Comic Book watchtower

Vincentdante

Jul 2, 2020
This is a thread for comic book related discussions. Have a picture of one of my comics to get things going.

20200703_003618.jpg

Do you guys have a favorite? Got questions? Is Sandman overrated (you monster)? Maybe want to get into comics but don't know where to start? Here is a place to call home.

As for me I'm currently looking to get the Astonishing X-men Omnibus reprint while it's in stock to add to my Marvel collection. But I really want a War of Kings omni reprint because that sold out fast.

Vincentdante

Jul 2, 2020
This thread is just going to be me talking to myself isn't it?

I just finished reading Infinty War Aftermath the tpb. Great book to lead into Infinity Crusade, Warlock and the Infinity Watch and the Silver Surfer issues were the definite highlights but Jim Starlin is a great writer so no surprises there. Thinking of starting Green Lantern by Geoff Johns Omnibus for my next read.

taterchimp

Jun 8, 2020
Iowa
Not sure if it counts, but Berserk Deluxe Edition 5 is coming in the next week or so, and I'm super excited for it. 4 leaves off just after the Eclipse.

Also, keeping an eye on Chainsaw Man in October, I think.

Reactions: modern_moron

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
There's a great deal on Humble Bundle if you use digital comics. Contains the masterpiece The Incal (my personal favorite graphic novel) as well as the spin off Metabarons and a ton of comics written by Jodoworski. There's also Metal Hurlants (also known as Heavy Metal, yes, that Heavy Metal. The ones in the bundle aren't the ones from the 70/80, but are still damn good) and for you pervs there's a couple by Milo Manara (lot's of nudity but damn beautiful art). Possibly the best comic bundle Humble has done to date. Definitely give it a go, especially if you've never read The Incal.

Reactions: Vincentdante

AllCutUp1136

Jul 4, 2020
This is a thread for comic book related discussions. Have a picture of one of my comics to get things going.

View attachment 590

Do you guys have a favorite? Got questions? Is Sandman overrated (you monster)? Maybe want to get into comics but don't know where to start? Here is a place to call home.

As for me I'm currently looking to get the Astonishing X-men Omnibus reprint while it's in stock to add to my Marvel collection. But I really want a War of Kings omni reprint because that sold out fast.
DC Black Label... always goes down smooth...
Isn't this the imprint with the now-(in)famous Bat Dick panel?

Vincentdante

Jul 2, 2020
There's a great deal on Humble Bundle if you use digital comics. Contains the masterpiece The Incal (my personal favorite graphic novel) as well as the spin off Metabarons and a ton of comics written by Jodoworski. There's also Metal Hurlants (also known as Heavy Metal, yes, that Heavy Metal. The ones in the bundle aren't the ones from the 70/80, but are still damn good) and for you pervs there's a couple by Milo Manara (lot's of nudity but damn beautiful art). Possibly the best comic bundle Humble has done to date. Definitely give it a go, especially if you've never read The Incal.

Thanks for the tip, that's a good deal. I've not used humble for comics before does it use comixology to deliver?

DC Black Label... always goes down smooth...
Isn't this the imprint with the now-(in)famous Bat Dick panel?

Yeah it was Batman: Damned to be precise where we see the sillouette of the batwang (you don't really see anything though). Although on that topic now looking at the black label line it does seem to be made up of 99% Bat, hmm. Since this is the replacement for Vertigo I sure hope we see more original stuff.

Last edited:

modern_moron

Gold Standard in Stupidity
Jun 11, 2020
Not sure if it counts, but Berserk Deluxe Edition 5 is coming in the next week or so, and I'm super excited for it. 4 leaves off just after the Eclipse.

Also, keeping an eye on Chainsaw Man in October, I think.
I specifically waited for book 5 to release so I could have a nice pile of Berserk to re-read

November is a decent way off before book 6 :(

Anyone here a Hellsing fan? Been curious about it for a while and it also has similarly bound deluxe editions. Thinking about grabbing the first one soonish.

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
Thanks for the tip, that's a good deal. I've not used humble for comics before does it use comixology to deliver?

Unfortunately no. You can download the drm-free .cbz, .pdf, or .epub. I use Comicat app on my tablet and the .cbz file for comics I get from Humble. It doesn't have that snazzy guided panel view like Comixology but it's still a great comic viewer. I think it's a €3 purchase. Worth the price as other free viewers I've used are lacking in image clarity and organization.

I really wish Comixology let you import your own comic files so I could keep my library all in one place. Oh well...

modern_moron

Gold Standard in Stupidity
Jun 11, 2020

I finished volume 5 of the Berserk Deluxe Edition and now I have to wait until November. 😤

Also I really need to head up into the attic and bring down a few boxes of graphic novels, but I'm afraid they might have gotten moldy by now and I'm too afraid to find out.

I had planned on bringing them down once the weather warmed up in spring and... yeah it never happened.

Vincentdante

Jul 2, 2020
Fuck

I finished volume 5 of the Berserk Deluxe Edition and now I have to wait until November. 😤

Also I really need to head up into the attic and bring down a few boxes of graphic novels, but I'm afraid they might have gotten moldy by now and I'm too afraid to find out.

I had planned on bringing them down once the weather warmed up in spring and... yeah it never happened.

In theory they should be ok so long as they weren't stored in a damp environment. (I keep a disposable humidifier near my comics in winter)

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
Been getting into graphic novels again and have been re-reading some of my favorites (digitally now) like The Incal, The Maxx, and Maus lately. I just finished reading SAGA last night and holy fuck what a great story! Can't wait till they get working on the 2nd half!
Anyhoo, I was wondering what you would consider essential reading in the medium? I want to educate myself on the best of the best. I have Fables, Sandman, and The Watchmen queued up and want to buy a few more essentials.