Steam Summer Sale: Share Your Purchases and Reccomendations!!!

D-Volt

Haruspex/Menkhu
May 10, 2020
It's that time of year again, kids. That's right, it's The Steam Summer Sale! Ready to fill that backlog up with more games you'll likely never get around to playing? Sure you are!

I figured I'd start a thread dedicated to sharing Steam Summer Sale purchases and maybe highlight the lesser known deals you think some of your fellow Dtoiders might enjoy.

I'll start with my only purchase of the sale thus far. I made this comment on the Destructoid article about the sale, so I'll just repost it here:

One of my reccomendations for the Steam Summer Sale is Spin Rhythm XD. It's on sale for $15.00 (normally $20). I bought it today and its super fun. It's got a visual style and gameplay philosophy that's reminiscent of classic Japanese arcade rhythm games and the soundtrack of licensed EDM songs is surprisingly well curated.

It's an Early Access title, but the devs are super responsive, there are updates with new songs and fixes every month, and it's very stable even at this stage (I run it perfectly with 60fps on a Alienware PC from 2014).

I'm extremely hard to please when it comes to rhythm games and this one is killer. It's got a Switch port planned for later this year if you'd rather wait for that version.

So, did you buy anything on the first day of the Summer Sale? Notice any deals peeps be sleepin' on? Let the people know.

LET THE SUMMER BEGIN!

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
I got dead space 2 and 3 along with some dlc for various games. Ive never actually finished dead space 2 and i wanna see the dead space 3 ending with my own eyes lol.
DS2 is by far the best of the trilogy and is very much worth seeing to the end. I also really liked DS3 even though most seem to hate it. I was contemplating getting DS3 on Steam because my copy is on EA's Origin and I have no desire to ever install that launcher on my laptop ever again.

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
Got Shadow Tactics and Mark of the Ninja HD upgrade. I'm still deciding on my next purchase which will be either Obra Dinn and Danganronpa (don't know which bundle to get: trilogy, 1+2, 1+2+Ultra Despair Girls, or just get the first one to see if I like the series) or Obra Dinn and Trials of Cold Steel 1. I'm gauging how much anime I can handle since I'm currently playing Persona 4 and have 2 more games in the Zero Escape trilogy to play.

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
For recommendations I couldn't recommend Disco Elysium enough. It's got a 25% discount (€30) and it's worth every penny. There is a lot of reading but the writing is so good and it's written in a way where it always feels brisk and enthralling. Probably the closest a video game has gotten to replicating the experience of playing a table top RPG with a seasoned DM but made even more impacting through the unique nature of video games (visual, audio, all that stuff). Buy it, play it, love it! Was my GotY 2019 without even a smidgen of second thought.

I also recommend Hades for you rougelite fans. 20% off (€16,79). It's still in early access but it's more packed and polished than the vast majority of rougelites out there. I like to describe it as Diablo by way of Platinum Games with that SuperGiant art, storytelling, and charm we've all come to love. The action is fast and movement is critical. Progression is balanced great and the difficulty is done in the traditional SG way and Hades uses it the best. It also runs outstanding on my kinda-potato laptop. Controller is highly recommended. In a year when FF7R, TLoU2, and Cyberpunk are releasing, Hades is still a strong contender for my GotY 2020!

Reactions: sweaty dungus

Kerrik52

May 11, 2020
I've bought my must-haves already, so just like last year, I'm not really tempted by anything. I was gonna get the Remnant: From The Ashes DLC, but it didn't go on sale. I have been craving some survival-horror, so I might get the Dead Space 2&3 DLC on PSN, since their standard prices are pretty cheap.

As far as random recommendations go:

Tokyo Xanadu is 55 hours of action-JRPG for $11.

System Shock 2 goes for $2.5

Assault Spy is an indie character action game for $12.

Binary Domain is a solid shooter by Team Yakuza for $3.

DMC4SE goes for $10 now.

Fairy Bloom Freesia, a 2d indie character action game for $4.

Hollow Knight only costs $8, buy it! Buy it twice!

Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight for $4, also a good metroidvania.

Remember Me is pretty neat for $6.

All the modern Resident Evil games are cheap.

Vanquish only costs $5.

There, that should keep ya busy.

zatoseyes

May 11, 2020
I'm kinda broke, but I still picked up Skullgirls, Pool Panic, and Duke 3D. More importantly I spent my points on a Guilty Gear Isuka background and now my profile looks like this:
Capture.JPG

Reactions: RiffRaff

PhilKenSebben

Lord of Loss
Staff member
Robot
Apr 15, 2020
Cali
DS2 is by far the best of the trilogy and is very much worth seeing to the end. I also really liked DS3 even though most seem to hate it. I was contemplating getting DS3 on Steam because my copy is on EA's Origin and I have no desire to ever install that launcher on my laptop ever again.

Hate to break it to ya, but no point mate. It still launches Origin. Almost made the same mistake then read the forums.

Roager

Rogue Ogre
May 11, 2020
I'm looking at Agents of Mayhem, it always seemed better than it got credit for. Doom 64 for cheap is a nobrainer. There's a few others I'm considering, like Red Faction: Guerilla and Distance. We'll see what I end up sticking with.

I didn't want to want Spin Rhythm, but now I do.

Also Mount and Blade Warband is $5 and if you don't have it just get it. Ive put 20-30 hours into it in about a week and I'm barely getting started. I can't believe I'm this late to this party. (I can totally believe it)

Last edited:

PhilKenSebben

Lord of Loss
Staff member
Robot
Apr 15, 2020
Cali
I'm looking at Agents of Mayhem, it always seemed better than it got credit for. Doom 64 for cheap is a nobrainer. There's a few others I'm considering, like Red Faction: Guerilla and Distance. We'll see what I end up sticking with.

Agents is the best GI Joe game ever. A lot of silly fun.

Spaceloaf

Jun 22, 2020
Hate to break it to ya, but no point mate. It still launches Origin. Almost made the same mistake then read the forums.

I think this is such BS. Same goes for Ubisoft games which still use UPlay, or even GTA5 needing a Rockstar account.

Part of using Steam should be knowing that you are only depending on their platform. I can't wait until the day that you buy a Steam game and in the fine print it says "requires Epic Games account."

Valve just really seems to have no principles when it comes to their storefront. It's just like DRM; Valve doesn't even put DRM on their own games, but if someone else wants to load up on rootkit anti-cheat and Denuvo, Valve has no problems with it.

D-Volt

Haruspex/Menkhu
May 10, 2020

Sorry! Had to share the fun. I've enjoyed it waaay more than I was expecting.

Only one thing that annoys me: you can use .OGG sound files to create custom charts for whatever songs you want. There's an unofficial fan made repository that let's players upload and share those custom charts.

The annoying part? 90% of those uploaded tracks are made by rhythm game savants so the charts are nearly impossible for 99% of players. Really wish more players would make intermediate custom charts.

Even after playing DJMax games for over a decade I'm not at that level. Some rhythm game players are like machines and I don't know how that's even possible.

Reactions: Roager
May 14, 2020
Saw Running With Rifles is €3 and €5 with the dlc may get that game looks like a blast and it has good workshoo support. If the S.T.A.L.K.E.R games are on sale or Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines is on sale check them out Pathlogical 1 HD always get a sale of like €1 worth a look at I would say.

Dreggsao

May 11, 2020
Berlin
Haven't bought anything yet. You should buy One Finger Death Punch 2 for you and all your friends. It is 2$. Also if you don't care for Soccer (or as it should be called in america International Football) you should get Behold the Kickmen. And if you aren't as poor as I am and can actually afford some stuff get Pathologic 2 so the developer can survive a bit longer and actually finish the 2 campaigns the game is still missing.

Vesalius

Village Idiot
May 10, 2020
North Carolina
I scooped up Dead Space 3 (and the story DLC), Titanfall 2, the rest of the Battletech DLC I didn’t have, and the new Blood game (on fanatical for $1).

Not sure if I’ll get anything else, but I still have money in the steam wallet to burn.

PhilKenSebben

Lord of Loss
Staff member
Robot
Apr 15, 2020
Cali
I picked up the Dead Island redo. Wanted to slay some janky zombies in the pretty sun again. Also got BDSM for the $3 I got from selling cards. Looks like a decent twin stick with awful humor and demon tiddies. Theres a couple more from my wishlist that I want to grab, but we will see if I can make another 10 or 20 to get them. Have a bunch of recycling I'm taking in tomorrow, all aluminum, so maybe.

Reactions: Vesalius

sweaty dungus

Thickened-up hunk
May 11, 2020
So many. This is my first Steam sale since 2015, when I took a very lengthy break away from PC gaming.

Let's see...

Black Mesa
Maximum Action
Thief II
Prey (2017)
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Deus Ex Human Revolution
DOOM (2016)
Heretic
Hexen
Hexen II
Hylics
River City Ransom: Underground
High Hell
Devolver Bootleg
and a bunch of other cheap Valve games I've played already (why not): L4D1+2, HL2, Portal 2

Most of these I have played in the past actually. Spending wisely, as you can see.