--Movie Thread-- Post movies you've recently seen/reviews/recommendations/ask for recommendations

sleepyfunn

Jun 30, 2020
I just saw Project Power on Netflix. The premise was super interesting but for some reason they threw in a "Taken" plot in there as well and it bogs down the story so hard. I wanted to see more of the world but all I got was "Hey have you seen my daughter? No? Hey you there have YOU seen my daughter?"

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
Finally saw The Cabin in the Woods tonight, and it's fantastic! A must for all horror fans!
Cabin in the Woods is an absolute classic! Love that movie.

Mandy gets a huge recommendation from me. It's basically LSD and doom metal on celluloid. An absolute must for fans of horror, revenge, and exploitation flicks. It's also Nicholas Cage's best film to date!

I also recommend Blinded by the Light. It's a fun feel-good film about a Pakistani teenager growing up in England and how the music of Bruce Springsteen inspired him. I'm a huge fan of Springsteen, so maybe that had some influence on how much I enjoyed it, but still, definitely worth watching if you need a smile.

And I'm a big Will Ferrell fan and found Eurovision on Netflix to be one of his best. Stupid, braindead, irreverent, and heartwarming; just how I like his films :)

My wife and I watched The Lovebirds on Netflix last night because it has Kumail Nanjiani (Silicone Valley, The Big Sick) in it and I quite enjoyed it. Laughed a lot. Fun take on a romantic comedy.

Aug 9, 2020
I need to go back to my films, been a long time since I watched one 😅 The last I watched was Bulbbul, a Netflix original Indian film.

There's something eerie about Tripti Dimri's smile that is more frightening than any horror element the film presented, which wasn't much since the focus of the story falls on the romance and the drama. It attempts to introduce an investigation plot in the middle of all that but it also ends up underdeveloped. I believe this could've worked nicely as a miniseries.

The outfits, the scenarios, it's all quite beautiful, though the exaggerated use of warm colours - especially red - and the CGI can be distracting sometimes.
Bulbbul(1).jpg

Reactions: RiffRaff

modern_moron

Gold Standard in Stupidity
Jun 11, 2020
No movies recently, but I finally watched The Leftovers and holy shit.

Watching Watchmen now. Might have to finally try out Lost since I'm beginning to appreciate Lindelof's writing.

So if anyone has any recommendations for unsettling/abstract/weird Twin Peaks type stuff, send it my way pls

Aug 9, 2020
No movies recently, but I finally watched The Leftovers and holy shit.

Watching Watchmen now. Might have to finally try out Lost since I'm beginning to appreciate Lindelof's writing.

So if anyone has any recommendations for unsettling/abstract/weird Twin Peaks type stuff, send it my way pls
Have you watched Robert Eggers' The Lighthouse? Not sure how similar it is to Twin Peaks but it certainly fits in the "unsettling/abstract/weird" categories x)

modern_moron

Gold Standard in Stupidity
Jun 11, 2020
Maybe Daisies? This one I'm sure is not similar to Twin Peaks but again, it fits the other three categories x) Or, if you want to be cool, you can watch Donnie Darko xD
I'll check it out.

Actually need to rewatch Donnie Darko. Been nearly 20 years, I think.

I should just say I'm looking for David Lynch inspired stuff. Weird, abstract. Sometimes a lack of resolution/catharsis. Mysteries that are never explained.

I should also just go ahead and play Deadly Premonition. It's been installed on my PC for months now...

DtoidJordan

Administrator
Staff member
Robot
Apr 15, 2020
Does anyone else love Defending Your Life? It's become my go-to happy movie (alongside The Intern) and I've seen it a stupid amount of times.

AllCutUp1136

Jul 4, 2020
I highly recommend Palm Springs. We need as many funny movies as possible these days, and that one was deeply satisfying.
At the exact opposite of the spectrum, I rewatched Requiem for a Dream (aka, The Film that Launched a Million Trailer Soundtracks). Just needed a good hate-cry.

PatBateman17

May 12, 2020
At the exact opposite of the spectrum, I rewatched Requiem for a Dream (aka, The Film that Launched a Million Trailer Soundtracks). Just needed a good hate-cry.
Ugh. That one depressed me so hard I had to watch like three hours of The Critic to come down. Good ole Jay Sherman. What an underrated gem.

Side note - I HIGHLY recommend The Salton Sea and Spartan, both Val Kilmer bangers.

ThisIsMyBoomstick

May 20, 2020
Adelaide, South Australia
Mandy gets a huge recommendation from me. It's basically LSD and doom metal on celluloid. An absolute must for fans of horror, revenge, and exploitation flicks. It's also Nicholas Cage's best film to date!

I have owned Mandy on Bluray for over a year now and still haven't watched it because I haven't been in the right mood to watch it. That has changed now because my podcast chose to cover it this year for our Halloween episodes in October.

My recommendation is Primer an indie time travel film written and directed by a physics major:

Jun 9, 2020
UK
Oh nice, just found out there's another Tremors movie being made, and it's set on a tropical island with aquatic graboids?! Holy shit, yes please.

Reactions: Cactüs

AllCutUp1136

Jul 4, 2020
I have owned Mandy on Bluray for over a year now and still haven't watched it because I haven't been in the right mood to watch it. That has changed now because my podcast chose to cover it this year for our Halloween episodes in October.

My recommendation is Primer an indie time travel film written and directed by a physics major:
I respect Primer as an indie film, but I don't think you should need to watch a YouTube video to understand a film. Is Caruth's follow-up Upstream Color any good?

Cactüs

Swamp Creature that Smells Nice
Jun 30, 2020
I just watched Ring. I was honestly kind of disappointed by it. Was thinking about how Deathnote was similar in a way but much better. It made no sense why the character distributes the VHS! Also don't know that I've seen flatter lead characters in a long time.

I watched another not good horror romp called Lake Death(?). I think that's the name anyway, it's on Shudder. It takes about an hour to go anywhere, but once it does it becomes more interesting. Good cinematography, everyone is a Scandinavian model in it, and generally good acting. But that director needs an editor or something my God! 55 minutes to get to the point where they start turning on each other in confinement ala Day of the Dead.

Sorry to rant, I'll talk about something I actually enjoyed next time. :D