Gears of War 3 licenses being removed on Xbox One?

robo

Jul 5, 2020
UPDATE: Game is back on my account. MAGIC!

I just ran into this problem today, and noticed other people on Reddit were having the same problem.

Microsoft at some point in the last few days has apparently removed peoples' license to digital copies of Gears of War 3.

I got mine along with Gears of War 1, 2, and Judgement as part of that bundle they did for buying Gears of War 4 near launch.

Anyway Gears of War 3, and only 3 is now gone from my account, as if I never owned it.

If I try to click on it via the Xbox One or the Xbox website, it only installs via Game Pass, or prompts me to rebuy it. Here's the kicker; when I click to rebuy it on the Xbox website, it takes me to the old 360 Marketplace site, where that still says I own it.

I've been going around in circles with Microsoft's tech support, but haven't made any progress in getting my game back.

Anyone else having this problem?

Seems like it might be worth a story on Destructoid, especially if they can help people get their game back.

Last edited:

robo

Jul 5, 2020
I don't have any of the Gears games, so I can't say for sure. Doing a cursory Google search, it seems like this isn't a new problem.

That appears to be a slightly different problem. That appears to be people talking about not being able to redeem a code.

Mine was redeemed and playable for years. Microsoft just took away my license for it (and the licenses of others) as discussed here:

and here: