How Often Do You Finish Games?

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
I always notice that trophies and achievements for finishing games is ridiculously low meaning that very few people actually finish the games they buy. I try to finish everything I play unless I'm not enjoying it. Even if it takes me years.
How about you all? Do you always try to finish your games? What's the point when you give up on one?

Scrustle

May 11, 2020
I'm pretty good at finishing games. I do with most games I play. Not that I'll keep playing a game that I don't like just to finish it (unless it's very short), but I tend to be good at sticking with stuff once I've started. I like to see things through properly. I found that a big thing that helps motivate me to finish stuff is keeping a record of what I complete, usually with a little bit of thoughts on the game to go along with it.

May 11, 2020
Fraxia 112
Depends on the game, unless I really don't like it, I will at least try to beat it. Games I enjoy I try to put at least the hour amount as I spent on it, even if it takes quite some time. Then there are games that I just keep coming back to. The last game I bought that I didn't. enjoy that I finished begrudgingly was red dead 2, Fallout 4 also falls into that category for me.

I enjoyed weegi's mansion 3 but I didn't like it as much as the first so I'm struggling to go back and collect everything, but I will eventually.

Torchman

Mecha Lord of Dtoid
Staff member
Robot
Apr 15, 2020
Almost always. Because of the currency exchange and a 10+% tax, games are like 90+ in Canada. And since most non-Nintendo games lose value fast, trade in or trying to sell it just feels like money lost. Also means I'm slightly pickier than usual. Only incomplete games on my shelf/collection are
  • Sekiro - that difficulty spike/curve turned out worse than Bloodbornes with less tools to mitigate it
  • Yakuza 5's PS4 remaster - beat the PS3 version, had gotten the collection mainly for 3 and to have all of them on one console
  • Shin Megami Tensei IV - Don't care to game on the 3DS anymore and I don't remember where I am at this point
  • Monster Hunter World - keep meaning to co-op with Prins and Frosty but forgetting to...

Reactions: MajorTomsCoffeeCup

Kerrik52

May 11, 2020
Unless the game pisses me off so much that I can't bear the thought of thinking about it anymore, I'll finish it. Gotta fuel the blog mill and broaden my horizons somehow. Games of that ilk that come to mind are Drakengard 3 and Valdis Story: Abyssal City. I'll never finish those fucking things.

Just Aaron

May 19, 2020
100% of the time if I paid for it. Their is a chance I won`t finish it if I got the game for free or played it on Game Pass.

Heat

May 10, 2020
Im pretty bad at finishing games, overall. I tend to stop either right at the end or when i got frustrated. My friends tell me its some kind of psychological problem :(

May 10, 2020
The excel spreadsheet I use to track my finished games, which I started recording in Jan. 2017, lists 387 completed titles. May of this year has 22 listings.

I have an addiction.

sweaty dungus

Thickened-up hunk
May 11, 2020
A game has to really hook me in order to finish it. The AAA games I actually beat last year were Death Stranding, Sekiro, FE: Three Houses, RE2. Maybe a few others I'm forgetting. I generally finish indie games all the time though because they're often short.

Sam

Village Idiot
May 17, 2020
I always notice that trophies and achievements for finishing games is ridiculously low meaning that very few people actually finish the games they buy. I try to finish everything I play unless I'm not enjoying it. Even if it takes me years.
How about you all? Do you always try to finish your games? What's the point when you give up on one?
ALL. THE. TIME.

Which is hardly a point of pride and more a testament to my own anxiety and irrational-discipline. It bothers and nags at me to no end to start and not finish something (whether a book or game; I wouldn't even dream [hey wow the forum let's me command+i for italics!] of starting and not finishing a movie!), so I've got to see it through.

I allow myself like three games tops to be put down if I'm really not feeling them (last year's obituary included Paper Mario, XCOM 2, and Dragon Quest VIII, may they ride eternal, shiny and chrome) but otherwise I'm in it to win it.

Xeo

May 10, 2020
To be completely honest, rarely. I'm the definition of a "Jack of all trades" kinda guy. I like to dabble in many things, but rarely ever finish or be the best in any of them. There are exceptions of course, but for instance, the last game I've actually completely finished was probably Streets of Rage 4, and only because it's a beat 'em up and it's hard not to finish them if you enjoy them. Before that it was probably...uh...Days Gone maybe?

I start a lot of games, and in some cases even get most of the way through them before putting them down to play something else. In some cases I actually just completely lose interest, such as with Zelda: BotW. I realized I was letting the hype surrounding that game at launch propel me through it. Because in the end I found I don't actually like the game that much overall. But then there are games that I legitimately love and still don't finish...lol. A more recent example of that has been the FF7 remake. I'm damn impressed by how good that has turned out...but I still haven't finished it.

Reactions: RiffRaff

Vesalius

Village Idiot
May 10, 2020
North Carolina
50/50 I guess. When I was younger, I would beat and replay games a lot. I stopped playing video games for about ten years and then got back into it. At first, I was very adamant about finishing games, but I’ve now loosened up on that a lot.

There are a lot more options now from when i was younger and I liked to ask myself from time to time when playing a game, “am I having fun?” Some games just feel like work, and I don’t have time or interest in that. Plenty of games in the backlog or on sale to try out.

Also, once I finish something, I’m very unmotivated to start it all over again, so I rarely replay stuff anymore.

May 13, 2020
Almost always. Because of the currency exchange and a 10+% tax, games are like 90+ in Canada. And since most non-Nintendo games lose value fast, trade in or trying to sell it just feels like money lost. Also means I'm slightly pickier than usual. Only incomplete games on my shelf/collection are
  • Sekiro - that difficulty spike/curve turned out worse than Bloodbornes with less tools to mitigate it
  • Yakuza 5's PS4 remaster - beat the PS3 version, had gotten the collection mainly for 3 and to have all of them on one console
  • Shin Megami Tensei IV - Don't care to game on the 3DS anymore and I don't remember where I am at this point
  • Monster Hunter World - keep meaning to co-op with Prins and Frosty but forgetting to...
I force myself to finish games for the same reasons you mentioned. That means I am also very picky about each game I buy, only pre ordering something I know I'll love. In the last few years, the only games I bought at launch were Red Dead 2 (bought together with my brother 50/50) and Persona 5 Royal.

Reactions: Torchman

✨ Matt ✨

Garbage Pail Kid
May 10, 2020
I give up like multiples more games than I beat, lol. I usually just play games until another one grabs me and then cycle them in and out until I eventually beat one. Keeps things varied, too!

Roager

Rogue Ogre
May 11, 2020
I give up like multiples more games than I beat, lol. I usually just play games until another one grabs me and then cycle them in and out until I eventually beat one. Keeps things varied, too!
This. I bounce between games much faster than I can actually finish them. "Someday I'll come back to this and finish it."

But no. I won't.

DeScruff

The Giant Rat That Makes All of the Rules
May 11, 2020
The Internet!
I'm... pretty bad at finishing games.
Games I don't finish usually fall in 1 of 3 categories
  1. I binge on it to the point I need a break, or life forces me to take a break (job exc). - And after that break... I have a hard time returning due to difficulty, story, exc.
    This happens ALL the time with games like Etrian Odyssey

2. The ending of the game is genuinely not as good as the beginning or middle bits.
    Sometimes the end of the game just feels so... slapped together... and throws away the fun and interesting things about the game.

3. I genuinely just didn't care for the game that much.
Number 2 is by far the most common for me.
The ending of a game gets a stupidly high difficulty spike, or becomes a grindfest. Oh those interesting stories, side quests, locations, mechanics? Na how about a Boss rehash and rush. Or how about we over complicate the game to the point you question how the hell you got here to begin with.