Why'd You Pick Your Username?

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
Stealing D-Volt's inquisition to your profile pic, why'd you pick your username?

My irl nickname has been RiffRaff (or Riff or more typically Raff) since middle-school. I've always been tall and lanky and my last name's first 4 letters are Raff. A classmate associated it with Rocky Horror's RiffRaff and it stuck. Hated it at first but in time I actually grew to love Rocky Horror and is easily one of my favorite films and movie going experiences (If you've never been to a screening, put that on your bucket list). The rest is history.

f559ff428a2ad1d474d932db6004ec0a.gif

Palvikinkku

Ambassador of Finland
May 11, 2020
Kankaanpää
Leftover from the Windows Messenger days.

I had on-off-nicknames of sorts but nothing really stuck with me.

One day, my big sis just said "lol" and changed my name to "Palvikinkku" in aforementioned Messenger.

But jokes on her, I fell love in my new nickname. Hence, I am Palvikinkku.

And for those who don't know, "Palvikinkku" means "Smoked Ham"; think of it as cold cut.

✨ Matt ✨

Garbage Pail Kid
May 10, 2020
I'd explain why I have my nickname, but I'd imagine you could already guess, lol

As for why my username everywhere used to be TheAngriestCarp, it was because I wanted to make an account to respond to a comment someone made but was impatient and wanted to do it ASAP. So I picked the first combination of words I could think of and added "angry" to it because I was generally angry. Then I just used it everywhere else as well because that's what my online buddies knew me as.

absolutfreak

May 10, 2020
In my underage drinking years, I was a fan of Absolut vodka, and I was being edgy by showing my love of it. I never really got around to going with anything else. I've kicked around the idea of changing to my go-to name for MMOs, which is Gildark. (I have no idea where I got that one, started using it in FInal Fantasy XI)

DeScruff

The Giant Rat That Makes All of the Rules
May 11, 2020
The Internet!
DeScruff came from the fact my irl nickname for years has been "Scruffy".
At the time I loved programing, and was always fixing random things for people.

When I was programing I would create debug variables that were prefixed with "De" like "DeTop_score". Durring a programing class I was helping a friend next to me, and and after the issue was solved I had to... get rid of all my stuff, or as we coined it... DeScruff it... and from there whenever I fixed something it just kinda got known as DeScruffing it.
I dunno I took a liking to the name.

NeoTurbo

Some sort of human person?
May 10, 2020
Edmonton, Alberta
When I was in elementary school I made up a rocket ship called the "Turbo 317", so when we started needing usernames growing up it started as that. turbo317.

But then you get at age where you start thinking that numbers in your username aren't very cool, so I needed an update. I was playing Shadow Hearts Covenant at the time, and one of the transformation forms for the main character had a super form. Went from Amon to Neo Amon, which I thought was pretty dang cool.

And that's how I went from turbo317 to NeoTurbo!

D-Volt

Haruspex/Menkhu
May 10, 2020
I was born in 1995, so my first experiences with the internet were via AIM (AOL Instant Messenger), usually just talking with middle school friends after class. Back then my screenname was just my initials and 95 (my birth year) since my mom was the one who set up my AOL account.

Eventually I wanted a real screename. I loved the character 9-Volt from the Warioware series and I was always known as the kid in class who brought their Gameboy and GameGear to school, so I certainly held a similar reputation at the time. The "D" is just the first letter of my first name. So that's how D-Volt came to be.

It's short, simple, and easy for others to remember. Couldn't ask for much else in a screename.

Heat

May 10, 2020
Is my favorite character in JRPGs, in fact both my usual usernames are taken from the same game, the other being Varin Omega. I thought it was really cool, but then again i was in my 20's when i though that :)

DeScruff

The Giant Rat That Makes All of the Rules
May 11, 2020
The Internet!
Y'all put so much more thought into your names that I did, lmao
If it makes you feel any better, my previous username "Sypran" was chosen cause theres a side character from the game Gladius named "Syprian" that I liked. - except I didn't notice there was an "i" in the name till months later. - Heck I STILL spell his name wrong.