Summer Games Fest

RolanberryPrins

Aggressive Crybaby
May 10, 2020
So every award show and conference has been cancelled, but the folks behind The Game Awards are putting together a digital one? Except it's 9 event streams over 4 months so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It's pretty darn confusing. Here is a place for reactions and Hype.

5eb0bfbee436564fc0ab5ce1_dustglobe_wide_1920_3_opt.jpg

MAY

12 // View it Here Announced Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1+2
Releasing September with early access to levels with pre-order
13 // Twitch | Youtube 11AM ET/ 8AM PT
Announcing ??? Apparently a large showcase
14 // Twitch | Youtube 4PM ET/ 1PM PT
18 minute update on Ghosts of Tsushima
JUNE

9 - 14 // Steam Summer Sale Summer Game Festival
11 //Twitch | Youtube
5eb19f0b0de4168f55285f3a_cyberpunk.png
A CyberPunk 2077 check - in. Time TBD
Same Day:
11// 7PM ET/ 4PM PT EA PLAY Live
July & August I'll add closer to time. As we go through I'll update this post with archive videos & a list of what was announced. You can see the schedule for yourself at the Summer Games Fest Official Website

What are you most excited for? I'm interested in seeing how Ghosts of Tsushima is looking and I'm always a slut for more Cyberpunk news.

Reactions: RiffRaff

TheBlondeBass

No longer virtual
Robot
May 10, 2020
Québec
I'm not a marketing professional, but if this isn't a real game I think people would be more interested to see a variety of different themes than a long take on a theme when it comes to tech demos.

For example, the lighting shifting across the statues in a sand world, then something a bit more sci-fi, then something a bit more macabre, then something showcasing how the features can still be useful for a more cartoony look. Would make more sense no?

RolanberryPrins

Aggressive Crybaby
May 10, 2020
Unreal Engine 5 looks neat af. But my notes are like I wonder how hot the PS5 gets? and "Will billions of triangles, pixel accurate shadows and lighting and chaos animation still work at super high FPS like XBSX keeps pushing?" Or Is this going to be what PS5/XB differ on - high graphic fidelity but lower FPS or High FPS with some compromise on graphic detail. Personally (hot take alert) I don't care about super-high FPS. I think there's diminishing returns to pushing past 100fps for the end consumer.

Love that it's a live demo off the dev kit and fully playable.

But this tech does make a lot of sense with how often you see Unreal being used in TV/Film now (Mandolorian comes to mind) and I wonder if they used those cinematic experiences as a test bed for UE5. If it's as easy for artists to input models and change aspects as they say I think we're in for a new wave of CGI movies/anime.

I wish they would have shown her face more. Her character model wasn't super "realistic" like they just imported the face capture - her features were exaggerated but I definitely wanted to see more of her microexpressions since that's where a lot of graphics lose me. Environments have looked really, really good for a while but pushing past that uncanny valley for the face is a huge hurdle.

OOh they're talking about transmedia and they're making a point to say content creators of all types to use film quality assets. I hope they push access for all levels.

RolanberryPrins

Aggressive Crybaby
May 10, 2020
I'm not a marketing professional, but if this isn't a real game I think people would be more interested to see a variety of different themes than a long take on a theme when it comes to tech demos.

For example, the lighting shifting across the statues in a sand world, then something a bit more sci-fi, then something a bit more macabre, then something showcasing how the features can still be useful for a more cartoony look. Would make more sense no?

Yeah, I think that would be nice but I can also see, if it's an actual demo game, just focusing on one 'story' and then having a sizzle reel with other genres/settings

Reactions: TheBlondeBass

RolanberryPrins

Aggressive Crybaby
May 10, 2020
"Remove the walled garden - but stay in our yard plskthx"

They really need to put subtitles on the footage they're using with where the footage is coming from (and who's talking, especially when they switch to a full screen webcam) Where was that face from? was it UE5?

Last edited:

RolanberryPrins

Aggressive Crybaby
May 10, 2020
Hm, I had seen this hyped by GK/SGF twitter as a "huge reveal" and something to not miss and it was ... okay? Like, yeah, it looks great but I was really expecting something else at they end like " X confirms new game Y will release on UE5 ". just for something to get excited for with this new engine. But does seem really neat and I'm all for things that make it easier on developers and artists. Putting more of the fiddly bits on the engine means less things to crunch over. I just wish there was something more than a redone fortnite to look forward to. I liked what they were saying about tools access to all levels of dev teams but time will tell.

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
I want more Cyberpunk news, but I also don't want more Cyberpunk news. I've had good success going into the big games released recently blind so far and the effort has been paying off.
But yeah, hella hyped for Cyberpunk.

Reactions: RolanberryPrins

Turbokill

May 12, 2020
I want more Cyberpunk news, but I also don't want more Cyberpunk news. I've had good success going into the big games released recently blind so far and the effort has been paying off.
But yeah, hella hyped for Cyberpunk.

After the last bit of Cyberpunk news went full "Also cocks," I think I'm good on new reveals.

Someone just wake me up when the game comes out. I can't wait for this game to convince me that my 2080/i7-9700k isn't enough.

Reactions: RiffRaff

RolanberryPrins

Aggressive Crybaby
May 10, 2020
I can't update the first post anymore T_T which I suppose makes sense. but since I can't:

Ghosts of Tsushima looks dope af. I can pet a fox. Game of the Year 10/10. Cyberpunk whomst?

But seriously, I love the cinematic mode, I love the fact that you can just ask the wind where you're supposed to go and then fuck off in some other random direction. The fact that you get a horse that looks like an actual horse and not a plastic toy horse (yes, DQ11, I'm that petty). I liked this game when I first saw it and I'm still excited for it now. And even the aggro-mode of play doesn't look as...complicated? as something like Sekiro? I'm down for kind of a slower, moves-not-combos style of fighting. Though I'm probably just going to be sneaking the entire time.

Turbokill

May 12, 2020
It looked really derivative of Assassin's Creed Odyssey/Origins, including combat, but fortunately I never liked the series until those games came out. It's definitely gonna be a fun game.

Despite the similarity, I can see GoT being much better. You can pet a fox!