Sections you despise in games you like?

Cygnus Rush 961

Apex Hitter and Tire Eater
Jun 9, 2020
Tacoma, WA
Short road circuit courses in Forza Horizon's 3&4, especially if they're part of a series of championships. They're full of tight corners, short race length (3 laps), which hampers even a well tuned hot-hatch. To borrow a phrase from AVGN "What the hell were they thinking?!"

Last edited:

Nekro

Totally Wholesome Magical Girl
Staff member
Robot
Feb 14, 2020
Timed segments in games are usually really hit and miss for me, and most of those are misses.

For instance, I love a good Metroid escape sequence. But those are timed in such a way that they’re really lenient towards the player, with the countdown existing to create a sense of urgency and excitement.

Other times, however, they can feel like a way to artificially pad out the difficulty. I like the Jak and Daxter series, but it’s kind of a great example of this. The strip mine in Jak II’s timer just felt arbitrary, and I found myself getting annoyed at the character of Daxter for creating the situation that led to it plot-wise in the first place.

So yeah.

DeScruff

The Giant Rat That Makes All of the Rules
May 11, 2020
The Internet!
hmmm... Team Rocket at Radio Tower in Pokemon G/S/C
Its just unnecessary padding that adds nothing really to the game. And it isn't helped that 99% of the time you JUST dealt with Team Rocket. just minutes before.

I have a feeling the game designers intended you to face Team Rocket in Mahogany town earlier in the game - Like right after you beat the 4th gym leader and gain the ability to use Surf. This would be proper pacing. But most players do not head towards Mahogany town, because why would you? The next two gyms are in the opposite direction. So you end up dealing with Team Rocket in Mahogany, beating the Mahogany gym, then walking out only to find you need to deal with Team rocket AGAIN.

Nova

Certified Nobody
Jul 1, 2020
Alpine Skyline in A Hat in Time. It's gorgeous and has some nifty platforming challenges, but the near-complete lack of story and characters that make the rest of the game so charming leaves it feeling really empty and honestly kind of dull. Thankfully if you have the Nyakuza Metro DLC, you can skip it and just play that area instead.