The Great Food Pic Thread

Boxman214

World's Okayest Chef
May 10, 2020
Yesterday I made some guacamole. Might not look special in the pic. But it was good!

We had a several avocado's (mostly because of the grocery store screwing up my online order for grocery pickup). I wanted to use them and I thought guacamole would be nice. We also have a bunch of sweet Vidalia onions. So I cupped one up, and put it in the fridge in a bowl covered with apple cider vinegar for a few hours. I drained it. I smashes up the avocado. Threw in a few spoonfuls of the pickled onion. I also cracked open a can of diced green chiles and out some of them in. Then I squeezed a lime in. Put some kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper.

It was bomb! I've only made guac once or twice before, and I've used recipes when I've done it. This was my first time improvising it. I'm extremely proud of myself. I think it shows how much I've learned the past few years about cooking.

IMG_20200602_174406014.jpg

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
Yesterday I made some guacamole. Might not look special in the pic. But it was good!

We had a several avocado's (mostly because of the grocery store screwing up my online order for grocery pickup). I wanted to use them and I thought guacamole would be nice. We also have a bunch of sweet Vidalia onions. So I cupped one up, and put it in the fridge in a bowl covered with apple cider vinegar for a few hours. I drained it. I smashes up the avocado. Threw in a few spoonfuls of the pickled onion. I also cracked open a can of diced green chiles and out some of them in. Then I squeezed a lime in. Put some kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper.

It was bomb! I've only made guac once or twice before, and I've used recipes when I've done it. This was my first time improvising it. I'm extremely proud of myself. I think it shows how much I've learned the past few years about cooking.

View attachment 430
I never thought to add some apple vinegar to my guac! Definitely gonna try that next time!
I've been told my guac is the best anyone ever had. I just used the incredibly basic recipe I got from one of the Mexican's who worked in my kitchen. They told me the secret is to mash the avocado with your hands. And honestly, it does make that slight difference that brings your guac from great to awesome!
I also made guac with a few drops of truffle oil. Holy shitballs was that bomb!!!
God I love guac!!!!

And I'm so happy you are learning and enjoying cooking :)

• Love
Reactions: Boxman214

Sam

Village Idiot
May 17, 2020
Oh man, I finally made this baingan matar masala. My first foray into cooking Indian food (top three cuisines, though I’m mostly ignorant of regional distinctions...) from scratch...

And it was real good!

Attachments

• 8C390C3D-DEF9-4363-8537-54A8F1AD16B9.jpeg
    8C390C3D-DEF9-4363-8537-54A8F1AD16B9.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 319

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
Oh man, I finally made this baingan matar masala. My first foray into cooking Indian food (top three cuisines, though I’m mostly ignorant of regional distinctions...) from scratch...

And it was real good!
I loooooove Indian food!
One of my favorite dishes to make at home is Aloo Gobi which is basically potatoes, cauliflower, and RiffRaff's special curry mix (dried coconut, powdered chili pepper, dried garlic, dried onion, and a bit or standard masala curry powder), fresh coriander, and a squeeze of lemon before serving. If they're in season I like to add some fresh peas too :)

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
Soy/teriyaki rice, lemon pepper asparagus, and some ginger, white pepper, and lime chicken.View attachment 438
Ginger and asparagus. Interesting combo. Gonna have to try that one day :)
Love ginger! I put it in as much as possible! Been making my iced tea with mint and ginger lately and it's damn bomb! And ginger carrots have become a staple in my home over the years.

Sam

Village Idiot
May 17, 2020
I loooooove Indian food!
One of my favorite dishes to make at home is Aloo Gobi which is basically potatoes, cauliflower, and RiffRaff's special curry mix (dried coconut, powdered chili pepper, dried garlic, dried onion, and a bit or standard masala curry powder), fresh coriander, and a squeeze of lemon before serving. If they're in season I like to add some fresh peas too :)
Yeah as someone who eats primarily vegetarian Indian food was a total revelation for me and has been a staple for as long as I started eating better. And really just such a plethora of flavors. My only "struggle" with it is trying to pack in protein without bastardizing recipes; I love chickpeas but there's only so many you can cram into a spread of food.

I know aloo gobi but must say I've only had a so-so few servings from takeout...

Drop that recipe Riff!

PhilKenSebben

Lord of Loss
Staff member
Robot
Apr 15, 2020
Cali
Ginger and asparagus. Interesting combo. Gonna have to try that one day :)
Love ginger! I put it in as much as possible! Been making my iced tea with mint and ginger lately and it's damn bomb! And ginger carrots have become a staple in my home over the years.

I've been experimenting with fusions or whatever people call it, when you mix different regions cooking. This one was really good. Ginger is very versatile, and is one of #1 ingredients in my chicken marinade now. The lemon pepper, ginger, and soy all melded together quite well in this dish. I cooked em all separately, until the end. Did a high heat browning/searing on the chicken, then dumped the rest in for 2min. Good meld, but everything was still itself, and the flavors all popped. Will cook again.

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
Yeah as someone who eats primarily vegetarian Indian food was a total revelation for me and has been a staple for as long as I started eating better. And really just such a plethora of flavors. My only "struggle" with it is trying to pack in protein without bastardizing recipes; I love chickpeas but there's only so many you can cram into a spread of food.

I know aloo gobi but must say I've only had a so-so few servings from takeout...

Drop that recipe Riff!
I'm primarily veg as well :) For proteins I eat lentils and various legumes, tofu, seitan, and tempeh primarily. I do eat dairy so cheese and the occasional egg help my protein levels.

For my Aloo Gobi it's about 50% potato 50% cauliflower both roughly chopped in bite-sized cubes. Starting with the potatoes in a pan with a couple spins of oil (if you can find mustard oil, fuck yeah! if not EVOO works just fine). Just a light sear on the potatoes and then dump in the cauliflower and enough water to cover the bottom of the pan about 1cm. Cover and cook about halfway.
Then add the spices and salt to taste. My special RiffRaff curry blend is dried coconut shavings, half of the amount of coconut dried garlic (not powder, but the one that looks like flakes) and dried onion (same, not powder, but flakes) and regular curry spice. If you don't like coconut you can nix it. Keep cooking and occasionally stirring till the potatoes and cauliflower are soft adding water as necessary to keep it quite moist. Toss in some fresh peas near the end if you want. Same for the fresh coriander (cilantro) if you like it. Finish with a squeeze of lemon.

Sam

Village Idiot
May 17, 2020
I'm primarily veg as well :) For proteins I eat lentils and various legumes, tofu, seitan, and tempeh primarily. I do eat dairy so cheese and the occasional egg help my protein levels.

For my Aloo Gobi it's about 50% potato 50% cauliflower both roughly chopped in bite-sized cubes. Starting with the potatoes in a pan with a couple spins of oil (if you can find mustard oil, fuck yeah! if not EVOO works just fine). Just a light sear on the potatoes and then dump in the cauliflower and enough water to cover the bottom of the pan about 1cm. Cover and cook about halfway.
Then add the spices and salt to taste. My special RiffRaff curry blend is dried coconut shavings, half of the amount of coconut dried garlic (not powder, but the one that looks like flakes) and dried onion (same, not powder, but flakes) and regular curry spice. If you don't like coconut you can nix it. Keep cooking and occasionally stirring till the potatoes and cauliflower are soft adding water as necessary to keep it quite moist. Toss in some fresh peas near the end if you want. Same for the fresh coriander (cilantro) if you like it. Finish with a squeeze of lemon.
I had this incredible tofu claypot meal at a Vietnamese restaurant a few years ago and I've been chasing that ever since haha. Can't say I've tried too often, but my home-cooked attempts at making something where the tofu holds some flavor (or even a good shape...) have been mostly failures.

This recipe I just saw recently though, and looks really good... Lot of frying, but maybe that's what it takes to get my tofu firm.

But thanks, I'll be looking into that 'gobi soon! And I love coconut, so I'll even up my quantity! Got this really great cookbook recently (Fresh India http://meerasodha.com/about/books/) that's been successful with that masala I made. But the book has a lot of recipes that rely on spices that, to my surprise, I mostly have already! Indian cooking has sort of been defined in my mind by ingredients that I just don't have, but really it's a lot of long simmers of vegetables. At least, the stuff I'm interested in cookin'!

• Love
Reactions: RiffRaff

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
I had this incredible tofu claypot meal at a Vietnamese restaurant a few years ago and I've been chasing that ever since haha. Can't say I've tried too often, but my home-cooked attempts at making something where the tofu holds some flavor (or even a good shape...) have been mostly failures.

This recipe I just saw recently though, and looks really good... Lot of frying, but maybe that's what it takes to get my tofu firm.

But thanks, I'll be looking into that 'gobi soon! And I love coconut, so I'll even up my quantity! Got this really great cookbook recently (Fresh India http://meerasodha.com/about/books/) that's been successful with that masala I made. But the book has a lot of recipes that rely on spices that, to my surprise, I mostly have already! Indian cooking has sort of been defined in my mind by ingredients that I just don't have, but really it's a lot of long simmers of vegetables. At least, the stuff I'm interested in cookin'!
I like to marinate my tofu in a very small quantity of soy sauce (or umeboshi vinegar if I'm feeling daring) for like an hour or so before cooking it. Helps a looooot! And, yes, pan frying does make it nice and firm. A light sear is very nice :) Sear it up in a separate pan and then toss it into the more liquidy stuff you're cooking :)
That book looks interesting, gonna grab the Kindle version :)

Reactions: Sam

Sam

Village Idiot
May 17, 2020
I like to marinate my tofu in a very small quantity of soy sauce (or umeboshi vinegar if I'm feeling daring) for like an hour or so before cooking it. Helps a looooot! And, yes, pan frying does make it nice and firm. A light sear is very nice :) Sear it up in a separate pan and then toss it into the more liquidy stuff you're cooking :)
That book looks interesting, gonna grab the Kindle version :)
Interesting, see I would think marinating it in anything would undo any attempts to drain it, but I guess you sort of drain—>marinate—>drain again..?

It’s a great book! Made the masala again just now with leftover ingredients. Keep my friends fed haha.

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
Interesting, see I would think marinating it in anything would undo any attempts to drain it, but I guess you sort of drain—>marinate—>drain again..?

It’s a great book! Made the masala again just now with leftover ingredients. Keep my friends fed haha.
Yeah, Drain>marinate (like I said, not much at all, don't cover it. For a 200g block of tofu I cube it, toss it in a bowl and add about 1-1/2 tbsp of soy and toss it a bit with my hand)> wipe off the marinade with your hand.

Reactions: Sam

Boxman214

World's Okayest Chef
May 10, 2020
Tried Mountain Mike's Pizza yesterday because CJ (I think it was him) talked it up on Podtoid. The pizza was good, but not life altering in any way. The breadsticks were fantastic!
IMG_20200605_185506126.jpg

IMG_20200605_185344088.jpg

PhilKenSebben

Lord of Loss
Staff member
Robot
Apr 15, 2020
Cali
It was treat yourself day at my house yesterday. So here we have two fatburger patties, seasoned with everything. Two slices of velveeta. Sliced Nathan's pickles. A pile of bacon, honey mustard, garlic aioli, and all on a toasted Hawaiian bun. Grilled like a fry cook. I proceeded to go into a meat coma, shortly after.
20200611_081933.jpg

• Love