old now long defunct guild in that area.

And it has a rich history if you go back to Warcraft lore too.

Nagrand.jpg

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
Probably Nagrand from World of Warcraft. It's certainly the first one that came to mind. It's this little serene pocket of tranquillity in an otherwise harsh alien world. There is still conflict within it, but even that is less obvious and less overly aggressive. It has floating island formations in the sky that have waterfalls tumbling back down to the ground, it's gorgeous. An old guild mate affectionately described as "Like if OZ from The Wizard of Oz were in Warcraft."

It came back with a new updated look in the Warlords of Draenor expansion due to what the expansion is about. (Going back into time before Draenor was corrupted and turned into Outland, in an alternate reality/timeline.) And it honestly looks a lot better, but the original Burning Crusade version as a zone in Outland is the one I'm referring to. It was hands down the most beautiful spot in the whole game at that time. Breathtaking the first time you arrive there, actually. And I have some really special memories with my old now long defunct guild in that area.

And it has a rich history if you go back to Warcraft lore too.

View attachment 366
That almost makes me want to play WoW again! (I stopped after ice world expansion. Too stressing needing to interact with people and schedule times to raid).

Reactions: MajorTomsCoffeeCup

Xeo

May 10, 2020
I used to raid in World of Warcraft, but I kinda dropped the game due to so much guild drama. Just people arguing left and right, and setting schedules and... oh god.

It's just too much, sometimes. And after a point, progression requires dealing with other people. To get further, you have to deal with the people, deal with the drama. And dropping a guild? Joining another one? It's hard.
I strictly use the Looking For Raid tool these days, it's good enough for me. It's bite sized, queues up with randoms and has easier, more forgiving encounter mechanics since we're randoms doing it together. The loot isn't quite as good as the real thing, but it's the next best thing without all the bullshit. WoW is my chill out game, so I make it as stress free as possible, and that happens to mean I don't do any serious raiding as a result. Fuck it. I still love questing in general, the lore, the cinematics, etc.

Reactions: RiffRaff
May 14, 2020
I was seeing this more as singular levels something like Clockwork Mansion in Dishonored 2 but to fit your question better I would have to say the stealth underwater world in Rayman Legends. Or a good chunk of the other world such a joy to play.

May 14, 2020
I was seeing this more as singular levels something like Clockwork Mansion in Dishonored 2 but to fit your question better I would have to say the stealth underwater world in Rayman Legends. Or a good chunk of the other world such a joy to play.
Oh maybe a more recent one of the final chapter of levels in Celeste. Its always great to see a game throw all the stuff it gave/taught you all into a final set of levels. Would be nice to see that happen in moreb games.

• Love

Roager

Rogue Ogre
May 11, 2020
That was the moment I had to stop treating Mario World like Mario 3. Which made me realize how open the rest of the map could be.

I love Mario 3, but the overworld map in World is just *so* much better.

Xeo

May 10, 2020
Gonna have to go for Castle Cainhurst in Bloodborne. That was basically the 3D Castlevania level I always wanted and never got in any actual Castlevania game.
Mmm, forgot about Cainhurst, that's a very good one.

May 11, 2020
Fraxia 112
Primordia in Xenoblade X or Torna in ...Torna

Nibleheim in FF7 is cool/creeeepy

Love the village in RE4

Hyrule Fields in BOTW

There are lots, those are what come to mind atm though

• Love

NSPillow

Jun 8, 2020
I can think of two (FFT's and FFXII) Ivalice and BotW's Hyrule.

Ivalice has some of the coolest lore and races I've ever encountered in a video game.

But I've never seen a world as fun to explore and just look at as Hyrule. I felt like a kid again where everything was new and their was adventure around every corner.

Zalno

Dude who shouts "NYEH!"
Jun 8, 2020
Bit of a lame answer, but I've always considered Johto to be my "home" as it were. Goldenrod in particular is my favorite spot.

JohtoMap.png