Worst collectibles in games?

Cygnus Rush 961

Apex Hitter and Tire Eater
Jun 9, 2020
Tacoma, WA
Collectables in any Ubisoft game (Assassin's Creed II-IV Black Flag, The Crew 1&2) and the Riddler Trophies in Arkham Knight from Rocksteady. When done in moderation they can be enjoyable but when scaled up to a large map as seen in IV Black Flag, The Crew 1&2 or are required for "The Golden Ending" of Arkham Knight I just uninstall the game and watch said ending online. That kind of crap needs to be pared down for the next generation but I am doubtful about that.

NeoTurbo

Some sort of human person?
May 10, 2020
Edmonton, Alberta
The music notes during that one part in Skyward Sword come to mind. OH. While I'm on a nintendo train of thought, those stamps things you get in some of the recent Nintendo games. The ones that let you put pictures on messages. I haaaate those.

And looking for those stupid spirits in Quest 64.

... actually I might make a list.

Reactions: Retrofraction

PatBateman17

May 12, 2020
The feathers in Assassin’s Creed 2. There was no in-game map for them. I had to beat the game, pull up a cheat map on IGN, then trace my steps for every single one whether I had gotten it or not. My first Plat though 😂

Vincentdante

Jul 2, 2020
Another pointless collectible I bet no one thought about, grey level equipment in an MMO.

Why does it still drop when you're rocking rare stuff after the starting zones? What purpose does it serve besides vendor trash? Does anyone ever use it?

PatBateman17

May 12, 2020
ANY largely narrative based, linear adventure game that has missable collectables in awkward locations or off the main path. This can be an indie 2D platformer (like GRIS), or a major AAA game (like TLOU2), and even the AA middle of the road games like Senua's Sacrafice or A plague Tale. These are all titles with invisible one way progression walls, sections where you're led through areas by NPCs, or given only seconds to run through certain segments. Knowing that the game has hidden trinkets everywhere makes me wander around aimlessly while an exposition dump is supposed to be happening, or I'm running around a burning building hoping I don't miss a coin or something... or there are glowing orbs everywhere on platforms I can't reach and I waste my time trying to get them and then through my curiosity trigger a cutscene that pushes me on to the next level.

I hate this. Not because it isn't a nice goal on subsequent playthroughs or something, but because the moment I know they're in the game I'm playing, I can't focus on the narrative at hand and will subconsciously or consciously break the organic flow of the game just to make sure I don't miss anything.

Again. I hate this.
YES. I stopped playing Senua bc I wanted to get all the totems or whatever, but missed one that you can’t revisit and ... well that was that. I know I should finish the game but I’m still mad 😂

Reactions: RiffRaff

Roager

Rogue Ogre
May 11, 2020
Another pointless collectible I bet no one thought about, grey level equipment in an MMO.

Why does it still drop when you're rocking rare stuff after the starting zones? What purpose does it serve besides vendor trash? Does anyone ever use it?
There has to be some baseline that higher-level equipment compares to. If there's no grey loot, it's the next one up.

Reactions: Vincentdante

Sam

Village Idiot
May 17, 2020
Sorry, the real answer is - any collectible in a game without fast travel. LOOKING AT YOU, FALLEN ORDER.
Yeah but we could just say “Fallen Order” for every “worst” category question and save ourselves the discussion.

(Kidding.)

(But also I hated that game.)

Reactions: PatBateman17

16BitBlastProcessing

Staff member
Robot
Apr 22, 2020
I'm a completionist and I usually aim for 100% completion in most games I play. That said, I'm glad to see someone already posted the Riddler Trophies because absolutely fuck those things. Arkham City was one of the few games I never even attempted to go for 100% completion.

TheLimoMaker

Jun 9, 2020
London
I have a list:

1) The pigeons in Grand Theft Auto 4.
There are 200 of them and they don't appear on the map.

2) Blast shards in the first InFamous game.

3) Arkham Knight Riddler trophies. Pointless exercise of futility in an already bland game.

4) Korok seeds in Breath of the Wild.
Even the game makes fun of you for collecting them all.

5) Golden Skulltulas in Ocarina of Time.
One of the worst things I've ever tried to do in a video game.

6) Hidden bags in Mirror's Edge.
Why did the developers add hidden collectibles in a game that defines itself by its constant movement?

7) 95 different vehicles in L.A Noire.
Besides the fact that most of these vehicles look the same because of the time period, they also only appear in certain missions/times of day/areas of the city.

8) Days Gone - All of them.
There are 252 collectibles in the game. In order to get the trophy you only need to get 75% of them.
Even the developers knew you'd be bored because they're so uninspired (Historical markers, Intel, Tourism flyers etc).

RolanberryPrins

Aggressive Crybaby
May 10, 2020
Oh man see once again my brain went somewhere completely different and I thought ya'll were talking about video game collectibles like figurines and stuff released alongside games. Of which the worst has a clear winner
torso-zb_uk.png

But as far as collectables inside games, riddler trophies hands down. not only did you have to find them you had to work for them after you found them and that overstayed its welcome real fuckin fast