Music Recommendations

AllCutUp1136

Jul 4, 2020
For some reason, I have this song stuck in my brain this morning...

Now it's stuck in yours, too!

Xeo

May 10, 2020
I don't know how much I've talked about Falconer before, but they're one of the best underrated power metal bands to have ever existed, in my opinion. Fucking love these guys and their first album, a self-titled one is one of my favorites in the entire genre.

And one more for the road. Mathias Blad's vocals were always stellar, but I love them on this one.

• Love
Reactions: RiffRaff

modern_moron

Gold Standard in Stupidity
Jun 11, 2020
Someone please rec me good android apps for music playback (my own files)

I've stopped using Spotify because I refuse to give Daniel Ek any more money and Google Music was never all that great to begin with. (everything I use seems to be incapable of properly shuffling a library of ~7k songs)

Edit: lmao, well I just got the news that Play Music is the next thing google is abandoning. Good thing I found out before they stopped letting me download my library.

Last edited:

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
Someone please rec me good android apps for music playback (my own files)

I've stopped using Spotify because I refuse to give Daniel Ek any more money and Google Music was never all that great to begin with. (everything I use seems to be incapable of properly shuffling a library of ~7k songs)

Edit: lmao, well I just got the news that Play Music is the next thing google is abandoning. Good thing I found out before they stopped letting me download my library.
Am I a horrible person that I keep using Spotify? I do regularly buy albums from artists I enjoy on Bandcamp to show support, but for general listening I am so ingrained in Spotify I just can't kick it.
AFAIK Tidal pays the most to artists though I haven't used the app much.
I have Rocket Player on my tablet. The free version is definitely sufficient but I did toss the devs a few bucks for the full version and I feel it was worth it. It's a nice no frills app.

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
I will herald how amazing Wilderun to the ends of the Earth. Every album they've put out is nothing short of a masterpiece. Their most recent record, Veil of Imagination, has been named AotY by many quality metal reviewers (namely Angry Metal Guy) as well as their previous album, Sleep at the Edge of the Earth. They also got signed to a major label so Veil of Imagination did just get a nifty re-release. (you can still listen to the full album on Bandcamp, but you have to go to Google music or other major digital sellers to purchase)

As far as their sound, they're something unique and listening to a full record brings you through many styles and moods yet stays fluent and cohesive. They don't really write songs as they more compose albums. For band comparisons: Opeth (for the heavier edge stuff as well as the contrasting style of song composition), Blind Guardian (for the more power metal stuff and heavy symphonics throughout each song), and Devin Townsend (for the insane heights of the bombast).
I do recommend listening to the album in one sitting. It really is a cohesive work.

<iframe style="border: 0; width: 400px; height: 406px;" src="https://bandcamp.com/EmbeddedPlayer...inkcol=0687f5/artwork=small/transparent=true/" seamless><a href="">Veil of Imagination by Wilderun</a></iframe>

Edit: Hey Nekro, you know how to embed a Bandcamp player cleanly?

Reactions: Scrustle

modern_moron

Jun 11, 2020
Am I a horrible person that I keep using Spotify? I do regularly buy albums from artists I enjoy on Bandcamp to show support, but for general listening I am so ingrained in Spotify I just can't kick it.
AFAIK Tidal pays the most to artists though I haven't used the app much.
I have Rocket Player on my tablet. The free version is definitely sufficient but I did toss the devs a few bucks for the full version and I feel it was worth it. It's a nice no frills app.
Naw, I'm not that judgmental about it and I don't think most bands would fault you. I'm just an all or nothing kind of person, so with Spotify it's now nothing. Ek's comments about how artists simply need to release more music more often was personally insulting. Same logic I've gotten from underpaying jobs when my boss tells me I can just work more hours if I want more money. (I'm already at 40 hours a week, bub. And overtime on a night shift is just too much and hardly worth it for maybe 4 hours worth of overtime you'll actually let me work)

I was on the fence the past two years anyway. Only reason I kept premium was because of the free (basic) Hulu. Recommendations just got to be worthless. It would just throw random crap at me because I don't think they spend any time working on their algorithms for the genres I listen to. Plus the album info was frequently wrong and random unrelated garbage under the same artist name would pop up under a band I listened to and their process for getting it fixed is asinine.

I checked out Tidal and it's lacking in what I listen to. Same goes for Napster, who seem to be the ones paying the most per play (big lol after the big kerfluffle 20 years ago)

I think I'm gonna try out Poweramp tho. Just need a fat SD card for my phone and I'm set (aside from catching up with all the music I don't actually own) Maybe Plex down the line.

Also, shoutout to Google for just downloading my 7k song library into one big unsorted folder. Thank you so much.

END RANT HERE'S A SONG

modern_moron

Jun 11, 2020
That was the one thing I loved about streaming services. 15 years back Pandora was a big part of me getting into a lot of what I listen to now, then Last.fm to a slightly lesser extent.

I can probably count on one hand the number of artists Spotify brought to my attention. Hell, Pandora was still doing a better job at recommending me stuff just two years ago at my last job.

The algorithms are so shitty there were blatantly obvious bands it should have been putting on my playlists that were left out for years. Stuff I'd simply forgotten about that, because I'd never manually played anything, went ignored.

The weekly recommendations playlist got to be worthless about a year into my premium subscription.

Maybe I'll give Pandora and Last.fm another shot, actually. At least for finding new stuff.

zatoseyes

May 11, 2020
For the small percentage of unaware and interested parties, Goblin Cock released a 20 minute rock opera appropriately titled Dragonfucker. It's amazing and I love it.

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
Any Aesop Rock fans 'round here?
I keep finding myself returning the the Malibu Ken Aesop/Tobacco collab album. I really hope this isn't just a one off thing. These two really have great chemistry.