Most WTF Game

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
I've been chipping away at Deadly Premonition on Switch. Boy do I hate playing it but damned if I am not having a wonderful experience. It's charm, enthralling narrative, and WTF-ness seriously makes up for the sub-par gameplay. I'm in part 2 and there's already been tons of moments where my jaw hung agape while I ask myself 'WTF is happening right now'. Also, Keith Ingram is now one of my favorite NPCs in games now.

But for all of the WTF moments so far I don't think Deadly Premonition will take my prize for the most WTF game I played. That honor goes to the clunky FMV point and click adventure game Harvester. From it's start there was rarely a moment where I wasn't mesmerized by how off the wall nearly every scene and situation in the game. Meat, killer paperboy, spider babies, children being clonked over the head with a baseball bat Looney Tunes style, deep conversations about art with offensively flamboyant homosexual firemen painting naked men, tampons, a half-man military general with nuclear weapons, the list can keep going and going. If you love schlock cinema and grainy FMV like Phantasmagoria or The 7th Guest and aren't easily offended, you really need to play this game. Here are a few gifs to whet your appetite.

1411329101002.gif

DesertedPastDaddylonglegs-small.gif

tenor (2).gif

What's your choice for game that made you drop your jaw and go WTF the most?

Last edited:

Kerrik52

May 11, 2020
Evil Twin: Cyprien's Chronicle. There's drugs, the head of a giant teacher you climb into after cutting it open, a bunch of bizarre corrupted childhood iconography and this boss fight you defeat by making him puke if I remember correctly:
144549-evil-twin-cyprien-s-chronicles-windows-screenshot-supercyp.jpg

It was a real journey and I still can't believe this got put on a disc.

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
Evil Twin: Cyprien's Chronicle. There's drugs, the head of a giant teacher you climb into after cutting it open, a bunch of bizarre corrupted childhood iconography and this boss fight you defeat by making him puke if I remember correctly:
View attachment 445

It was a real journey and I still can't believe this got put on a disc.
Never heard of this one and I'm definitely intrigued!

Xeo

May 10, 2020
Hands down Illbleed for me. And also one of my favorite games.
Take a janky Japanese developed horror game based on the idea of B-rated horror movies and crank it up to 11. Set it in a horror theme park that showcases the movie sets of a twisted b-rated horror director and you have one helluva game.

This game starts off cheesy with it's first episode just being a pretty standard b-rated haunted house horror movie and then kicks it into high gear more and more with each subsequent level. From Tremors like giant worm levels to a factory that turns humans into zombie like crash test dummies. And that's not even the peak of how WTF it gets. That comes later in the "Toyhunter" level. A level designed around toys/action figures. You play as a hybrid between Woody from Toy Story and Indiana Jones, except he's also a pervert. His love interest is a barbie doll bent over with her gigantic ass sticking out and wearing a thong. Also, this game out DoAed DoA well before it did its thing by featuring an "unlockable" costume for the main character that sees her busted up and completely naked with just regular sized bandaids covering her nipples and a scrap of ripped underwear cloth covering her vulva.

This whole game is balls to the wall WTF, and utterly unique. It's janky as hell and often a pain in the ass to play, but goddamn do I love it. One of my absolute favorite games on the Dreamcast. Uncle Derek from Stop Skeletons From Fighting (Formerly known as The Happy Video Game Nerd) sums up the game better than I can here. Just watch for yourself.

Last edited:

Lawman

May 10, 2020
Definitely Norrland. Cactusquid was a weird motherfucker way before Hotline Miami existed.

Reactions: RiffRaff

Sp_Testure

Earl of Cactuar's
May 11, 2020
Portland,OR
Many moons ago before weebs and Gundams ruled the earth I was in love with the first Xenosaga game. I was so excited for the sequel that I even bought the strategy guide same day. And then I attempted to play it....and things broke inside me...

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
Many moons ago before weebs and Gundams ruled the earth I was in love with the first Xenosaga game. I was so excited for the sequel that I even bought the strategy guide same day. And then I attempted to play it....and things broke inside me...
I tried to play the Xenosaga game when it came out as I loved Xenogears to bits. It....didn't click with me.

NSPillow

Jun 8, 2020
Playing Drakengard 3. It was my first Yoko Taro game, and I picked it up after Chris Carter's positive review not knowing too much about what I was getting into.

It was goddamn magical.
Damn. I've owed it for a while ... Maybe I should actually play it.

Sp_Testure

Earl of Cactuar's
May 11, 2020
Portland,OR
I tried to play the Xenosaga game when it came out as I loved Xenogears to bits. It....didn't click with me.
I loved the first game... (The mini card game is still one of the best) the second game was just terrible. Apparently the third one's a lot better which I'm trying to get through right now if it wasn't so distracted by so many other things.

Jun 9, 2020
UK
Harvester probably takes the cake for sheer number of bizarre and likely to cause offense moments; I watched an LP of that awhile back and I don't think I've ever experienced anything else that deliberately designed to offend a 90's mum's sensibilities.

I'd humbly suggest Dark Seed is worth a mention, it's another 90's point and click adventure game but with a bunch of HR Giger designs shoe-horned in. You play a guy who gets some sort of alien seed implanted in his brain in the intro, then has to rush round town (and a Giger-inspired nightmare version of the town) solving the story to eventually get the seed removed. It's a pretty so so point and click adventure but some of the imagery is really cool, like the implantation scene:

Also, worth mentioning the animated version throbs and drips, rather disturbingly.

Some more imagery for flavour:

PhilKenSebben

Lord of Loss
Staff member
Robot
Apr 15, 2020
Cali
Harvester probably takes the cake for sheer number of bizarre and likely to cause offense moments; I watched an LP of that awhile back and I don't think I've ever experienced anything else that deliberately designed to offend a 90's mum's sensibilities.

I'd humbly suggest Dark Seed is worth a mention, it's another 90's point and click adventure game but with a bunch of HR Giger designs shoe-horned in. You play a guy who gets some sort of alien seed implanted in his brain in the intro, then has to rush round town (and a Giger-inspired nightmare version of the town) solving the story to eventually get the seed removed. It's a pretty so so point and click adventure but some of the imagery is really cool, like the implantation scene:

Also, worth mentioning the animated version throbs and drips, rather disturbingly.

Hello. Cunt.

JonJonXD

May 28, 2020
One I think nobody played is Edge of Nowhere.

This was Insomniac's Oculus exclusive VR third person platform.

I thought it did a great job, especially with the twists.

Especially the ending where you think you are escaping the island for real finally, but then you realize you are just releasing Chtulu. Watching him pop out of a glacier was wild, but what was more wild was looking to my left to see my wife staring at me as her face started to split open into a tentacle monster and attack my face. It was great.

DeScruff

The Giant Rat That Makes All of the Rules
May 11, 2020
The Internet!
Sooo If people were not aware. For a couple of the "Getting Weird with Wes" articles I did the header images.
And... I was shown some weird ass games.

I think certainly the most visually "WTF" would be - Gingiva.

With a logo like that... You know your going to be diving into some surreal shiznaz.
aaaand yep.
Screenshot_2020-06-09 Gingiva by Takamo - Game Jolt.png

• Love

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy

Dark Seed brings to mind an all-time favorite game of mine, I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream. It has it's moments of horrific, graphic visuals and themes, but what really makes it great is that overbearing sense of despair. Harlan Ellison's (author of the must read short story that served as the basis for the game. RIP) overacted voice work as the antagonist is also wonderful and adds so much personality to the game.

• Love
Reactions: Panzadolphin56