We had forums!?

Parismio

Lemon Zinger
May 11, 2020
Noneya
Wow it's so cool for Dtoid to finally have their own forums. It's a brave new world innit? I cant wait to abuse the hell out of it.

Reactions: zatoseyes

D-Volt

Haruspex/Menkhu
May 10, 2020
I'm pretty excited honestly. Love the fact it's built similarly to Resetera, which in my opinion has one of the best forum designs.

I liked posting on Resetera, NeoGAF (before The Great Purge), and other video game forums now and again, but I always found I kinda got lost in shuffle. It never really felt like I was becoming a more recognized member of the community.

I've been browsing Destructoid since 2010 and made an account in 2012. In that time I've made hundreds of comments, been featured comment multiple times, made over 200 quickposts, a few blogs, and even got front paged once. Oh, and was in the old Dtoid Discord. RIP Communicord. (Edit: Communicord is still up. I just confused it with another Quasi-Dtoid Server Which Shall Not Be Named)

So it'll be nice to finally be part of a video game forum with a community of people I recognize and who likely recognize me. For once I'm not starting from scratch and getting nowhere.

Last edited:

✨ Matt ✨

Garbage Pail Kid
May 10, 2020
We had forums, then we didn't, then we had forums again for like a month, then we didn't, then we had forums but they weren't Destructoid forums, and now we have this.

Reactions: vxxy

Whispering Willow

The Flame the Abyss
Staff member
Robot
Apr 15, 2020
so what's the story behind why the old forums were closed?

It's complicated, but it boils down to it becoming unwelcoming toward new members, hurling shit at staff, admins modding the forum software such that they carelessly opened security exploits and becoming a hotbed for GG conspiracy theories.

There was an intervention by Niero, they freaked the hell out and doubled down. Then the worst elements left, made their own "newer and better" forum and it collapsed for its own yet similar reasons.

Moral of the story: Don't use a forum as your exclusive personal playground to be miserable

AdmiralAckbong

May 11, 2020
It's complicated, but it boils down to it becoming unwelcoming toward new members, hurling shit at staff, admins modding the forum such that they carelessly opened security exploits and becoming a hotbed for GG conspiracy theories.

There was an intervention by Niero, they freaked the hell out and doubled down. Then the worst elements left, made their own newer and better forum and it collapsed for its own yet similar reasons.
wow. such a rich and vibrant history. thanks for the info! maybe it'll burn down again but for something harmless, like bunny girls or too much siege.

vxxy

Huggable Mascot Character
May 11, 2020
Arendale
It’s a bit more complicated than that but essentially yeah. There was toxic bullshit, Niero tried to deal with it, nothing good came of that so he deployed the nuclear option. That was years ago and now we have new forums wooo.

D-Volt

Haruspex/Menkhu
May 10, 2020
Yeah. And this time, we're doing everything we can to ensure that these forums are properly managed and cared for. We want it to feel just like any other part of Destructoid.

I think the strategy with the slow rollout is a solid one. Obviously we won't really know how things are going to go until an offical link and advertising are on the front page and the floodgates open, but so far so good. Easy does it!