Music Recommendations

Nior

Scrublord Extraordinaire
May 17, 2020
Brazil
Because I'm (finally) writing my Red Alert 3 retrospective, I've been listening to nothing but Frank Kleplacki's stuff for the last few days. He just rocks so much!

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
Been hooked on Zeal & Ardor's Stranger Fruit again. Damn fine album! Black metal mixed with African American slave song style music. Incredibly effective mix.

Reactions: zatoseyes

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
Portal! It’s blackened death metal at its most twisted and extreme, often resembling a thick wall or surprisingly technical noise instead of anything musically comprehensible.

Fuck! Portal is so great!

Speaking of crazy tech metal, Pyrrhon has a new record out in a couple days. I can't wait for that one!

Xeo

May 10, 2020
Anyone have some good New Wave of Traditional Heavy Metal bands they'd recommend? Something like Cauldron, Skullfist, or Striker? I need some more, desperately. I've had Cauldron's last album on rotation for a week or two straight now, but I need new stuff!

Reactions: RiffRaff

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
Anyone have some good New Wave of Traditional Heavy Metal bands they'd recommend? Something like Cauldron, Skullfist, or Striker? I need some more, desperately. I've had Cauldron's last album on rotation for a week or two straight now, but I need new stuff!
Gonna shill my good friend's bands here. No bullshit, both are really good.
Drakkar- Traditional heavy metal/power

Crimson Dawn- Doom/Traditional (this song's in Italian but the rest of their music is in English ;) )

Xeo

May 10, 2020
Gonna shill my good friend's bands here. No bullshit, both are really good.
Drakkar- Traditional heavy metal/power

Crimson Dawn- Doom/Traditional (this song's in Italian but the rest of their music is in English ;) )
I think they're both pretty cool particularly Drakkar., but neither are quite as oldschool in sound as what I'm looking for. Something I guess more specifically like Cauldron, or Leatherheart if you've heard them. (NWoTHM from Spain) Cauldron hit the nail on the head for me when it came to discovering this sub-genre. A blend of Angelwitch + Dokken = Cauldron.

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
I think they're both pretty cool particularly Drakkar., but neither are quite as oldschool in sound as what I'm looking for. Something I guess more specifically like Cauldron, or Leatherheart if you've heard them. (NWoTHM from Spain) Cauldron hit the nail on the head for me when it came to discovering this sub-genre. A blend of Angelwitch + Dokken = Cauldron.
Hmmmm, can't think of anything with a more old-school sound other than the old-school bands. Grand Magus maybe?

Scrustle

May 11, 2020
Recently I've had System of a Down on the mind again, and through that I discovered that Daron Malakian released a new album a few years back that is made up of mostly unused material from a hypothetical SOAD reunion, since that never seemed to get off the ground. And it's really good! After all these years it's strange to hear new stuff in this style, and a very pleasant surprise that it stands up so well too.

Oridan

May 11, 2020
I just found this song and now I really hope there will be an increase in erhu solos in rock music.

Spaceloaf

Jun 22, 2020
It's not technically new, but Bulb (Misha of Periphery) is releasing all of his original song demos/ideas throughout the rest of the year. The first release (Vol 8, because he's releasing them in reverse order) just came out. There's like only 3 "real" songs, the rest are more like song fragments and the two April Fools songs (of which Beta is actually pretty entertaining IMHO). It's a kind of proggy djenty music.

modern_moron

Gold Standard in Stupidity
Jun 11, 2020

I slept on these dudes for nearly 10 years, then a friend from my last job finally got me to listen to them.

Best music videos.

Voex

May 19, 2020
One of my favorite bands of the past few years. Perfect mix of heavy, catchy and melodic.

• Love