Unpopular Opinion Thread

modern_moron

Gold Standard in Stupidity
Jun 11, 2020
I'm in the same boat. They just don't hold up as well as other bands I listened to back then.
I love the Matt Skiba songs that I love, but they're very few.

Most of their albums have 2-3 songs I really like and everything else does absolutely nothing for me.

I even started enjoying This Could Be Love again despite multiple failures in rhyme scheme.

Paper Mario: Sticker Star is the best entry in the Paper Mario series
Not unpopular.

Straight up controversial.

CONTENTIOUS

sleepyfunn

Jun 30, 2020
The last good assassin's creed game was AC:Revelations. Future installments were a waste of time with ludicrously too much padding.

Reactions: Spaceloaf

AtomicBanana

Technically the best. Literally the worst.
May 11, 2020
The last good assassin's creed game was AC:Revelations. Future installments were a waste of time with ludicrously too much padding.
Eh, I think Black Flag was good. 3 was pretty terrible though. Can't remember where Unity falls in all this but I never played it anyway.

Syndicate sucked, didn't play Origins, and Odyssey is a slog.

modern_moron

Jun 11, 2020
Once the whole Desmond storyline came to an end I stopped caring about any overarching story in AssCreed games. It had my attention for the longest time, too. The whole Adam & Eve and apple thing was very interesting to me.

My favorite is Black Flag just for doing pirate shit. POOR OLD STORMY'S DEAD AND GONE

3 had a lot of potential for the time period, but mostly fell short of my expectations. Narrative just kinda trailed off in the end. Loved the critical representation of Washington. Disappointed it didn't rustle anyone for not being staunchly reverent to rose colored American history.

Anyway, I still have hopes for future output from Patrice Désilets' new studio. Ancestors was really cool and I'd love to see it expanded.

sleepyfunn

Jun 30, 2020
Once the whole Desmond storyline came to an end I stopped caring about any overarching story in AssCreed games. It had my attention for the longest time, too. The whole Adam & Eve and apple thing was very interesting to me.

My favorite is Black Flag just for doing pirate shit. POOR OLD STORMY'S DEAD AND GONE

3 had a lot of potential for the time period, but mostly fell short of my expectations. Narrative just kinda trailed off in the end. Loved the critical representation of Washington. Disappointed it didn't rustle anyone for not being staunchly reverent to rose colored American history.

Anyway, I still have hopes for future output from Patrice Désilets' new studio. Ancestors was really cool and I'd love to see it expanded.

I was sooo invested in the Desmond storyline. The way they incorporated the apple of eden into historical paintings as a puzzle blew my mind at the time. I remember getting shivers everytime I completed one of those puzzles in 2. I wish they continued on with those sighh

Reactions: modern_moron

Xeo

May 10, 2020
That's not unpopular, my oppinion that Odyssey is a good game is the unpopular one :p
Imagine how I feel when I tell people in all seriousness that I think Odyssey is hands down the best game in the series. By a good margin no less. To be honest, I wouldn't give a flying shit if Ubisoft took the formula they've been doing with Origins and Odyssey and now it seems Valhalla, and completely removed all of the Templar vs. Assassin horseshit from it. And while they're at it, completely kill off ALL modern time "animus" bullshit entirely from the series. Just let every game from here on out be an action RPG adventure game set in a historical period. I'd be 100% fine with that.

You want another spicy take? I fucking hate Halo. I think it's boring ass uninspired bullshit. Yes, the original was revolutionary from a control perspective when it released, and I'll respect that. But outside of that, fuck it. And I think the best thing Bungie has ever done is Destiny. Even rough around the edges, I think Destiny is leaps and bounds better and more interesting than Halo. Master Chief is a boring ass, generic shitty character too.

What's that? You want some more?
I'm not in love with Nintendo and their first party offerings anymore. Their insistence on everything new they release having to feature some new, different gimmick annoys the hell out of me. And outside of nostalgia for a lot of their older catalog, I'm VERY selective in how much I honestly enjoy any of their content anymore. The last first-party Nintendo game to really grip me was Mario Odyssey. I've tried almost all of them too. I absolutely love my Switch, but for the first time since the Nintendo 64 my main reason in doing so isn't because of it's first party exclusives. It's because it's a nice portable machine that all the indies I'd otherwise miss not being a PC gamer always seem to get ported to.

Vincentdante

Jul 2, 2020
Imagine how I feel when I tell people in all seriousness that I think Odyssey is hands down the best game in the series. By a good margin no less. To be honest, I wouldn't give a flying shit if Ubisoft took the formula they've been doing with Origins and Odyssey and now it seems Valhalla, and completely removed all of the Templar vs. Assassin horseshit from it. And while they're at it, completely kill off ALL modern time "animus" bullshit entirely from the series. Just let every game from here on out be an action RPG adventure game set in a historical period. I'd be 100% fine with that.

You want another spicy take? I fucking hate Halo. I think it's boring ass uninspired bullshit. Yes, the original was revolutionary from a control perspective when it released, and I'll respect that. But outside of that, fuck it. And I think the best thing Bungie has ever done is Destiny. Even rough around the edges, I think Destiny is leaps and bounds better and more interesting than Halo. Master Chief is a boring ass, generic shitty character too.

What's that? You want some more?
I'm not in love with Nintendo and their first party offerings anymore. Their insistence on everything new they release having to feature some new, different gimmick annoys the hell out of me. And outside of nostalgia for a lot of their older catalog, I'm VERY selective in how much I honestly enjoy any of their content anymore. The last first-party Nintendo game to really grip me was Mario Odyssey. I've tried almost all of them too. I absolutely love my Switch, but for the first time since the Nintendo 64 my main reason in doing so isn't because of it's first party exclusives. It's because it's a nice portable machine that all the indies I'd otherwise miss not being a PC gamer always seem to get ported to.

Yea I think I agree with all of this actually. As for Nintendo I like my Switch but I'm more excited for Shin Megami Tensei 3+5 than anything else we know is coming to it right now. I still hold out hope that the rest of the Dragon Quest series comes to it as well and if that 3D Mario all stars rumour becomes an actual thing then I will be content forever with my Switch. I'll always buy Nintendo's main Zelda and Mario releases as that's where all the effort it for sure.

Xeo

May 10, 2020
Yea I think I agree with all of this actually. As for Nintendo I like my Switch but I'm more excited for Shin Megami Tensei 3+5 than anything else we know is coming to it right now. I still hold out hope that the rest of the Dragon Quest series comes to it as well and if that 3D Mario all stars rumour becomes an actual thing then I will be content forever with my Switch. I'll always buy Nintendo's main Zelda and Mario releases as that's where all the effort it for sure.
On that note of Zelda...I was NOT super impressed with Breath of the Wild like most people. I didn't dislike it, but I certainly didn't finish it and sold it as well. The exploration was neat, but the complete lack of themed dungeons was probably the BIGGEST blow for me. My favorite part of the Zelda games was going into a dungeon to find a new tool and figure out how to utilize it to work my way through that dungeon. And that was gone.

On top of that all of the survival elements, but most especially the weapon durability and the stamina system can straight up lick my asshole. Those damn near ruined the entire game for me. And I'll dare say that if both of them, particularly the weapon durability bullshit hadn't been in the game my opinion would have swayed entirely to the other side for the game. It ended up making the game an absolute chore to play.

I commend Nintendo for doing something different with the formula in this case, but the survival elements and lack of a true dungeon structure worked to sap my enjoyment from the game hard. I don't hate the game, I had some good times with it in some cases actually. But as I said, I couldn't bring myself to finish it, and to be honest I have zero desire to ever do so. It's also the first mainline Zelda game in the entire series for me to have largely forgettable and in some cases even lousy music. The battle theme seriously sounds like the music that plays where there's trouble in Trolley land during an episode of Mister Rogers. I can't NOT hear that. In the end it all just felt like a very generic Witcher 3 clone to me. But without the good writing (or really hardly any actually writing at all.) and absolutely without the likeable playable character with a load of personality and being well-written.

Vincentdante

Jul 2, 2020
I actually liked the survival elements myself. It made me think outside the box in combat for the early game and made finding new stuff really exciting to try out. But that's just my opinion on that.

I agree the dungeons were terrible though and I hope BOTW 2 improves on that.

JuIc3

Jul 5, 2020
Kansas City
Unpopular opinion: I’m really digging Xbox for next generation. On a cosmetic level, I much prefer the Series X’s rectangular structure to that of the PS5. A small quip for sure.

But I also find Game Pass to be very budget friendly. While Xbox’s studios have yet to wow me, there’s no doubt that you get a good bang for your buck. It’s just a completely different approach than Sony.

The real kicker is going to be third party games, and how they perform. I think this may be where Xbox stands out a bit, similar to how the One X outperforms the Pro. Still, it would be nice if they could nail some fresh new IP’s.

Palvikinkku

Ambassador of Finland
May 11, 2020
Kankaanpää
Obsidian entertainment's earlier, rougher productions are one of their bests as well.

Especially Tyranny and Alpha Protocol are brilliant and should've been supported far more.

Which makes The Outer Worlds somewhat disappointed; it's their most competent game in years but it lacks THE EDGE Obsidian usually has.

Xeo

May 10, 2020
Obsidian entertainment's earlier, rougher productions are one of their bests as well.

Especially Tyranny and Alpha Protocol are brilliant and should've been supported far more.

Which makes The Outer Worlds somewhat disappointed; it's their most competent game in years but it lacks THE EDGE Obsidian usually has.
I completely agree. I was pretty disappointed with The Outer Worlds, I liked Alpha Protocol a LOT more than it. I didn't realize others actually liked that game too. Seems a lot of people just dismissed it after shitty reviews initially.

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy

Hard agree! Guess it's not an unpopular opinion now lol.
Competent, but lacks that Obsidian touch.

modern_moron

Jun 11, 2020
I got a little bored with Outer Worlds right after release and haven't played it in...

Wow, nearly a year I guess.

Definitely lacked the flesh I'm used to with an open world game (especially equipment variety), the skills/perks etc felt too simple, and it didn't really have much in the way of their usual storytelling and character work.

Feels like it's in this weird in between place where it wants to be both a tighter, smaller Obsidian game and a larger budget title at the same time.

I think it sets up a solid foundation for future titles, but they're going to have to really beef it up for round 2.

I still think New Vegas and all its DLC is the studio's peak

Tyranny has a great concept, but I feel like there's no real room for choice in the narrative. Like I'm always a dickhead no matter what I do. (Tbf, I haven't played more than 2 hours or so. Need to get it installed on my PC)

Palvikinkku

Ambassador of Finland
May 11, 2020
Kankaanpää
I got a little bored with Outer Worlds right after release and haven't played it in...

Wow, nearly a year I guess.

Definitely lacked the flesh I'm used to with an open world game (especially equipment variety), the skills/perks etc felt too simple, and it didn't really have much in the way of their usual storytelling and character work.

Feels like it's in this weird in between place where it wants to be both a tighter, smaller Obsidian game and a larger budget title at the same time.

I think it sets up a solid foundation for future titles, but they're going to have to really beef it up for round 2.

I still think New Vegas and all its DLC is the studio's peak

Tyranny has a great concept, but I feel like there's no real room for choice in the narrative. Like I'm always a dickhead no matter what I do. (Tbf, I haven't played more than 2 hours or so. Need to get it installed on my PC)

Well the tag line of Tyranny is that "Sometimes, evil wins." so it kinda safe to say that being a dick is the point of the game; you are essentially the evil bad guy's rules lawyer, lawyering things as you see fit or fits withing the rules of evil bad guy's.

And your New Vegas point reminds me of second (unpopular?) opinion:

New Vegas "ruined" Obsidian Entertainment; but the blame is on the fan's court, mostly.

Everything will be held and compared against it and Obsidian can't quite escape the shadow of "THE BEST GAEM LIEK EVVEER". If it ain't New Vegas, it's just not as good as it could-should-would be.

Shame, really.

modern_moron

Jun 11, 2020
Well the tag line of Tyranny is that "Sometimes, evil wins." so it kinda safe to say that being a dick is the point of the game; you are essentially the evil bad guy's rules lawyer, lawyering things as you see fit or fits withing the rules of evil bad guy's.

And your New Vegas point reminds me of second (unpopular?) opinion:

New Vegas "ruined" Obsidian Entertainment; but the blame is on the fan's court, mostly.

Everything will be held and compared against it and Obsidian can't quite escape the shadow of "THE BEST GAEM LIEK EVVEER". If it ain't New Vegas, it's just not as good as it could-should-would be.

Shame, really.
I just feel like there could/should have been more... reluctant decisions to make. Like having your character definitively acknowledge that they hate both of the decisions. And just a 3rd option where you try to be a good guy and get killed, game over, etc. That kind of thing would have been a very Obsidian option to throw in, although probably impractical to add to all in-game decisions. (Again, I still need to actually play the game. Only 2 hours in, an half of that was probably character creation and the intro minigame thing)

And I agree 100% on New Vegas "ruining" Obsidian in terms of setting the bar too high. I am very much guilty of falling into this line of thinking in some (a lot) of ways. 🙃

There's no info on the budgets for FO3 or NV afaik, but I don't think it's a stretch to say Obsidian on their own won't come close to the kind of budget they probably had with NV.

modern_moron

Jun 11, 2020

The ones in Dark Cloud were some of my favorites. I was super disappointed they got cut in the sequel.

Reactions: Roager